PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children with assistants: I'm confused.com!!

OrlandoBelle
22-02-2010, 11:43 AM
My husband who is registered as my assistant has just completed his first aid and now has his certificate.

I phoned Ofsted this morning to let them know, thinking that he would automatically be able to be left with children for short amounts of time (i.e. school runs), but as it turns out we have to complete ANOTHER variation request which can take up to two weeks :mad:

I have just read Ofsted's information sheet on using assistants and there's a bit which is confusing me (highlighted red at the bottom). Does this mean that they WON'T grant permission if the assistant wishes to be left with children when they are are sleeping or in bad weather?

The requirements cover:
 minimum overall ratios
 the need to always have one person who holds a paediatric (baby and child)
first-aid certificate on the premises at all times and also on outings (we treat
any time away from the premises as an outing, including school pick-ups)
 risk assessments and suitable emergency arrangements, for example if
there is a fire
 the arrangements in place for when staff and assistants are absent
 the need for assistants to be aware of and understand your policies and
procedures, and
 the arrangements in place for supervising students and any adults who have
not been checked by us.
We can agree for assistants to be left alone with children for short periods of time,
either on or off the premises if:
 you can show that you meet these requirements all the time
 we agree that assistants are suitable and it is in the best interests of
children.
We will not agree to this if it covers long absences but only to cover times like:
 if a baby is sleeping and would have to be woken up to go out
 leaving children at home when you or your assistant collects children from
school, for example in bad weather

Just trying to fill out our variation form, and while there are other factors and reasons for my hubby being left with the kids, these two reasons are also included. I have to collect a child at 12pm which is usually when 3 of the 5 other children are taking their nap. Whilst we will not be able to fit all 5 children in the car (as it will be 6 on the way back), I also do not want to wake them up and disrupt their routine. Just trying to figure out how to word it as I have to proove we are providing for the child's best interests.

TammyN
22-02-2010, 12:23 PM
they will agree to assistants to cover sleep times or short school runs but not long absences!! this is how i have read it anyway? good luck
Tammy xx

My husband who is registered as my assistant has just completed his first aid and now has his certificate.

I phoned Ofsted this morning to let them know, thinking that he would automatically be able to be left with children for short amounts of time (i.e. school runs), but as it turns out we have to complete ANOTHER variation request which can take up to two weeks :mad:

I have just read Ofsted's information sheet on using assistants and there's a bit which is confusing me (highlighted red at the bottom). Does this mean that they WON'T grant permission if the assistant wishes to be left with children when they are are sleeping or in bad weather?

The requirements cover:
 minimum overall ratios
 the need to always have one person who holds a paediatric (baby and child)
first-aid certificate on the premises at all times and also on outings (we treat
any time away from the premises as an outing, including school pick-ups)
 risk assessments and suitable emergency arrangements, for example if
there is a fire
 the arrangements in place for when staff and assistants are absent
 the need for assistants to be aware of and understand your policies and
procedures, and
 the arrangements in place for supervising students and any adults who have
not been checked by us.
We can agree for assistants to be left alone with children for short periods of time,
either on or off the premises if:
 you can show that you meet these requirements all the time
 we agree that assistants are suitable and it is in the best interests of
children.
We will not agree to this if it covers long absences but only to cover times like:
 if a baby is sleeping and would have to be woken up to go out
 leaving children at home when you or your assistant collects children from
school, for example in bad weather

Just trying to fill out our variation form, and while there are other factors and reasons for my hubby being left with the kids, these two reasons are also included. I have to collect a child at 12pm which is usually when 3 of the 5 other children are taking their nap. Whilst we will not be able to fit all 5 children in the car (as it will be 6 on the way back), I also do not want to wake them up and disrupt their routine. Just trying to figure out how to word it as I have to proove we are providing for the child's best interests.

Goatgirl
22-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi :),
I just had my daughter added to my certificate as my assistant able to be left at home with Early Years children while I go on the school run etc. I have to also have parents written permission for this.
She couldn't do the school run for me however, as the over 5's are covered by different rules: the requirements of the childcare register and she isn't able to care for them alone until she's 18 (she's 17) !

I'd keep it simple: what you want to do plus very simple reasons why :)

Good luck...
bws, Wendy

TheBTeam
22-02-2010, 01:07 PM
It would cover you for short trips to say pick up a loaf of bread from your local shop say gone 20 mins, pick up 1/2 an hour from the school, but it will not cover you for a 5 hour hair highlighting appointment, or a 3 hour shopping trip to town.

OrlandoBelle
22-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Thats OK then. I would never have my hair done or go on shopping trips whilst working anyway! Thats what weekends are for.

I need the variation purely for school collections and collecting a mindee 3 afternoons a week. Each are 15-20 minute round trips, so no problems there. Also my assistant would need to take 2 mindees with him to collect a third mindee while I stay at home with 3 mindees (if this is possible) to enable me to stick to my numbers. We can't fit 6 children in the car as well as the two adults in the front.

My brain just isn't working today. Now that i've re-read it again, it makes sense! Lol. Must have my baby brain in today! :blush:

TRACEY1969
24-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Thats OK then. I would never have my hair done or go on shopping trips whilst working anyway! Thats what weekends are for.

I need the variation purely for school collections and collecting a mindee 3 afternoons a week. Each are 15-20 minute round trips, so no problems there. Also my assistant would need to take 2 mindees with him to collect a third mindee while I stay at home with 3 mindees (if this is possible) to enable me to stick to my numbers. We can't fit 6 children in the car as well as the two adults in the front.

My brain just isn't working today. Now that i've re-read it again, it makes sense! Lol. Must have my baby brain in today! :blush:

i don't understand why does your husband need to take 2 mindees with him and you stay home with 3. Why can't you have them all at home?

OrlandoBelle
24-02-2010, 06:09 PM
i don't understand why does your husband need to take 2 mindees with him and you stay home with 3. Why can't you have them all at home?

Because that would mean I would have 5 children on my own while my assistant is not with me. I'm only registered to care for 3 children under 5 on my own, and 6 under 5's when working with my assistant.