PDA

View Full Version : advice please!!

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm starting out as a childminder but working from another childminders house. Kind of like an assistant but will be registered myself.

We are trying to sort out how we will sort the money side of things, whether it be 50/50 or 60/40 or how much i should pay her for things.
was planning on giving her money each month to cover things for wear and tear, but how much covers it? so many questions, yet so little answers.

Can anyone give any advice?

Tinkerbell xx :confused:

ma7ie
13-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry I can't help you there, but good luck.:D

sarah707
13-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello and welcome!

That sort of thing is very difficult and depends on how much you are both earning, how many children you take on, who is responsible for food buying, who does most of the planning etc..etc

I suggest you sit and make a list together of everything you will need to cover, including the money side and work out who does what before you start... no misunderstandings that way.

Sorry I can't help on percentages. :D

Angela234
13-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry i can't help i don't know anyone who works with anyone else in their house. Good luck with it

Angela

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Thats a good idea Sarah, going to write a list now.

Its quite difficult as we don't know how many children i will be able to have.

xx

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I would also write a list

Be careful also - friends and money do not always go together if you know what I mean

Make sure things are really clear with you both before you start so no misunderstandings

Good luck

Angel xx

Trouble
13-03-2008, 10:41 PM
i used to work for my friend and it didnt work out after a while i her friend became

hi this is my assistant not hi this is my mate
and i got a better grade than her after only 3 months of doing this job and when i told her she wasnt happy at all

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:43 PM
think a contract will be done when we have sorted everything out so things can't be changed and we know where we stand. its getting to that stage.

What kind of outgoings do you have? can think of a few but not sure if i have got them all??

Appreciating the advice guys xxx

Trouble
13-03-2008, 10:46 PM
i had one but it kept changing so make sure its right in the first place

you do have a good laugh and its not as lonely but sort things out first

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I put an ad on gum tree asking if anyone needed a nanny or help and she replied to it. didn't know each other before hand.

Not sure what i will be classed as, assistant or just working from her house. so much to think of...

Money is a hard one as it does come between people but don't want it to be an issue. hoping once all sorted, everything will be good.

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:52 PM
what kind of expenses did you share?

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Could you do childminding in your own home alone ?

Angel xx

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 10:56 PM
no, have only a flat and not in a nice area. starting fresh at ? house.

Don't get me wrong, really keen and looking forward to it, just need to establish where we both stand, and what we will be paying.

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I understand some of our members also live in a flat though and find it works ok

Anyway I hope it works out for you

How long has this friend been minding for ?

xxx

tinkerbell_85
13-03-2008, 11:05 PM
she childminded for a couple of years and is currently on mat leave. going back at same time as me.

I'm sure all will sort itself out. thank you for your help and advice

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Sounds like it could be fun

Sure you will sort it out

Angel xx

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 11:40 PM
I hope it works out for you.:thumbsup:

miss muffit
14-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi thats a difficult one... Good luck to you both K:) :) :)

Splish Splosh
14-03-2008, 08:23 AM
hope it works out for you . good luck with your childminding.

Banana
14-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Hope it all works out for you!! Good luck

xx

ruby
14-03-2008, 09:27 AM
me and my daughter childmind together
we are both childminders in our own right

i know our situation is different from us being mother and daughter
but if you sort out all the nitty gritty things than it can be very rewarding having some one to talk to, share things with, bounce ideas off etc.

just wanted to say good luck to you both

cathy

tinkerbell_85
14-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys, hope it does too. xxx

karenjoy
14-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Good Luck hun!!!

DCS
17-03-2008, 08:27 PM
hiya,

things to bare in mind are,
1. who owns the premises
2. who's writing the policies
3. who's buying the equipment
4. who's suppling the vechile
5. who's responsible for planning / cooking/ cleaning
6. who's paying for advertising

obviously, 2 c'minders can care for increased numbers of children.

I think the owner of the premises should get a higher % as they will have higher running costs, e.g water, gas, electricity bills, wear & tear.

maybe both of you could try and rent a place solely 4 the biz as that way its easier to split costs and draw an income.

prehaps the best thing would be for you to be your friends employee, that way it'll b less stressful u could learn the biz and set up one your own one day, using the salary you receive from your friend whilst preserving your friendship ?

hope this gives u food for thought!

Cecile
x

tinkerbell_85
17-03-2008, 08:49 PM
thanks cecile, they are some good points.

we are still toying between to options, either 60/40 or for me to give her a bit of rent and towards the bills. both ways i think are good.

xxx

Tatia
18-03-2008, 09:08 AM
But then, she also gets to claim the expenses for wear and tear and phone and gas and all that because it's her house. You don't. Eek, I wouldn't even begin to know how to work it all out. I'd be tempted to seek legal advice. And for the record, if you're a registered childminder in your own right, then you should not be classed as an assistant. You would be co-workers. Equals.

tinkerbell_85
18-03-2008, 10:35 AM
if i pay her rent and money for bills, could i not use that as expenses? wouldn't she just have to declare it?