PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with a website on here..

Jelly Baby
20-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok i have my website advertised on here so therefore have added the link to this website. I have just run through my posts and have 1 i can see that is moaning about the kids i have the rest are advice (had a bad day!)..prob is i want to let the parents know about the website and use it to their advantage as much as new parents but have this niggling feeling they will click on the link to here and find my posts? has anyone else done this and thought about it? despite me not slating them all the time i am concerned they may think i slag them all off when i don't..
So what would you do? at the mo im thinking of taking it off here!
Thanks

huggableshelly
20-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I am too lazy to have a website for CM right now but have been thinking about it and have also thought about your concern too.

Most of the sections witihn the forum where we post to moan are private and only members can read. From what I've seen in the past Parents pop inand post but are kept on limited areas, most are usually looking for a CM or after a bit of advice they cant get from Netmums.

I think its great that Parents can see that you are active in a forum where you gain advice and offer advice. If you are concerned that they may catch you in here whilst online you can either do
1, stay away during working hours
OR
2, hide your online status

just remember to post moaning issues in private sections of the forum and keep chat nice and light in public areas as I'm sure you already do anyway.

Be Proud of being a member here, I even have this forum noted on my SEF stating that i am an active member allowing me to keep up to date with regular changes and gaining different ideads to help run my setting effectively.

suzyblue
20-02-2010, 08:09 AM
I've found that my posts from this forum come up on google!! Hopefully as I have great parents I havent slagged any of them off!!!!

The Juggler
20-02-2010, 08:20 AM
I've found that my posts from this forum come up on google!! Hopefully as I have great parents I havent slagged any of them off!!!!

:eek: :eek: there must be a way on your internet settings you can stop that!? so glad I don't use my real name now, not that I say anything awful but still....

someone told me in FB you click 'no indexing' to stop your profile posts coming up in google. might look if my ISP has a similar setting.

Tired
20-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that. :panic:

suzyblue
20-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks Juggler Ill try that

maryp0ppins
20-02-2010, 08:43 AM
:panic: me either,

iv not yet put my web page on here, so if i do will the parents iv moaned about see it,

& i admit iv had a bit of a bad day moan every now & then!

My post name is nothing i use in the 'outside world' though.

MarpleJollytots
20-02-2010, 08:47 AM
We have decided not to mention in any posts we make the Parent or their Child as i think it is breaking their trust. It is amazing how a quick google search brings everything up isn't it!

suzyblue
20-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I think if your user name on here would not identify you then you are ok

Pauline
20-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Ok i have my website advertised on here so therefore have added the link to this website. I have just run through my posts and have 1 i can see that is moaning about the kids i have the rest are advice (had a bad day!)..prob is i want to let the parents know about the website and use it to their advantage as much as new parents but have this niggling feeling they will click on the link to here and find my posts? has anyone else done this and thought about it? despite me not slating them all the time i am concerned they may think i slag them all off when i don't..
So what would you do? at the mo im thinking of taking it off here!
Thanks

You obviously haven't seen this thread, I've been doing it for a while:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42569

:D

Who says I don't think of everything ;)

suzyblue
20-02-2010, 08:58 AM
My problem is that my user name is my company name - dont think its because of my website.

Pauline
20-02-2010, 08:59 AM
I am too lazy to have a website for CM right now but have been thinking about it and have also thought about your concern too.

Most of the sections witihn the forum where we post to moan are private and only members can read. From what I've seen in the past Parents pop inand post but are kept on limited areas, most are usually looking for a CM or after a bit of advice they cant get from Netmums.

I think its great that Parents can see that you are active in a forum where you gain advice and offer advice. If you are concerned that they may catch you in here whilst online you can either do
1, stay away during working hours
OR
2, hide your online status

just remember to post moaning issues in private sections of the forum and keep chat nice and light in public areas as I'm sure you already do anyway.

Be Proud of being a member here, I even have this forum noted on my SEF stating that i am an active member allowing me to keep up to date with regular changes and gaining different ideads to help run my setting effectively.

Blimey pesty, that is the best advice! Just what I would have said.

Also, the private areas of the forum do not come up in Google :)

However, PLEASE post stuff you are happy to share in the open Forum areas, that will help childminders who are struggling and search Google for help. They will arrive here and get the support they need, we have all been there and know how important that support is :thumbsup:

manjay
20-02-2010, 09:01 AM
We have decided not to mention in any posts we make the Parent or their Child as i think it is breaking their trust. It is amazing how a quick google search brings everything up isn't it!

You are right. I try to keep my posts professional at all times and I always try to take a step back before posting. Am I being respectful of the families I provide care for? Am I breaking confidentiality?.

I prefer to do it this way and keep my links to the forum and my website listed on here than to go down the incognito route:rolleyes: but each to their own!

Had thought about chaning my user name to my business name but (a) I have been manjay for so long I couldn't get used to being someone else and (b) my business name is much longer to type in;)

suzyblue
20-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree, I would not say anything on here that I would be worried about a parent seeing.

Pauline
20-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I agree, I would not say anything on here that I would be worried about a parent seeing.

I think that is the best idea, then you are not worrying all the time and having to check what you say or do :thumbsup:

manjay
20-02-2010, 09:13 AM
There is nowhere for me to hide! You just have to type my business name into google and you get my forum name:D

Pauline
20-02-2010, 09:18 AM
There is nowhere for me to hide! You just have to type my business name into google and you get my forum name:D

and you should be proud of that, you are one of the original members, give the best advice going and are always so supportive and helpful, what better advert to prospective parents :thumbsup:

manjay
20-02-2010, 09:21 AM
and you should be proud of that, you are one of the original members, give the best advice going and are always so supportive and helpful, what better advert to prospective parents :thumbsup:

:blush: :blush:

mama2three
20-02-2010, 09:50 AM

me too! time to start watching my p's and q's !

The Juggler
20-02-2010, 10:03 AM
i just googled myself and the only thing that came up was a face-book link to a very young, gorgeous girl who was not me:laughing: :laughing:

patevans
20-02-2010, 10:30 AM
My ebay reviews came up and my forum posts :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jelly Baby
20-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi thanks for the replys. Pauline i have replyed on the other thread thanks.
I typed in tiny tots as thats my business name and nothing came up for me..the only post i have done is one about the kids on the school run playing up, the mum knew i hads issues etc and openly spoke to her BUT i wouldnt want them thinking i was slating them as i love my job and the kids 99% of the time are fab..we all have our bad days though hey?

huggableshelly
20-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Blimey pesty, that is the best advice! Just what I would have said.

Also, the private areas of the forum do not come up in Google :)

However, PLEASE post stuff you are happy to share in the open Forum areas, that will help childminders who are struggling and search Google for help. They will arrive here and get the support they need, we have all been there and know how important that support is :thumbsup:

woohoo do I get a big gold star now???

Pauline
20-02-2010, 09:38 PM
woohoo do I get a big gold star now???

Nope :laughing:

huggableshelly
20-02-2010, 10:16 PM
:eek: so not fair!:eek:

manjay
20-02-2010, 10:18 PM
:eek: so not fair!:eek:

Ahhh bless!!! I can just see you stamping your feet:D

huggableshelly
20-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Ahhh bless!!! I can just see you stamping your feet:D

lol I did too and pulled a real sad sulky face ... hubby asked what was wrong and when i told him that Pauline wont give me a big gold star he told me to send apm full of crying icons but it wont work (think i did that before lol)

so will just sulk in quiet now and no more stamping feet as my legs will get tired and its a waste of energy :p

The Juggler
20-02-2010, 10:31 PM
lol I did too and pulled a real sad sulky face ... hubby asked what was wrong and when i told him that Pauline wont give me a big gold star he told me to send apm full of crying icons but it wont work (think i did that before lol)

so will just sulk in quiet now and no more stamping feet as my legs will get tired and its a waste of energy :p

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: