PDA

View Full Version : Late fees .........AGAIN!!!!!

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I am sooo fed up with this family now. I had to speak to them last month regarding paying me late, guess what their DD's fees were due Monday and still nothing!
I was off sick on Tuesday so when I was back on Wednesday I gave them a revised invoice minusing they day I had off. I thought this may give them a suttle kick up the bum. Thursday it was still shoved where Dad had put it in LO bag so I said last night could you please give it to your wife (as she writes the cheques), he said he would so I expected to be paid this morning. Guess what......no payment and the revised invoice still in DD's bag!!!!!:angry:
I know now they will expect me to take a cheque on (maybe) Monday. By the time that clears it means payment will be more or less 2 weeks late! I don't have a late payment fee written into my contract yet as I am reviewing at the moment! I really don't know what to do, this LO is one of my FT'rs so it a big chunk of money I am short!
The way I feel at mo am seriously thinking of jacking it all in, sick of being taken for a mug! Don't know whether feel angry or sit down and cry, I truely have had enough of it all!!

Angela xx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Poor you Angela

Dont jack it in just yet - you are having a bad day and these parents are taking advantage of you

I only have one parent that pays me by cheque and she gives it me 5 days before it is due - because then it clears on time
Maybe you could suggest the same in future

If it was me and im getting tough lately I would give them a call and say

" I think you have forgot that your fees were due on Monday could you please pay me later with out fail - thanks ! I expect money in cash because I have some bills to sort out ! "

Dont ask why they are late - dont give her an option to answer you with pathetic excuses

Just ask for your money Simple

I think over the weekend you need to write you a policy for late fees and explain that you will charge £5 a day starting from the ........ If fees are late

Angel xx

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Angel. It just annoys me so much. Why cant they just pay me on time? To be honest because of this don't think I got any chance of them paying 5 days before.
Seem to be having the same convorsation with them every month! It so unfair!

Angela xx

Banana
14-03-2008, 12:52 PM
i know its hard - i have the same problems.

if you can just say that you need the money, you cannot wait, you have financial commitments

good luck,

i feel for you

xxx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I would def introduce the late fees then

I had a new parent the other week let me down and she was ill the one week so late with my payment

She had signed and agreed to the late fees so I would not have her child back till she paid the fees for the week he came back and for the late fees from the week before

She soon found the money and has not been late since

My rule is simple and a bit harsh now because I have been messed around so much
No fees - No minding

You should think about it because it really does work

Good luck

Angel xx

berkschick
14-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Ive had the same problem with not being paid this week so you have my sympathy!

It really winds you up doesnt it. They remember to bring their kid, just forget to pay.

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Just replied to your thread Debbie

What a cheek

Hope you both get it sorted asap

It is YOUR MONEY so dont stand for it

Angel xx

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Ive had the same problem with not being paid this week so you have my sympathy!

It really winds you up doesnt it. They remember to bring their kid, just forget to pay.

Totally agree! I am really annoyed and it doesn't help that all week they have been telling me what a wonderfull time they have just had on their weekend in Euro Disney :angry: !!
I think why I find it hard is that I have really good relations with all my parents and it is always in the back of my mind that maybe this will break down if I come down on them hard! Obs though relations arn't so good cause they continue to take the p*s*!
Dad will turn up tonight and I will have worked myself up all day to say something and I know he will come the same time as another parent! Should I ask him to wait for 5 so I can speak to him or would you say that you would phone them later?

Angela xx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I would ask him to wait and say you need a quick word

I have been in this situation so many times over the years - wonder why really we are so scared and make ourselves so stressed about asking for OUR MONEY

I would just be straight - would not explain myself or anything

Last year I had one of my regular parents say she was going to stagger my months payment

I had to stop her and say " sorry but NO - I have bills to pay and you cant do that "
I then asked how she would feel if her boss staggered her wages

She could not answer me - I felt awful and was shaking inside

But it worked shes never once been late or messed me about since

Hope you sort it

Angel xx

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Angel that is exactly how they make me feel whenever I have to say something. I end up like you said shaking inside and feeling sick! I will try and say something tonight!
I wrote a letter last night, and put it to all parents but my DH thought it was too straight to the point. Can I paste it on here for you to take a gander?

Angela xx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Sometimes you have to be straight

Yes put it on

Angel xx

berkschick
14-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Its easy for me to tell you what to do but I cant do it myself haha

I would ask the parent to stay and chat to him about it tonight.

It does wind me up though, we take great care of their kids and only want what is rightfully ours.

I had problems with another parent which was resolved by them setting up a standing order.

My other parents are fantastic and pay in advance no problems. Invoice goes home one day and a cheque back the next. Another parent pays me cash on the day although today will be tricky as its bank hols next week and she should pay me for then too!

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Dear Parents,
I am writing this letter as I feel in a very awkward position and do find it difficult talking about the subject of money. I am sure however that as working people yourselves you can all appreciate the importance of knowing when you are to expect access to monies earned.
With the end of the financial year approaching I have been going over my financial records and have noticed that over past months I have been receiving fee’s later than the due date. This accompanied by the fact that I am mostly paid by cheque means that I am actually not able to access these monies for up to 2 weeks after the due payment date.
As I am sure you will all agree it is essential to know when you will have payment, not only for bills but for the other things in life which we all work for. I have continued to sustain being paid late for several months but feel I now have to address the situation as it is having a knock on affect to my family and I committing to future plans and arrangements. For example we had been trying to book a holiday with friends for the summer, however every time our friends found availability I was unable to commit to a booking as I was unsure as to when exactly I would be paid and cheques cleared.
I have stated in previous letters I would rather change payment dates to suit individuals own salaries being paid than being in limbo every month and being unsure as to when I will be paid. The other suggestion I can make is being paid in advance, on a weekly rather than monthly basis, in cash on the first session your child attends.
If you wish to review payment arrangements please feel free to make an appointment so we can come to an agreement which suits both yourselves and I, this will make things a lot easier for myself and undoubtedly you.
I do try to be as understanding as I can, all I ask is to have payment on time. Due to this I will be reviewing contracts this month and putting in a clause of a £5.00 per day late payment fee. Please respect that I am running a business.

Yours Sincerely

Angela

What do you think?

Angela

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I think your letter is great

I have sent you a sample one also

Good luck hope you are brave enough to give the letter and ask for payment

Angel xx

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I think your letter is great

I have sent you a sample one also

Good luck hope you are brave enough to give the letter and ask for payment

Angel xx

Thanks very much Angel. So do you think I should give them my letter tonight after I have had a word?

Angela xx

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes I would give them the letter

Good luck

Angel xx

casey's mum
14-03-2008, 01:44 PM
As per usuall have received the kick up the bum I need!! lol

Thank you all

Angela xx

ma7ie
14-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Poor you Angela

I think over the weekend you need to write you a policy for late fees and explain that you will charge £5 a day starting from the ........ If fees are late

Angel xx

I was just wondering, can you implement new policies on parents if they have already signed contracts and they aren't up for renewal yet.

I'm confused as to whether I would have to wait until it was the time to review it (which I do once a year)

I know you can't put fees up until then, or am I wrong.:D

wendywu
14-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Get them to do a standing order into your bank. If they pay by cheque it would be no different for them. This is not on.

If dad always picks up tell him he has to write a cheque out on payment day. Then they can sort it out between themselves.:angry:

miss muffit
14-03-2008, 03:01 PM
My childminding friend charges £5.00 a day late payment ...and she gets it K:) :) :)

childminder54
14-03-2008, 03:31 PM
hi my mindees if they want to pay monthly they have to pay me a month in advance...

good look

Kelly
14-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Last month one of my parents was late paying and after asking every day for 4 days I eventually said that I would not be able to except a cheque for last month as that would mean another 4/5 days waiting for my money and they must return with cash (last Friday) eventually got it Saturday morning (they said they had to get it out over two days) but at least I got it. Maybe your parents will pay you cash this week so you do not have to suffer anymore.

Good luck tonight I hope all goes well.

Kelly

buildingblocks
14-03-2008, 05:29 PM
You need to do a general notice in your next newsletter explaining to all parents that if fees are late then you expect to paid in cash and this is not open to negotiation. Also put in the bit about would they be happy if they were not paid on time and they wouldn't expect Tescos to let them go a week without paying so why should you.If parent complains it was aimed at them tell them tough they should have paid you on time (okay posibly don't do the last bit lol)

i have a late fee and it is on all my contracts but have never had to implement it (do allow parents to be late if they okay it with me and for a good reason)

cuddlybunny38
15-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Another thing to maybe add when talking to the parents is will they please supply the childs meals as as you have not recieved payment you can not afford to shop for the child as you only budget for you family when not paid so will not be able to feed them see if that has any effect. could even ask for loo roll( only joking)

Chimps Childminding
15-03-2008, 01:58 PM
i have the same problem with one of my parents on a regular basis! she asked if she could pay weekly, but she now owes me 3 weeks. I know I always get it, and feel awkward asking but like you have all said, they wouldn't like it if their employers didn't pay them for weeks at a time! :angry:
and then the eldest child fills me in on where they have been and what they have bought over the week-end!

I find it even more awkward as she lives over the road so i see her every day, even if it isn't the days i have her children, but she never thinks to drop it off!

I am sure some of the parents think that we use their money as "pocket moey" and that we don't actually NEED it to pay bills etc!

Ok moan over, will just have to get stronger!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, its nice to know you are all there to have a whinge to! it saves June's ears once in a while (she lives next door) and she must get fed up on me moaning to her! :laughing:

casey's mum
15-03-2008, 04:06 PM
hi my mindees if they want to pay monthly they have to pay me a month in advance...

good look

Mine all pay me a month in advance, this payment is for this month which was due last Monday 10/03/08.

Cuddly bunny, good tip about the meals thing, I supply all meals and never thought about mentioning this!

Angela xx

wendywu
15-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Carolyn if someone who lives across the road from you has not paid you for the last 3 weeks then she has serious money problems. I would watch out as you could find yourself in the same situation as some of the other members being owed large amounts of money and having to chase it through the courts.:(
People do not pay like this for a reason and it is usually that they are in debt. It is easier not to pay you rather than credit cards, or the gas and electric, as these people start legal proceedings a lot quicker. Just be careful.

RedDragon
15-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Late payment is such a pain.

I have started a monthly newsletter (1 parent told me I had too much time on my hands) :censored:

When parents pay on time say a thank you in the newsletter explaining how much it means to you. That way you can have a heading regarding payments every single month

e.g. Payments: This month I was paid on time by everyone - big thank you - this enabled me to purchase ............. items for your children to play with this month.

Don't think this would be against confidentiality (someone tell me if you think it does) :blush:

A few of my CM friend's put in a £5 a day late fee but I never use it (although I do have it in place) - I just moan to my friends - I think because we are in such close contact it's quite difficult to put in place.

I find it easier to email people rather than say face to face so my 1st step would be an email.

Good luck - you deserve to be paid on time.

wendywu
15-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Perhaps name and shame, a massive poster stuck to the outside of the front door for all the world and parents to see. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THAT PARENTS MR AND MRS J SMITH HAVE FAILED TO PAY ME AGAIN FOR THE THIRD WEEK IN A ROW. WHIP ROUND TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY:laughing:

That should give them a kick up the rear!!!!

Banana
15-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Perhaps name and shame, a massive poster stuck to the outside of the front door for all the world and parents to see. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THAT PARENTS MR AND MRS J SMITH HAVE FAILED TO PAY ME AGAIN FOR THE THIRD WEEK IN A ROW. WHIP ROUND TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY:laughing:

That should give them a kick up the rear!!!!

:laughing: :laughing:

brilliant :D

x

Trouble
15-03-2008, 11:04 PM
tell then your not doing cheques anymore cash only from now on

i stopped taking cheques for this reason

wendywu
16-03-2008, 01:30 AM
I dont take cheques as i cannot get into the bank during the week with all the little ones. So that means i have to go in on a sat morning and that eats into my time. If they do a standing order i still have to go into town of a evening and take money out which i dont like doing on my own. If i go in on a weekend i can only draw out £300 max per time, so thats no good. So cash it is:thumbsup:

miffy
16-03-2008, 07:46 AM
tell then your not doing cheques anymore cash only from now on

i stopped taking cheques for this reason

Good idea and say payment in advance too

Miffy xx

wendywu
16-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Yep thats what i do cash every monday in advance for the week to follow. That means that they have had all weekend to go to the cash machine. Except for the times that the vouchers go into my bank account, but they keep that ticking over.:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
16-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the advice Wendy - to be honest I don't think they are short of money (not by the things the little girl tells me they buy and get up to at the week-end) i think its more a case of I'm just not high on their list of priorities!!:angry:

wendywu
16-03-2008, 08:18 PM
You would be suprised Carolyn. My husband use to work with a man who just lived up the road from us. They used to go shopping every weekend. They got their 3 year old daughters clothes from Harrods and they only ever had designer clothes and shoes. She would think nothing about spending £350 on a handbag. They had two BMWs and used to take 3 week holidays in Thailand at least twice a year. I used to think how do they manage it when both men earn the same wage and she does a little part time job. This went on for over two years until the day they had the house repossessed. They both blamed each other for running up many different credit cards. They divorced and both of them ended up moving back in with their parents as they still owed vast amounts of money.

So when i see people throwing lots of cash around i never think how do they afford it, i think i wonder how much debt they are in.:panic:

But i would still walk over the road and ask for your money, you deserve it.:angry:

Chimps Childminding
17-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Wendy - I know what i should do, is jst that i have had their two elder daughters for coming up 8 years now and I fnd it really awkward! Just have to take some of those brave pills and see how I go!:thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
17-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Yippee!!!!!!!!!! finally got paid tonight!!!! all 3 weeks in 1 go! :clapping: :clapping: and i didn't have to ask! :clapping:

casey's mum
17-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Carolyn....congrats am glad you got your money!!

I finally had a cheque this morning! No sorry it late or anything!! OOOOO sooooo annoying! I know I shouldn't have accepted a cheque seeings as fees are already 1 week late but am biding my time as have revised all contracts tonight and have also done a late payment of fees policy which they will all be receiving tomoz! OOOO I would love to see there faces when they realise Angela has got tough!!! Revenge, for want of a better word, is sweet! No taking the p*s* outta me any more!
One lil question though what if they refuse to sign my new policy? Give them notice?

Angela xx

angeldelight
19-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Glad you got paid in the end Angela

I dont think they will refuse to sign your new policy - why would they - they are your rules

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

LottieLuLu
25-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I think it's so important to state that you expect cash, I like mine to be paid into the bank and ask that they put a refence on it.

I was fleeced once when parent gave me an envelope at pick up, I was too busy to check it there and then; when I did I found it was £40 short. They insisted it was right amount!!:angry:

Be strong girls!!