PDA

View Full Version : Level 4/5 degree

tinkerbell_85
14-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm looking at starting a degree as the gov have said they will fund it. has anyone else done this? or in process?
Just would like a bit of feedback if possible to which courses people find effective.

Tinkerbell :jump for joy:

sarah707
14-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm currently doing e123 and e124 with Open University which will give me a level 4...

It's ok! Hard work, but ok :D

tulip0803
14-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I am doing a Level 4 each week at a local Uni on a Monday eve. I am loving the course but sometimes fitting the work in is hard. The Early Years course I am doing is specifically for Wales as it deals with the Welsh Foundation Phase & Welsh bilingualism, which is part of the foundation phase, but I enjoy the course. Except the thought of the 10 minute assessed presentation that I have to give this Monday and be videoed doing it:eek: .

kaz1501
15-03-2008, 08:01 AM
I did E123 & E124 which gives me the certificate in Early Years Practice (including the letters Cert. EYP (Open) after my:littleangel: name ) It was good but time consuming. I am now continuing to study for the foundation degree but I am not enjoying it as much. I think, to be honest, I have lost the incentive as I am quite happy with a level 4.

Good luck

Karen

manjay
15-03-2008, 08:10 AM
I am doing a Level 4 each week at a local Uni on a Monday eve. I am loving the course but sometimes fitting the work in is hard. The Early Years course I am doing is specifically for Wales as it deals with the Welsh Foundation Phase & Welsh bilingualism, which is part of the foundation phase, but I enjoy the course. Except the thought of the 10 minute assessed presentation that I have to give this Monday and be videoed doing it:eek: .

Are you learning Welsh for this Julia? I have struggled with trying to get on a basic welsh course. Round here they only do full day courses which is no use to me.

Good luck for Monday

amanda xx

tinkerbell_85
15-03-2008, 08:21 AM
so you don't have to carry on after you have done the first couple of modules?

I have been offered the course thro open university or my local college.

Do you have any seminars with ou?

Tatia
15-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Tinkerbell, where are you doing your course? I'm doing mine through the Open U. I know that you can just do the first two courses (which I'm working on now - E123 and 124) and have a Level 4 certificate. You don't have to go any further. I'm not sure what it's like if you're going through a local college.

I did NVQ3 at college (Monday evenings) and hated it. Never got any work done there. I much prefer what I'm doing now, through the Open U, studying from home in my own time. I find it much more compatible with my lifestyle. I think it depends a lot on how effectively you can manage your time and study independently.

tinkerbell_85
15-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I haven't started it yet, will start September but looking into it now. quite keen on the OU course, will find it less restricting but do u get much support?

Tinkerbell x

sarah707
15-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I have tutorials every couple of months, lots of online support - but it's a bit complicated to use the software - for me anyway!

I've met childminders who are on my course in Manchester who are now on here and we support each other too :D

tinkerbell_85
15-03-2008, 08:57 PM
thats good then, your not handed the work and left at that.

think i will go for the OU course. the local council is paying for it so i might aswell.

Thanks guys. x

Tatia
16-03-2008, 07:50 PM
But the beauty of it is, you can be left alone to get on with it, if you choose. I don't go to tutorials and rarely visit the course forums. I prefer just to get busy and e-mail my tutor with any specific queries.

lindylou
16-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi i am doing the E123 and E124 through the ou am finding it hard going but as sarah says there is a lot of support out there especially on this site.
You can get the level 4 first and then go on to do the foundation degree
Linxx

tinkerbell_85
17-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I have filled in my forms and sending them off tomorrow, really looking forward to it now, shame its not til october. Gives me a chance to get the biz up n running.

xxx