PDA

View Full Version : Childrens abilities / religion etc

AliceK
21-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi
I've been told I should have some kind of form for new parents to complete giving me information about their childs abilities to date when they join me. Trouble is because of the enourmous age range possible (birth to 5) I just don't think this is possible so am wondering what all you experienced minders use. It was my Ofsted inspector who marked me down because I didn't have one. It would say on it for instance if a 4yr old had scissor skills??? Please help.
Also how do you collect information about religion / languages spoken at home etc?? Do you have a form or do you just ask.
Thanks so much

xxxxxx

Pipsqueak
21-02-2010, 08:21 PM
i have an All About Me form that parents fill in
If you have a look in the Free Resources section at the top of the page you should find the Early Years Passport in the downloads section. That might give you some idea :thumbsup:

sarah707
21-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a simple form split into the 6 areas of Learning and development.

Each area gives parents an idea of the kinds of things I am asking.

So Psed asks them to talk about their child's likes and dislikes, fears, how he separates from his parents etc;

CLl asks them to talk about their child's enjoyment of reading... etc

I don't expect parents to fill it all in though! I do it with them over the child's first few weeks.

Hth :D

nokidshere
21-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a few pages of basic skills in my folder which I use to record timescales.

for instance..

page 1 - Fine Motor Skills

(pic of scissors)

I know what these are ....
I can hold these .............
I can make a cut with these....
I can cut out a picture with these...
I can cut round a shape with these..

(pic of pencil)

etc etc

Page 2 - Large Motor Skills

(pic of someone walking/running

I can crawl...
I can stand....
I can walk....
I can run....

etc etc

Next to each item I put a date and age as they learn to use the item and, if I have one, a photograph showing them using/doing it.

Oh, and the parents fill in the things they can already do when they arrive - if they don't I start with my own assessment.

Probey9
21-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I have recently started to give out an All About Me booklet, I give this to new parents so I can learn a bit more about new starters. It does help, especially with the younger children that cannot make themselves understood.

AliceK
22-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you very much, have had a look at the EYFS passport and will adapt and use some of that.

Thanks
xxxxx