PDA

View Full Version : Over 8's registration

Rasharoon
11-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi
I look after a young girl (aged 8) before and after school. Do I need to have a separate policy or separate insurance (I'm currently insured with the NCMA).
I printed the Over 8's policy from the BCMA website and I'm confused where it states:
" I am permitted to care for children aged 8 years and over, providing the care I provide for them doesn’t impact on the care for the children I am registered to care and providing it falls within the total number of children I am insured for. I am insured through the NCMA/Morton Michel to care for a maximum of 11* children."
(* - to amend as applicable).
As it currently stands, my regsitration states I can care for 5 children under the age of 8 years. Of these, not more than 3 may be under 5 years, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time. Now I currently care for 2 four year olds and an 8 year old. I also have my own two children - aged 5 & 9.
Sorry if I've waffled here but I'm beginning to panic that I'm not covered for the 8 year old girl.
Can anyone advise.
Thank you.
x

buildingblocks
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Basically you should be fine. Over 8's don't count in you rnumbers - Ofsted s only thing is that you can't have too many of them that the care of the under 8's suffers. You also cannot have more children at one time than you rinsurance allows with NCMA i think it is 12 children. So i can have 6 under 8's and in theory another 6 over 8 on my insurance (shudders at the thought lol)

deb24
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I was told that over 8's are includein your numbers.They told me I am regitered for 6 in total 3 under 5's only one which can be under 1yr.3 over 8Is this not correct?

charleyfarley
04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I was told that over 8's are includein your numbers.They told me I am regitered for 6 in total 3 under 5's only one which can be under 1yr.3 over 8Is this not correct?

No you would be registered for three under five, of which only one can be under one
And three between the age of 5 and 8

Over eights do not count in your numbers.

Carol xx

susi513
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Deb, if you don't have any children of your own under the age of 8 you should be able to have up to 6 children under 8 years. Of these 6 no more than 3 can be under 5 and only one of these 3 can be under 1. The number of under 8s you can have will be stated on your Ofsted registration certificate. But the Ofsted registration certificate won't mention over 8s at all.

Which leads to some people mistakenly assuming we can't look after over 8s. But we can if we want to.

As well as your Ofsted registration you have to check your public liability insurance certificate which states how many children you are insured to care for altogether at any one time. Usually up to 12 if you work alone. So you could have up to 6 over 8s in addition to your 6 under 8s. But although Ofsted don't restrict how many over 8s you care for they will expect you to ensure your care of over 8s does not compromise the quality of care provided for the under 8s. So, to comply with this (and also to retain a little sanity!) most of us prefer to be careful not to go to the max numbers with over 8s.

HTH

deeb66
04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Deb, if you don't have any children of your own under the age of 8 you should be able to have up to 6 children under 8 years. Of these 6 no more than 3 can be under 5 and only one of these 3 can be under 1. The number of under 8s you can have will be stated on your Ofsted registration certificate. But the Ofsted registration certificate won't mention over 8s at all.

Which leads to some people mistakenly assuming we can't look after over 8s. But we can if we want to.

As well as your Ofsted registration you have to check your public liability insurance certificate which states how many children you are insured to care for altogether at any one time. Usually up to 12 if you work alone. So you could have up to 6 over 8s in addition to your 6 under 8s. But although Ofsted don't restrict how many over 8s you care for they will expect you to ensure your care of over 8s does not compromise the quality of care provided for the under 8s. So, to comply with this (and also to retain a little sanity!) most of us prefer to be careful not to go to the max numbers with over 8s.

HTH

Well said Susi

deb24
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM

HTH

Ah bless you, thanks for explaining makes more sense now.