PDA

View Full Version : Before I start my Risk Assessments

linda2girls
22-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Is there a set layout I have to use? Is it compulsory to have a Danger Level column - low, medium, high?

I have no idea what I'm doing, I've seen a couple of examples and they are both different, so just wondering if there is a right/wrong way of doing them?

Thanks,
Linda.

noble76
22-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Is there a set layout I have to use? Is it compulsory to have a Danger Level column - low, medium, high?

I have no idea what I'm doing, I've seen a couple of examples and they are both different, so just wondering if there is a right/wrong way of doing them?

Thanks,
Linda.

Hi Linda

You find the following information useful, Five steps to risk assessments at this link http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg163.pdf

In terms of grading the 1 to 5 this is more useful in larger organisations where in will take a long time to implement the measures to minimise the risk. They would tackle the highest priority ones first.

However it is up to you to decide which is best for you and your setting.

I hope that helps if you have any more questions please let me know.

Thank you

Lisa

linda2girls
22-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Thank you, that's great.

Linda.

sarah707
22-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I have heard of childminders being told to have a grading for RAs by Ofsted...

I do on some of mine but not on others. As I am updating them this year I am adding the information.

1 is low... 2 is medium low... 3 is medium... 4 is medium high... 5 is risk of death or serious disabling injury.

Hth :D

Pauline
22-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I've got thoes 5 steps on a little poster I made on my wall. Each one is on a step :)

Step 1
Identify the hazards
Step 2
Decide who might be harmed and how
Step 3
Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions
Step 4
Record your findings and implement them
Step 5
Review your assessment and update if necessary

linda2girls
22-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Pauline - would you have those headings on your risk assessment table?

I've attached a RA for crafts and resources. Could you have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Linda.

Pauline
22-02-2010, 09:34 PM
They are lovely Linda, excellent RA's :thumbsup:

I don't think you need to add it to be worded exactly the same, yours is fine, unless you want to. :)

miffy
22-02-2010, 09:41 PM
You need to have a review date on your risk assessments (within a year of when they were done)

Miffy xx

linda2girls
22-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you Pauline and Miffy. I will add a review date, forgot about that.

Linda.

Pauline
23-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Well spotted Miffy, cancel specsavers :laughing:

miffy
23-02-2010, 07:42 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Miffy xx