PDA

View Full Version : Words of widom needed

SparklingGems
18-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok so I have been told my crb will be done by 29th March so I have a few weeks to get myself sorted. I already have some mindees lined up.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people have any advise or ideas of things that you wish you had known when starting minding? That you could pass on or things that you wish you had ready for your first day minding.

SparklingGems
19-02-2010, 01:44 PM
bump

I was really hoping for some inspiration when I logged on today

MissTinkerbell
19-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Don't try and do too much! Just sit and play with your new mindees and find out what they like doing - in fact do this for the first week - you need to get to know them and vice versa.

Not sure if there's anything I would have done differently as I was pretty organised anyway.

Make sure parents provide you with something familiar from home - my little mindee bought her teddy and a tiny photo album with pictures of mummy and daddy in it.

Get as much info about your mindees likes, dislikes, favourite things before they start.

sarah707
19-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Be strong and don't take the first child that comes along... sometimes we panic and think we have to take them, but we don't!

Also, from the very start, organise things on your terms... if you say you want 2 settling in visits, don't be bullied by parents who are too desperate or in too much of a rush to fit them in.

It's important to remember it's your business... your rules.

Good luck with it all! :D

Pipsqueak
19-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Be professional from the outset, remember you will be viewed as the childminder when you are out and about
Sarahs advice it spot on as well
start as you mean to go on and remember you are a business and not a charity. Get advance payments/deposit etc
Read your paperwork and know whats in it and that includes the contracts.
Relax and enjoy the work

go to the training on offer, attend network meetings and drop ins, network with colleagues where possible and connect with other professionals if you can.

if your area has a support/buddy minder scheme then take advantage of it

(ermmm.. try to be organised re the paperwork side of things lol but don't beat yourself up too much)

Polly2
19-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Be very careful when minding for friends/family. They can take you for granted. Make sure you put your professional head on and treat them as you would anyone else. :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
19-02-2010, 06:25 PM
When deciding your terms do it so that you won't end up feeling resentment if parents work strictly to them - in other words - don't set fees lower than those around you and/offer them lots of extras in the hope you will lure them as its my experience that most parents no matter how they start out will milk you for every ounce of blood they can get from you time wise just make sure you are happy with the fees and hours you agree to. - Don't believe them if they say they will always drop and collect at a certain time and could they just pay for half or quarter of an hour because they won't use the full hour as then they will end up being late and using it - Just say you were advised not to on your training course that you did through the council before you were allowed to set up - Don't name it or give them too much info about it - you won't know lots about them and they don't need to know lots about you. Also steer clear from friends and if you do mind for them state that they have to abide by rules/terms in the same way as all your other families do.

They are not your employers they are paying for a service you provide and they don't interview you they come to meet with you to see if you and your home can provide a compatable caring environment for the most precious things in their lives.

viki-kate
20-02-2010, 07:32 PM
im STILL waiting for my crb... how'd you find out it will be done by then...??

georgie456
20-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Be strong and don't take the first child that comes along... sometimes we panic and think we have to take them, but we don't!

Also, from the very start, organise things on your terms... if you say you want 2 settling in visits, don't be bullied by parents who are too desperate or in too much of a rush to fit them in.

It's important to remember it's your business... your rules.

Good luck with it all! :D

Very true. I have regrets with how I was walked over with my first set of parents. I learnt that you don't have to be a battleaxe to be firm!!!! I am much more assertive these days :)

miffy
20-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Start as you mean to continue - keep it friendly but professional - you can relax things when you get to know your families if you want to.

Above all remember you work for yourself and not for anyone else! :)

Miffy xx

The Juggler
20-02-2010, 10:03 PM
ask parents to pay in advance by standing order, then you won't have to ever ask for your money when it's late - hopefully.

nothing else to add except good luck:)