PDA

View Full Version : Please help - termination of contract

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone ever had a bad argument with a parent? I'm upset and angry.
I need to give parent a letter tonight to end this contract, how would you word it and is it ok to handwrite it?

jojane
22-02-2010, 06:24 PM
whats happened? need a bit more detail to help you

sandy64
22-02-2010, 06:29 PM
hi hun is it worth sleeping on it? i no it seems bad at mo and i dont no what its all about so cant comment but sometimes the next day doesnt seem as bad. yes of course you can do it by hand just looks better if typed but you get same across. if its got to be just say due to a( change) of circumstances i will be giving you ?weeks notice to terminate contract sign and date keep it brief check contract for notice period good luck and sending you a hug :)

Goatgirl
22-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi twinkletime,
Oh dear, sounds like you're feeling horrible: haven't had the same experience exactly but have felt very uncomfortable and mistrusting of a parent before. ..
Can't really help much but yes, you can write a termination letter freehand. Remember to keep a dated copy though, and get the parents to sign to say they have recieved it if you can. They may be awkward if you've had a row.

Hope you get it sorted soon and can put the experience behind you.

bws,
Wendy

miffy
22-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Don't know what's happened but I'd say don't do anything whilst your upset and emotional - will it really matter whether you give notice tonight or tomorrow.

It's fine to hand write notice - keep a copy for yourself. Make the letter to the point and professional - you do not have to give a reason so just something on the lines of

Dear xxxx

I am giving 4 weeks notice to terminate our contract for xxxxxx (child's name). My last day of work will be ............... (date).

Yours Faithfully

Hope you're OK

Miffy xx

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Started contract sept, was told child had odd accident (wee). Was not stated in contract jus mentioned on initial meeting. I have since found out that this meant the child could not control bowel movements, I have been supportive and tried to carry on with contract but I am looking after additional children 3 under 2,a total of 6 children all within my numbers. And cannot leave the other children alone for the amount of time it takes to clean This child.
Anyway had to call mother to collect today due to mess, and she questoninly asked whether I was looking after too many childrenas other childminders would of dealt with it.
Please advise.

her8y
22-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Are you within the settling in period?

I agree that sleeping on it is the best option (obviously not knowing how serious disagreement was/is).

If you do decide to terminate I would keep it impersonal and just say... Due to a change in circumstances I am no longer able to provide childcare for xxxx.

Therefore as per the conditions of our contract, please accept this letter as four weeks notice of termination of contract. The last day of childcare being......

sending lots of (((((hugs))))). Let us know how you get on.

newandlearning
22-02-2010, 06:38 PM
hi sweetie.. I'm a feeling for ya.. I know its pants when you feel undervalued and not taken seriously but I'd give yourself a couple of days.. see what the parent says and then take things from there...

if you feel you are able to tell us a bit more of what happened then I'm sure we'd all be willing to offer some more support and ideas.

In the meantime ... :group hug: xx

her8y
22-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Oops posted at the same time...

sandy64
22-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Started contract sept, was told child had odd accident (wee). Was not stated in contract jus mentioned on initial meeting. I have since found out that this meant the child could not control bowel movements, I have been supportive and tried to carry on with contract but I am looking after additional children 3 under 2,a total of 6 children all within my numbers. And cannot leave the other children alone for the amount of time it takes to clean This child.
Anyway had to call mother to collect today due to mess, and she questoninly asked whether I was looking after too many childrenas other childminders would of dealt with it.
Please advise.

hi i think it sounds like shes at the end of her tether and just took it out on you im sure we would all still find it hard to keep cleaning a lo whilst careing for others as its easy to change lo nappies but this is like you say taking longer and you cant watch the other lo when not in room. you also no youre in youre numbers so dont let that get to you. i do understand youve probably had enough right now but as i send in last post id sleep on it.

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you so much, you are all extremely supportive and have replied in seconds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels undervalued, sometimes feel like I am not taken seriously at all and that my job is a joke. When you tell them you are registered with the CSSIW they don't even seam to care or think it is of any value.

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 06:56 PM
The thing is the child also has additional needs and can be hard work at times, lately I have been feeling stressed thinking about the week ahead, spending most of my weekend dreading the week!

sandy64
22-02-2010, 07:04 PM
i think maybe youve had enough finding to hard which isnt anythink youre doing wrong hes like you say hard work maybe needing one to one care at mo which would benefit him. which you cant give and youre dreading each day so dispite todays arguement it may ave been waiting to happen. if you really feel like this all the time terminate contract for your own sanity.

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 07:07 PM
i think maybe youve had enough finding to hard which isnt anythink youre doing wrong hes like you say hard work maybe needing one to one care at mo which would benefit him. which you cant give and youre dreading each day so dispite todays arguement it may ave been waiting to happen. if you really feel like this all the time terminate contract for your own sanity.

Thanks. If I give letter to terminate today and my termination period is 2 wks does this mean my last day is Friday 5th march or Monday 8th march?

sandy64
22-02-2010, 07:11 PM
well it really should be the mon but depends on parents they may agree the fri are you really feeling that you need to do this tonight are you 100% i no it sounds like you are but please be very sure will you see mum tonight ?

Tippy Toes
22-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm sure, cant cope with it anymore and don't appreciate parents talking down to me in my own home.
I won't see her tonight, she sent text saying I assume you will no longer want to care for x. I really don't want to see her tonight so was goin to post termination letter through letterbox?

sandy64
22-02-2010, 07:22 PM
if you do post it tonight you maybe should put a letter in explaining its not a spur of moment thing and that you have tryed your best working with him and am sorry it hasnt worked out and maybe mention a few good points this will soften the blow and you want feel bad. next time you see her, take care hope it goes well if you need a chat you can pm me.

The Juggler
22-02-2010, 10:58 PM
that's awful hon. i would sleep on it though. I had a nightmare scenario with behaviour a few years back. long story but when I finally gave notice I got things like 'i though you were supposed to be able to deal with behaviour', you just can't be bothered with terrible 2's and you're really unprofessional! It's awful but they are just taking frustrations out on you.

She's probably worried she won'[t' find anyone else if you give him up.

Write the letter calmly tomorrow. Do what's right for you.

X

guest3
23-02-2010, 12:17 AM
You sound like you've had a really bad time! I've just had to tell one of my parents that I can't cope with their LO's screaming constantly any more. I feel awful as they say she's fine at home but I know she loves me....just wants me to carry her round all day!

Hope it all works out for us both

Wendy xx