PDA

View Full Version : hourly or daily rate?

haribo
14-03-2008, 12:41 PM
hi all hope everyone ok . i need a bit of advice. do any of you charge an hourly rate for a full day ie 8.00 - 6.00 or do u put a cap on it you see i charge £25 for a day but ive not had to do such a long day before but have a little boy 10 hours and feel its unfair on my other parents who pay £25 for 9.30-4.30. i could kick myself for not insisting on hourly rate, but they were very vague about what time thed pick up and as theyre teachers i naively thought would be 5 ish.i am thinking of sayingi will charge £25 up to 5.00 or 5.30 and if they pick up after that its an additional £2 or maybe £4 ! i just have a feeling they leave him till the last second iyswim cos i said i was open till 6.00 !!any ideas or advice would be welcome x

Banana
14-03-2008, 12:43 PM
I charge hourly. Depends on what you prefer but daily rates tend to work out that you charge a cheaper rate than if it was hourly so I dont like doing it this way

x

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Think we all make mistakes sometimes

I charge by the hour too

Have you signed a contract with them yet or confirmed any payments ?

Angel xx

haribo
14-03-2008, 12:51 PM
thanks for a quick reply! yes i think ive been stupid but most of my parents are teachers and all come around 4-5 but these seem to want to leave him to the last second so it feels like im doing much more for them. i will have to bite the bullet and explain that i need to charge more as its a long day and they may try and get here sooner which would suit me as the last hour does drag on and the little one watches all the others go one by one and its a shame for him too. xx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck

Keep us posted

Angel xx

berkschick
14-03-2008, 12:56 PM
I charge hourly too, makes things easier I think!

haribo
14-03-2008, 12:59 PM
believe it or not ive been doing it almost a year! the contract is due for review now so i will have to do something. the thing is mums on mat leave till sept so i have the little one 2 days then in sept will have baby also full time so will be more money but i also dont charge for school hols so feel i should be getting paid properly at least! also if they ask is there discount for sibling will have to be a big no, feel i am being taken for a mug already!! xx

ruby
14-03-2008, 01:21 PM
we charge an hourly fee

Daily fee would not work with us as our's leave between 4.30-7.00pm

cathy

sarah707
14-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a couple on a daily fee (but only if it works out in my favour)...

Most are hourly, charged to the 1/4 hour :D

emler
14-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I charge hourly as well but my mindees are all part timers. If I had full timers I think I would set a daily rate

Emler x

ma7ie
14-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I used to charge set fees, but soon learnt from that mistake.

I now charge hourly. :D

Pudding Girl
14-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Hourly for me too, apart from before/after schools, then it's session rates - I do it this way after seeing my cousin start out a few yrs ago and do the oppo, charge daily rate and then hourly for school age, s her house is always full to the brim, yet she makes hardly any real money after expenses.

Noodles
14-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi i charge by the hour too. I always feel that it isnt fair if you charge by the day as some mindees are with me for 7 hours others could be here for the full 10 hours so i think the fairest way is by the hour:)

Lou
14-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I charge 3.75 an hour or 32.50 for the day, that way if they book the whole day they are actually getting a discount of 50p an hour, works out better for me as i prefer them to book the day, would rather have them all day than bits and pieces.

The full day is 8am-6pm and if they come any later than that they are charged at my unsociable rate and a late fee.

25 is cheap for the day, i would put it up when you review contract.

button68
14-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Absolutely everyone around here charges a daily rate - nobody does hourly, although I can see the advantage of the hourly rate.

I've been lucky so far because the daily rate has worked out best for me. I say the daily rate gets you 8am - 5.30pm. 1 family comes 9am-4pm, 1 family comes 8am-4pm and the last one 8am-5.30pm

So it is swings and roundabouts here but at the moment I'm winning :D

haribo
14-03-2008, 04:07 PM
thanks everyone, i think i am going to change to hourly, mind you think they will soon realise they can pick him up a bit earlier. in fact mums at home anyway theres no real need for him to be here for so long poor little mite . x