PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your certificates in your hallway

Jelly Baby
20-02-2010, 01:29 PM
For when parents walk in or just pop them up when ofsted come?!
I know a few who hate their houses looking like an office so don't put them up. I have recently redcorated all our hall and it is nice and new looking without the certificates up, usually have:

Insurance
Ofsted certificate
food hygiene
child protection
parents poster
my foundation courses x 2
think theres another but the above are all A4 so takes up quite a bit of room!

So shall i put them up or not?! (had my parents for years now so they all know i'm up to date as such!

Hebs
20-02-2010, 01:32 PM
i dont cos it is my home :thumbsup:

I have them in my file that all parents see, and i show them the updates ins and ncma ones when i got them.

Ofsted ins was fine with my explination as to why they arnt on display, even if they werent happy i wont put them up cos it is MY home :D

janminder
20-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes I have certificates etc. in my hall:

Registration Certificate
Food Hygeine
First Aid
NCMA Insurance
Gas Check
Smoke Alarm and Fire Drill Dates
School Holiday Dates

like you had most my parents for years but think its a good idea to keep them there. My doors into the hallway are covered in picture posters, world map, uk map etc also.

jelly15
20-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Have them up in playroom so I can shut the door when not minding and forget about work.

Pudding Girl
20-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I was under the impression that we had to have them displayed by law? Is that not the case?

I have mine behind my front door on the wall so nobody can see the details from outside.

Allie
20-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I have Ofsted insurance and copies of all my qualifications (they fade) in the playroom along with fire evacuation brief instructions voucher scheme info

Allie

Mouse
20-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I've got a bookcase in my hall & on the side of it I've got my registration certificate, my outstanding provider certificate, my insurance certificate, my first aid certificate, Ofsted poster, welcome poster & something else that I can't remember off the top of my head!

They're all A4 & fit nicely down the side of the bookcase. I don't mind them being there. The side of the case faces the front door, not into the hall, so you only really see them as you walk through the door. I wouldn't want them on the wall where they were in full view all the time.

Hebs
20-02-2010, 01:54 PM
the only one i have up is the ofsted complaints one

Mouse
20-02-2010, 01:59 PM
i dont cos it is my home :thumbsup:

I have them in my file that all parents see, and i show them the updates ins and ncma ones when i got them.

Ofsted ins was fine with my explination as to why they arnt on display, even if they werent happy i wont put them up cos it is MY home :D

Do you not have your registration certificate on display? Were Ofsted OK about that?
I thought we had to have our certificate & the Ofsted parent poster up.

nokidshere
20-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Do you not have your registration certificate on display? Were Ofsted OK about that?
I thought we had to have our certificate & the Ofsted parent poster up.

I refuse to display certificates and stuff in my hallway. Inspector asked me where it was and I told her in the folder in my office. When she said I should have it on display I asked her why and she couldn't tell me. (Because Ofsted say so isn't a good enough reason as far as I am concerned)

My reasons for not having it are:
All my parents get a copy in their welcome folder
The folder is available to all of my parents at any time
I do not get passing trade
No-one in the setting needs to see it (ie the children)

Having discussed this with her she couldn't give any real reason why it needs to be there so it isn't. She did not mark it down as an action which would indicate that its not one of their jumped up "legal" requirements!!!

Hebs
20-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I refuse to display certificates and stuff in my hallway. Inspector asked me where it was and I told her in the folder in my office. When she said I should have it on display I asked her why and she couldn't tell me. (Because Ofsted say so isn't a good enough reason as far as I am concerned)

My reasons for not having it are:
All my parents get a copy in their welcome folder
The folder is available to all of my parents at any time
I do not get passing trade
No-one in the setting needs to see it (ie the children)

Having discussed this with her she couldn't give any real reason why it needs to be there so it isn't. She did not mark it down as an action which would indicate that its not one of their jumped up "legal" requirements!!!

exactly, this is MY home.
I told her all my certificates are in my file which ALL parents see before signing contracts,
i DO have the parent poster up, but only as it looks "kiddified" but i refused to have the others up on display, my ofsted inspector was fine with it :thumbsup:

christine e
20-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I have mine (reg cert and parents poster) on display in my kitchen. I do not like the idea of having them in my hallway as anyone standing on my doorstep can see that I am a childminder and I don't like that idea from a child protection point of view.

Cx

Mouse
20-02-2010, 02:16 PM
That's interesting to know. I've never really queried it before, just done it.

I'm happy to have mine up though. At least I know where they are. I have a habit of losing paperwork if I file it away :laughing:

PixiePetal
20-02-2010, 02:29 PM
exactly, this is MY home.
I told her all my certificates are in my file which ALL parents see before signing contracts,
i DO have the parent poster up, but only as it looks "kiddified" but i refused to have the others up on display, my ofsted inspector was fine with it :thumbsup:

Friends have been told if they don't have certificate up, they will be inadequate!

Hebs
20-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Friends have been told if they don't have certificate up, they will be inadequate!

i got graded GOOD and she was ok with me not having them on display.

singingcactus
20-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I have mine up but as I have said before I don't have a pretty home - it looks more like a students digs lol, with posters and all sorts up. I don't like having it up though because it is ugly and plain and boring and the bluey green colour is ugly.
If I had a pretty home I would really resent being told what I had to have on my walls especially when there is no point to displaying it. No one sees it when it is on the wall, in a folder they would get to easily see it while they look through all the other junk we have to have :D .

wendywu
20-02-2010, 02:41 PM
They have to be displayed. That is different from being up on the wall.
They could for example be out on the top of a side board to be displayed.:)

Mollymop
20-02-2010, 02:46 PM
naughty naught very naughty:laughing: - they HAVE to be displayed at all times for the parents. If ofsted decided to pop in for any reason and you didn't have your insurance and registration, parents poster , etc displayed you will be in trouble:D

I have mine in the hallway on the wall . x

singingcactus
20-02-2010, 03:01 PM
You don't have to have your insurance displayed, you just have to have it.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-02-2010, 03:01 PM
As part of our registration we must have the parent poster and certificate of registration on view at all times. My parents get a copy of both and updates as they change so i don't display them all the time.

For official visits I have a cork board which hangs over the top of my photograph in the hallway and then it comes down again

Another necessity which we could all do without.

francinejayne
20-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Mine only arrived this morning so I'm more than happy to display it!!! :)
Though I agree it is very boring so I'm thinking about adding a bit of sparkle and twinkle to it first!! Do you think Ofsted would mind?!?!?!
:laughing:

AliceK
20-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I was under the impression that we had to have them displayed by law? Is that not the case?

I have mine behind my front door on the wall so nobody can see the details from outside.

I thought we HAD to as well. I have a cork noticeboard on the wall behind my front door so it's all up on there but if I DO decide I want it down I just take the noticeboard down, I don't usually bother though, I've got used to it being there now. As above, because it's behind the front door no-one can see it unless they are actually INSIDE the house.

xxxxxx

nell57
20-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I have mine out on one of those display boards made out of cardboard, that I can fold down at the end of the day and tuck it behind the consall table in the hall. So its well out of site outside minding hours :thumbsup:

dlissaman
20-02-2010, 03:45 PM
My Ofsted Certificate and Outstanding Provider Certificate are on the far side of a display cabinet between the Lounge dining room and and kitchen. Out of view from visitors. My Ofsted inspector (ofsted last month, outstanding) agreed with me when i said this is my home.

I do have a corkboard that hangs from the childrens pegs in the porch that has the Ofsted parents poster on and any current information. This gets put up and taken down daily.

Everything else is kept in my opperational plan.

Mollymop
20-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Outstanding Provider Certificate are on the far side of a display cabinet .

:clapping: Don't forget that one!!:laughing:

charleyfarley
20-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Mine are displayed on the playroom wall, not that my parents get passed the kitchen to see them :D

I show them to them when they first visit and again if any of them change but that's it

Carol xx

Lady Haha
20-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Mine is on the hallway wall along with my first aid, insurance and membership certs! I also have the fire drill and smoke alarm check sheets on the wall there and the Ofsted Complaints Poster.

I don't mind, I kind of like it as it makes me feel important!:laughing:

essexgirl1967
20-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I have the Ofsted parents poster, Ofsted certificate and various important notices, like school term time dates etc on a noticeboard in my hallway. During my working day it stands on my shoe cupboard and as soon as last child goes home, I just stand it behind the cupboard if that makes sense. As far as all my insuranace and training certificates, fire plans etc, I bought a load of A4 magnetic fridge frames from Tesco, at about £2 each, put a certificate or display poster in each, and just stuck them on my fridge. Ofsted inspector thought this was ideal. HTH x

patevans
20-02-2010, 04:13 PM
For when parents walk in or just pop them up when ofsted come?!
I know a few who hate their houses looking like an office so don't put them up. I have recently redcorated all our hall and it is nice and new looking without the certificates up, usually have:

Insurance
Ofsted certificate
food hygiene
child protection
parents poster
my foundation courses x 2
think theres another but the above are all A4 so takes up quite a bit of room!

So shall i put them up or not?! (had my parents for years now so they all know i'm up to date as such!

The only certificate I have on show is my Registration certificate, the rest are kept in a file!

bandlady
20-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Interesting thread as I had never displayed my certificates in over twenty years of minding but at my last inspection I was picked up on this and had the following put on as a recommendation

•ensure the registration certificate is displayed at all times children are minded, along with the regulator's poster for parents and certificate of public liability insurance

needless to say I now have all required documents on a notice board in my playroom.

mama2three
20-02-2010, 04:25 PM
i have a artists canvas which they are all fixed on to which goes up each morning and comes down each evening - all on show when its a setting , but not when it reverts to a home. same with all my displays , childrens art work etc.

mamasheshe
20-02-2010, 05:08 PM
hmm can we laminate certificates ????

mama2three
20-02-2010, 05:09 PM

hope so cos i did!

Roseolivia
20-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Mine are displayed in the playroom. My partner would probably not be happy if i had them up in the hallway plus it's my home first. Parents see them if they come into the playroom (which isn't often)

Mouse
20-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Just be careful. I tried laminating my registration certificate & the machine chewed it up :eek: I had to send for a new one...though I did display the mangled one until the new one arrived :laughing:

TheBTeam
20-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I thought that the only insurance certificate that had to be displayed was if you had an employers liaibility insurance certificate, i have my ofsted reg cert and the parents poster along with other bits but not any training certificates.

Merry-Minder
20-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Mine is on the hallway wall along with my first aid, insurance and membership certs! I also have the fire drill and smoke alarm check sheets on the wall there and the Ofsted Complaints Poster.

I don't mind, I kind of like it as it makes me feel important!:laughing:

Im the same - I put mine up cause it makes me feel important and I am proud of them.:D

xxx

Jelly Baby
20-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Ok lol thanks for the replies.. i'm still sure what to do BUT while reading through i saw mama2three's post about putting them on a canvas board..that's a good idea as the hall is white and one of the main things that annoyed me was when i redecorated the blue tack marks will not go and we have a couple of greasy spots..(newish house so not best pleased!)
SO thin canvas board with them on..or whatever i can fit on and then i can take down each day if need be and put behind the shoe rack!

OR!! do i just copy them all..give to parents (who know i have them anyway) and explain why and then put them up on the board when new parents come to visit me..hmmm

Thanks ladies

Tam's Tribe
20-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Mine are up in my hall! as well as our Theme Board!

amanda1309
20-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I have copied my registration, first aid and insurance certificates and laminated them. I also have the OFSTED poster laminated. They are blue tacked to my downstairs toilet door.

miffy
20-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Mine are in photo frames on a unit and I put them away when I'm not working.

Miffy xx

nokidshere
20-02-2010, 09:50 PM
But why do they need to be there? Who's benefit are they for?

Gizmo
20-02-2010, 10:01 PM
My reg cert is framed and on the wall in the my hall the rest of my certs are in folder and the parents can see this at any time they ask :thumbsup:

Probey9
20-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I display, my registration, insurance and the parents poster. I have laminated them and they are displayed in my hallway. As far as I was aware we had to and to be honest I don't notice them and it means Ofsted will be happy, why rock the boat.

Hebs
21-02-2010, 08:42 AM
it means Ofsted will be happy, why rock the boat.

Ofsted were fine with mine being in a file all together x

PixiePetal
21-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Ofsted were fine with mine being in a file all together x

Just shows that Ofsted Inspectors interpretation of 'displayed at all times' varies like everything else :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
21-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Registration, PL and Parent poster HAVE to be displayed during working hours. You will find that in all settings. Most places (and not just childcare settings) HAVE to display the PL so I don't think its just a 'because Ofsted says do'.

Having had my inspection a couple of weeks ago - let me tell you the story:

the previous evening I had been to a network meeting and my DW needed a copy of my reg and PL - so I had taken them with me. I had stuffed them back into my folder and forgotten to put them back up on the morning of the inspection.
Inspector asked me where they were, so I got them out of the folder and the only reason she believed me that they are normally on display was the fact they still had the blu-tak on and you could see where they went on the wall. she told me to put them back up immediately

SO yes you do have to display during working hours. And to be honest I am proud of my reg certificate.
All other certificates are in a folder.

little chickee
21-02-2010, 11:21 AM
i agree - the registration certificate must be displayed during working hours.

I have a kids cloakroom area at my front door with my reg certificate, fire drill poster, house rules and shoes off poster on the wall. My CC officer loved the area and gave me a 6 on my inspection because of it.

Hebs
21-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Just shows that Ofsted Inspectors interpretation of 'displayed at all times' varies like everything else :rolleyes:

:laughing: even they cant decide

ajs
21-02-2010, 12:36 PM
well my reg cert is stuck on the pin board in the playroom right at the back and i doubt ofsted even saw it when they inspected me last.
i have my insurance doc in my file and although i have never been told to display it i agree with pip all business should display it.
my parent poster was on a cork board hung on the kitchen wall with ,my dairy and the activity planning but i took that down at christmas and haven't put it back yet:blush: and i don't think there was anything else

Tina O
21-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I have my 1st aid, insurance, registration cert, fire/emergency evac. poster and no smoking poster up in the entrance area of my house, is off the hall and when the door between that and the hall is closed (like it is 99% of time) then you don't see them, but parents can as they come and go! ;) ;)

claireLouise
21-02-2010, 03:22 PM
It is my understanding that it is a legal requirement to have them displayed while you are open for business so you could put them each morning and take them down at night. Too mucgh hastle I keep them up all the time, forget their there really. No one who is a guest has ever commented on them.

It would look really bad if you had a spot /unannounced inspection and they were mnot on display!

Kind Regards

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
21-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I have mine on my kitchen wall. :)

nokidshere
21-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I have emailed Ofsted for clarification of this point. I have also asked them to quote the Law that is being adhered to if this is indeed a "legal requirement"!

I will let you know what they reply :D

Jelly Baby
22-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Aaah ok thanks ladies!! and thanks nokidshere i will await your reply! I will still put them on a canvas and display when required but tbh the parents i have i have had for years and hopefully will do for some years to come but i like the idea of any new parents seeing it up so will put them on a board for that reason.
Thanks

kentcfis
22-02-2010, 11:31 AM
http://ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Guide-to-registration-on-the-Early-Years-Register-childcare-provider-on-domestic-or-non-domestic-premises

95. It is a legal requirement of the EYFS that you display the certificate. If you lose, damage or destroy your certificate, you will need to get a replacement. There is a fee for this service.
For the current amount, please refer to the details in your application pack or on our website.

The certificate of registration
You must:
display the certificate of registration on the premises on which childcare is provided
display any notice of suspension of registration.

Page 22
http://ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Are-you-ready-for-your-inspection-A-guide-to-inspections-of-provision-on-Ofsted-s-Childcare-and-Early-Years-Registers

twiggy
22-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I also thought we had to display our Ofsted certificate and poster and insurance certificate. Mine are on display in the hallway and all my other certificates are kept in a folder to show new parents.

whisper_1981
22-02-2010, 01:11 PM
we have only just finished decerating the hallway this weekend and put all my certificates up on the hallway wall ok certificates are not the prettest things but i am proud of what i have acheved over the last year :) and once there up its done n dusted so dont have to worry about them lol

loocyloo
22-02-2010, 01:33 PM
my registration certificate is on the wall by the front door, plus my outstanding certificate! i'm proud of those! DH is resigned to the fact that everywhere he turns there is something childminded related!

parents poster on notice board in playroom, and everything else in my portfolio!

always been ok so far!

mama2three
22-02-2010, 02:13 PM
my registration certificate is on the wall by the front door, plus my outstanding certificate! i'm proud of those! DH is resigned to the fact that everywhere he turns there is something childminded related!

parents poster on notice board in playroom, and everything else in my portfolio!

always been ok so far!

if i ever get an 'outstanding certificate' ill photocopy it dozens of times and use it for wallpaper!!

zillervalley
22-02-2010, 09:20 PM
it was my understanding that we had to display them, my inspector comented on mine been inthe hall way, she said nice and central for parents to see

emma04
23-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I have my insurance and registration certificates in frames in my porch/hall and the rest are in the play room.

I have a hand washing poster in the downstairs loo and was going to remove it at the end of each day, but i leave it there to remind visitors and my own 5year old!!!!.....It works wonders and most visitors come out saying 'I followed your sign and washed my hands!!' lol :laughing:

babs
23-02-2010, 08:27 PM
i have mine on a pin board, up in hall way take it down when not working replace with a picture ... dont mess my hallway up .... slides under settee when not in use...