PDA

View Full Version : Should I consider this?

Cazz
22-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I've just had an email enquiry from someone potentially looking for a childminder from September. It's 2 days a week for a 4 year old and it would be one term (until Christmas) collecting from school at 12.00 until 5.00pm and then from Christmas collecting at 3.00pm until 5.00pm. The problem is the school in question is about 5 miles away from me. :(

I don't know whether to say no outright or whether to consider it. At the moment I could really do with some more mindees and it's very quiet on enquiries around here at the moment but September is quite a way off and anything could happen by then. Two days a week collecting 5 miles away could have an impact on me being able to take other after school mindees but if things don't pick up it would be some welcome extra work!

If I did consider it what should I charge? At the moment I charge £3.20 per hour for all mindees and don't have to use my car. Should I charge a higher after school rate from Christmas as it would only be 2 hours and how much would you charge for using the car? (Mileage charge?).

Also, I suppose I would need to cover myself with a deposit (or retainer) as September is quite a way off - how much would I charge and how does a retainer work?

Oh, I just don't know - if it was starting immediately I think I would say yes and see how it goes, but I'm in two minds as I don't know what work I will have (or potentially have) in September.

What would you do?

Carpet Monkeys
22-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Personally I would ask the parent to contact me in June, as things may be on the up for you and you may be taking up a full time place with one you know is going to reduce down to just 2 hrs a day.

miffy
22-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I'd meet the parent and then decide.

I would think about charging a higher hourly rate - you might not be able to fill the morning place and also charging a collection fee to include the expense of having to use your car to collect.

Miffy xx

chels55
22-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Ask her to call you nearer the time to see if you have avalibility, you may be glad of it then as our situation changes so much.
I charge £5 ph for the before and after school children so it could be worth your while

Cazz
22-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Ask her to call you nearer the time to see if you have avalibility, you may be glad of it then as our situation changes so much.
I charge £5 ph for the before and after school children so it could be worth your while

I just thought to myself that I could ask her to contact me nearer the time when I have more idea what mindees I will have in September.

I have two hourly rates - my normal hourly rate is £3.20 per hour for 8.00am - 6.00pm and £5.20 per hour for childminding outside these hours. Would it be okay to say that before and after school children would be at the higher hourly rate (or possibly a bit less) even though it falls within my normal working hours? Does that make any sense at all? I'm just trying to decide now for any other enquiries that may come in. At the moment I don't have any school age children so I've never had to give this much thought!