PDA

View Full Version : Paediatric First Aid

elaineg
13-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Talking to a childminder at school today, she says that all childminders now have to do a paediatric first aid course, as well as a normal first aid course, has anyone else heard this, dont want to do another first aid course unless I really have no choice.

love Elaine XXX

berkschick
13-03-2008, 09:43 PM
The compulsary first aid course for childminders IS the paediatric 12 hour one.

crazybones
My recent course was actually called First Aid for Childcarers (12 hour Paediatric syllabus OFSTED National Standards Compliant). This was arranged by my local Early Years.

littlestar
no no no i jus did my normal one and ofsted said thats all i needed dont want to do another surely there aint much diff please dont say we gotta do another i dont like um!:panic:

Trouble
you just have to do the pediatric one they cover everything anyway

littlestar
13-03-2008, 09:44 PM
My recent course was actually called First Aid for Childcarers (12 hour Paediatric syllabus OFSTED National Standards Compliant). This was arranged by my local Early Years.

yes mine too:clapping:

bubbly
13-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I became registered 5 months ago and only had to do paediatric first aid. I haven't had to do any regular first aid.

Kelly
13-03-2008, 09:45 PM
The first aid course that all childminders do is the paediatric course, as long as you have done the one that is 12 hours which was based on children rather than adults you are OK. Some providers call it paediatrics, some Early Years, some childcarers

Kelly

berkschick
13-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I became registered 5 months ago and only had to do paediatric first aid. I haven't had to do any regular first aid.

Nor did I, I had to do the paediatric 12 hour course and thats what it says on my certificate.
A friend already had first aid at work but she was told this did not meet national standards for childcarers and she had to do the 12 hour paediatric one too.

miffy
13-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree with Debbie - you have to make sure you are on the right first aid course - paediatric 12 hours suitable for childminders

Miffy xx

cuddlybunny38
13-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I started mine tonight its split into 4 3 hour sessions.Sharon:jump for joy:

Mollymop
13-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I did my first aid in December and i was suprised that, seeing as though the course and certificate is titled as Paediatric it was mainly about adults and we only covered a small amount of child related info and training.

sarah707
13-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I've got to re-do mine later this year... I hate it! :(

ma7ie
13-03-2008, 09:53 PM
There's information here for when the EYFS comes in http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/suitable/2.htm

miffy
13-03-2008, 09:55 PM

I've just said that on the other thread - only do the course because I have to

Miffy xx

Mollymop
13-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah everyone hates the frst aid courses don't they? When I went on mine in Decmber the first comment i heard from a c.m who was refreshing was " I hate this course, this is the worst"

elaineg
13-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Just looked at my certificate it says "First Aid for Babies and Children 12 hour course", but doesnt mention paediatric. In the new Early years training programe I have there are two courses One Paediatric First Aid and one 12 hour first aid for children and babies, both say Ofsted requirement next to the title.
Now Im confused as to whether I need to do another 12 hour course.

love Elaine XXX

sarah707
13-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I would say 'paediatric' means the same as 'babies and children'... :D

Trouble
13-03-2008, 10:19 PM
i hate the child protection course, the first aid one was good and funny the other isnt:(

button68
13-03-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm doing mine over 2 saturdays in April, tell me what is so awful about it :(

Trouble
13-03-2008, 10:24 PM
i did mine over 4 nights miles away i was knackered:angry:

sarah707
13-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm not good with the ****** bits... wonder if it will cut that word? It's miles away and I just know I'm going to get lost... I hate losing money and uprooting 7 families... it will all have changed since last time so how are we supposed to save lives tomorrow if it's all different now... I can never remember the breaths to compressions anyway longer than taking the test... I do not like tests...

Now look, you made me remember! :panic:

Heaven Scent
13-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I used to work with a St. Johns First Aid instructor at South Cheshire College and he told me that so long as we did come breaths and compressions then it would all help and I put this to my instructor on my course last year and he agreed but said that I didn't hear it from him. Anyway if doctors and nurses won't administer 1st aid in their free time for fear of being sued I think that we having only had 12 hours of training cannot be expected to be experts and as we don't use it every day then how can the course be worth much its only there to give us a guide so we have some knowledge and if it keep on changing so its different every three years when we take it again we really don't have any hope of getting it right when we are in a panic.

Celine

crazybones
14-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I had a horrible experience on the course last year. The bloke was chucking a tennis ball at everyone, if he threw it at you you had to answer the question. I was so worried I wouldnt catch it. When he did throw it at me he asked me what would I do first if a baby had stopped breathing. I just burst into tears as this was so close to home. When I had Will I had a caesarian and when he was about 3 hours old and I was obviously numb from the boobs down, I glanced into the cot and he was arched backwards and very blue. Somehow, to this day I dont know how, I flung myself across the bed and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck screaming the place down. People came from everywhere and ran off with him but no-one stayed with me. So here I was lying in the bed, had burst some stitches and was bleeding but didnt realise because I was numb. Someone came back after what seemed like hours but probably only a few minutes and said he was ok but had choked on the mucus. Obviously I didnt take my eyes off him for a second then I was in such a state. It happend again the next morning when a lovely West Indian lady was giving me a bed bath. She looked into the cot leant over me and grabbed him and ran off with him.

If you could see the cheeky little beggar now, I know he is going to give me scares like this for the rest of his life. He is so adventurous.

Anyway, the poor instructor was so apologetic and didnt ask me to answer any questions for the rest of the course.

Pauline
29-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm doing mine over 2 saturdays in April, tell me what is so awful about it :(

Having to give up two Saturdays!! :(

We have just started ours, it is being run by the local children's centre, free to childminders, run in the day with free creche (with parents permission) great to not have to give up any of OUR time!

This is my 7th first aid course and it has to be the best, we work on the 'dolls' every session, not just once, really well run course. :)

Teresa
29-03-2008, 10:03 PM
yes mine too:clapping:

yeah mine too

Noodles
29-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I had a horrible experience on the course last year. The bloke was chucking a tennis ball at everyone, if he threw it at you you had to answer the question. I was so worried I wouldnt catch it. When he did throw it at me he asked me what would I do first if a baby had stopped breathing. I just burst into tears as this was so close to home. When I had Will I had a caesarian and when he was about 3 hours old and I was obviously numb from the boobs down, I glanced into the cot and he was arched backwards and very blue. Somehow, to this day I dont know how, I flung myself across the bed and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck screaming the place down. People came from everywhere and ran off with him but no-one stayed with me. So here I was lying in the bed, had burst some stitches and was bleeding but didnt realise because I was numb. Someone came back after what seemed like hours but probably only a few minutes and said he was ok but had choked on the mucus. Obviously I didnt take my eyes off him for a second then I was in such a state. It happend again the next morning when a lovely West Indian lady was giving me a bed bath. She looked into the cot leant over me and grabbed him and ran off with him.

If you could see the cheeky little beggar now, I know he is going to give me scares like this for the rest of his life. He is so adventurous.

Anyway, the poor instructor was so apologetic and didnt ask me to answer any questions for the rest of the course.

I still have problems with my little one now and my first aid has come in very useful.
When she hurts herself or is upset by something she cries exhales but then does not inhale again hence she goes very blue and goes unconscious. We have had to dial 999 twice for her as she has gone out and not started breathing for what we thought too long.
They tell us that she will breath spontaniously but it is horrible when she just doesnt breath.
We have now found that if we put a cold cloth on her face this helps her a little.
Its a nightmare when its your own child:(

Tily Bud
29-03-2008, 10:14 PM
First aid courses are like gold dust in my area, i rang yesterday to get on one in November and its fully booked as are the ones in september and october :eek: Ive just got to be quicker off the mark when the new course dates come out in september xx

sarah707
29-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I know what you mean Cheryl!

I booked my July one last year... or I'd have been out of date! :eek:

button68
29-03-2008, 11:07 PM
First aid courses are like gold dust in my area, i rang yesterday to get on one in November and its fully booked as are the ones in september and october :eek: Ive just got to be quicker off the mark when the new course dates come out in september xx

It's the same here but I was having a routine 'How are you doing' chat with my Development Worker and said I was OK but somewhat stressed. She said if your stressed don't take on anymore mindees, I said 'It's not the kids that are stressing me - it's the fact that I can't get on a First Aid course for love nor money and the clock is ticking on my '6 months grace' :eek:

She called me back ................. she pulled a few strings and I was squeezed onto the next one :D

Twinkles
30-03-2008, 01:12 AM
I hate the first aid course mostly because of giving up two Saturdays.

I did a 12 week red cross course when I first started childminding and have done the babies and children one every three years since.

I'm not saying I know everything and I know it's important to refresh your memory on these things. But I'd rather do a couple of hours once a year just going over the basics. After all a lot of these courses waste so much time on complete waffle.

manjay
30-03-2008, 07:30 AM
I haven't been able to get on one until June, which is 8 months after my registration. The only other ones available before that were in South Wales. Luckily I have it in writing from my inspector that this is ok as long as I definitely attend this one. Trouble is both dh and I have to attend so have to find somewhere for the children to go for 2 days. In the meantime I have done a 1 day course provided by the group I do volunteer work for. It was all about babies and children so at least it gives me some idea.

amanda xx