PDA

View Full Version : outside space

terrydoo73
22-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Living in the country I have an extremely large outdoor yard - have been told this is definately a highlight of my setting!!:blush: Anyway it is built on a slope and I have the usual ride-ons, slides, playhouses etc as well as football net at the lower end of the yard - makes it easier for the younger ones to kick the ball:laughing: Problem I have is a gate at the lower end of the yard which sits higher than the yard itself if you understand. Constantly the ball goes below the gate and I am getting so fed up with it :angry: Anyone any suggestions of how I can stop this - need to do something that makes the balls stop at the bottom without being a health and safety issue. I have tried wooden pallets but they blow down and am constantly scared of them falling on the kids. What is beyond the gate? Cows and dung!!

mama2three
22-02-2010, 02:49 PM
can you fasten some of that plastic chicken wire to the bottom of the gate? It should be flexible enough to let the gate open but strong enough to stop things going under. havent explained that very well , no idea what it is officially called!!

terrydoo73
22-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Have tried the chicken wire idea - only problem is it never stays in place and is not really firm enough to stop balls rolling on through - also have the problem of twins who are nearly 2 and just love to try and crawl underneath the gate itself!

mama2three
22-02-2010, 02:55 PM
put the football goal across the front of the gate and the net should stop the balls - wont stop the mindees though!!

Ripeberry
22-02-2010, 03:11 PM
You could use plastic sheeting (strong), with a heavy piece of wood folded into the bottom and the top tied to the bottom of the gate. I'm sure I've seen that used in the countryside when they are trying to stop sheet escaping.

PixiePetal
22-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I know the feeling, although my garden is flat :thumbsup: House is in middle of the plot, have half of the bit behind the house for minding.

Cows all around us, well DH is a farmer!

I have a bit that needs temp fencing, so balls and children don't go into my 'non minding' part of the garden. DH is fixing a room divider across it so I can take it away when not working :thumbsup: :)

terrydoo73
22-02-2010, 03:14 PM
put the football goal across the front of the gate and the net should stop the balls - wont stop the mindees though!!

Have tried this too and it doesn't work!

TheBTeam
22-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Can you change the door to open out onto a flat surface and then fill in the gap with wood as it wont need to move to go up the sloped garden.

donnawalsh123
22-02-2010, 05:01 PM
attaching some rubber to bottom of gate will do the trick. and will still be flexable enough for gate to open.

cheap/old rubber door/car mat cut to size will do.

mushpea
22-02-2010, 06:50 PM
could you put somthing the other side of the gate like a sleeping policeman type thing so that your gate opens in to your garden and the item is placed the otherside of the gate , this way the gate would open on to the item, the balls couldnt roll through and children cant get through.

Tina O
22-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Could you hammer across a 'windbreak' - like used on a beach?

ajs
22-02-2010, 08:16 PM
tie the children to the gate