PDA

View Full Version : NVQ 3 help! Disability & SEN

cas2805
21-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Please can you help me with a question for my NVQ level 3.

"Write how you have completed an activity that enabled a child with a disability or SEN to participate. Include details of any changes that you have made to the environment"

As I haven't cared for a child with a disability or SEN, I am told to just write what I would do if I did.

The nearest I have come to this is I cared for 2 boys with ADHD. The only thing I can write about is that I often had to give them quiet time apart, though I would have done this with any children who misbehaved!

Please can you give me some ideas?

Thanks, Caroline

sarah707
21-02-2010, 10:04 PM
The children were sitting at the table doing some colouring.

You look after a child who has seizures and she struggles sitting in a chair.

You bought her a chair with arms and a tray so she could sit with the other children at the table...

The children were playing in the garden with the sand.

You care for a chiild with chronic eczema who cannot use sand because it hurts his skin.

You bought some superhero gloves for the child so he could play alongside his friends...

You were going to the park with the children.

One child is in a wheelchair and the park gates are too narrow for the wheelchair.

What do you do to make sure you are inclusive? You go to a different park...

Hth :D

Probey9
21-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Depends what the disability is I suppose but could you not just simply carry out a colouring activity? Providing different pens, pencils and crayons, I have some crayons which are very large for those who don't have good hold. Also I bought some crayons that you can put on your fingers for those who may have problems with their hands. Large printed pictures to colour for those who have sight problems. This would include all children no matter what age or disability and it keeps it simple for you to write about, that's what I would do. Hope I haven't rambled too much and that it may help.

cas2805
22-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks to you both, I will get on with that part this evening, I was really struggleing with it, so left it to last and has to be completed by Thursday.

Thanks again
c x