PDA

View Full Version : Registering the Business

linda2girls
21-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Shall I phone and register my business this tax year or wait until after April? I have already started spending on bits and pieces and have kept receipts. I intend to use an accountant, but didn't really want to pay an accountant for the sake of a couple of months. Can I register after April, and keep the receipts for then.

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.

Linda.

funfunfun
21-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Shall I phone and register my business this tax year or wait until after April? I have already started spending on bits and pieces and have kept receipts. I intend to use an accountant, but didn't really want to pay an accountant for the sake of a couple of months. Can I register after April, and keep the receipts for then.

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.

Linda.

I too have bought items ......would be interesting to see your replies !!

funfunfun
21-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I too have bought items ......would be interesting to see your replies !!

I think for what i have been told ....keep every reciept over £10 and when you start put it down as strart up costs and then .....when you start minding put it as a loss !!

(i think )

Zoomie
21-02-2010, 09:14 PM
You shouldn't carry expenses / income from one year to the next, so register now for this tax year and declare a loss (all your expenses) against your SE earnings.

then next year you'll be able to do your accounts as usual, but there is a place right at the end of the declaration, where you will be able to carry forward this years loss, and thus pay less (or no) tax, if any is due.

linda2girls
21-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will phone and register soon.

Linda.