PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have an additional room specifically for mindees..

Jelly Baby
19-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Sorry for long title! we are looking into getting our garage converted and i would love it to become a playroom. The builder has said he can do etc and all is well but my main concern is Ofsted saying no to it for some reason..i have heard a few people having different responces off them so how do you know whether the room will be granted as working space or not?
Thanks

helenlc
19-02-2010, 09:43 PM
It will just be the same as any room in the house that you want to use for minding.

You need to make sure its safe and suitable for the purpose of minding.

I had a conservatory built to use as a playroom - I risk assessed it and sent that to Ofsted with a letter requesting it to be added to my registered rooms. I pointed out that I have things like window locks, safe storage of toys, door locks, floor kept clear of hazards etc.

I dont see that there would be any problem. I didnt have an inspector come out - they granted it without a visit. Although I think they can visit. If they do refuse, then you can appeal and ask them why and put it right.

But if you just treat it as you would any other room in the house, then its quite straight forward.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Jelly Baby
19-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Ah ok thanks..basically it's our garage which is under the house. The access would be from the longe down some stairs so into a kind of basement room!, there would be a partition wall put up with fire door in so that there was proper access from the garage door too for fire regs as well as the stairs route. The lighting would be well lit spot lights etc and hopefully a lovely playroom (well i can see it but not sure dh can!)..
Was reading on here some people had, had their lofts granted and some not..just thinking if they said no after all the money/work id'e be pretty cross!
Thanks for your reply x

Nadine Beazley
21-02-2010, 11:49 AM
hiya

people's loft's are not registered by Ofsted because they are usually on the 2nd floor and are seen as a fire safety risk, too far up to be able to get out safely!

you should have no trouble getting your new playroom registered, as was said before, just do a really good risk assesment to prove how safe it would be!!!!

Jelly Baby
22-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks. See i'm suprised at the lofts as our bedrooms are on the second floor as we live in a town house and when i was finally checked (new house) they didnt even look up there just asked r.e cot etc..madness! I have no young ones sleeping up there anymore anyway!

jojane
22-02-2010, 01:20 PM
modern houses will conform to fire regs in regard to starway being fire resistant etc but a conversion doesnt always conform - ie stairs may go into another room first etc -

Jelly Baby
23-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok but surely my house being new or not doesn't change how a loft is done does it? I.e would have no access other than stairs down? This is the thing with the garage and an exit.

emma04
23-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I've converted my garage to a playroom and had no problems at all. See my website for pics if you want : www.scribbleschildminding.moonfruit.com
x

harrysgirl
23-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Lovely playroom!

Trouble
23-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I've converted my garage to a playroom and had no problems at all. See my website for pics if you want : www.scribbleschildminding.moonfruit.com
x

lovely website:thumbsup: