PDA

View Full Version : Mindees opening cupboards and fridge.

brightstar
18-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I have a rule in my house that mindees aren't allowed to go in my fridge or food cupboards. I found that once the older ones saw what was in there they would keep asking for things bought for the family e.g: chocolate mousses, biscuits etc. Some of them seem to think that as I am paid to look after them, everything is available to them. How do you all handle it. Am I being too hard on them? I have a wide range of foods and snacks for the mindees, but feel I have to draw the line somewhere, or I would be endlessly shopping. So I stick to set meal and snack times and menus as much as possible.

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm with you. They ask for food if they want it. My own children don't help themselves or root in the cupboards unless they ask and I tell them they can help themselves.

they're all allowed as much fruit as they like (within reason) but they always ask first.

PixiePetal
18-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Same for me, my own kids have never been allowed to help themselves to food from cupboards - only fruit is a 'freebie' and even then they need to ask so I know what they have had.

Mind you as teens it is becoming a losing battle - DS has hollow legs I am sure. :laughing:

Ripeberry
18-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Put a gate on the door? :D I don't allow mindees in the kitchen and they are very good. They won't even enter when the gate is open sometimes.

sarah707
18-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I am so lucky to have a pantry! All the family food is locked away in there... and the fridge has a lock.

If children ask for something in between meals, I make it an occasion... yes of course, would you like some toast or a piece of fruit?

They help make the toast (depending on age of course) or we cut the fruit into segments, everyone gets involved etc. We put it on plates, take it to the table, wash hands, sit down together etc.

Children don't ask for other stuff because they don't know it is there and they know I would say no anyway. I don't do mithering.

I would say put a lock on your food cupboard door and do not allow children in the kitchen unless they are doing a specific supervised activity! :D

solly
18-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I am with you here my children always ask if they can have something and they are 17,15 12 I also have certain food and snacks for mindees and again try and stick to the menu:)

brightstar
18-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't think I can put a lock on the fridge, its one of those american style things where the fridge and freezer are side by side. I have a lock on the food cupboard and a gate on the kitchen door. Its the older mindees I have a problem with. They are so comfortable here that they forget they're not at home - where they help themselves to everything occording to mum. I just get fed up with explaining that this is my home and that they can't just do what they want. Perhaps one day it will sink in :)

Tam's Tribe
18-02-2010, 09:52 AM
My kids and mindees must always ask but we have 3 good meals a day and dont normally snack at all. Actually, I am even training my hubby to ask :D as one day he ate what I bought for a picnic the next day (I was not impressed) :laughing:

Mouse
18-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't think I can put a lock on the fridge, its one of those american style things where the fridge and freezer are side by side. I have a lock on the food cupboard and a gate on the kitchen door. Its the older mindees I have a problem with. They are so comfortable here that they forget they're not at home - where they help themselves to everything occording to mum. I just get fed up with explaining that this is my home and that they can't just do what they want. Perhaps one day it will sink in :)

Put a note on the front of the fridge telling them to keep out! Or get them to make one. Tell them that you are fed up of asking them to stay out of your fridge & cupboards, so you want them to come up with a poster to remind them to stay out!

caz3007
18-02-2010, 10:25 AM
If my older ones come into the kitchen with their plates after tea, they always want something more for 'afters' than I offer. I always say that they have things at home too, and I have a family to feed, so sometimes we have different things. One pair of siblings are particularly bad.

Fruit is always available as extras if they are still hungry and I never say no to fruit, which they all know

estrelas
18-02-2010, 10:38 AM
:eek:
goodness
Mine have never opened the cuboards.
If they ask they general get something, mainly in the hols. term time they get a snack and then tea anyway.

I'd find it very rude if they started opening my drawers etc, you simply need to twell them i think

Chatterbox Childcare
18-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Move everything out of their sight and put in the cupboards what they are allowed and if they don't want it they will stop going there.

I have rules and no one takes anything without asking. It starts when the little ones help themselves and I say "no". They soon learn.

Sit down with them next week and explain what they can and cannot do. If they persist give the others treats and not them.

Mollymop
18-02-2010, 11:36 AM
You are not being too hard and I don't agree with moving things out of their sight why should you? Just tell them no, they can't have and they are not to root throught your cupboards for food, they have to wait for lunch or snack times.
My own children don't go through my cupboards for food without asking first so I wouldnt allow anyone else too.

singingcactus
18-02-2010, 11:43 AM

A toilet lock will work on a side by side fridge http://www.safetots.co.uk/Safety-Essentials/Bathroom-Safety/Toilet-Locks/c1_24_28/p269/-clippasafe-adhesive-toilet-lock/product_info.html?osCsid=fn56ral68mp3stn1mjgivo8nc 4 . I would not allow mindies to go into my food stocks either, it would be unhygienic for a start to have snotty tots always in and out of my fridge and cupboards (one of mine has had a cold.......for EVER). I would soon put a child right who thought everything in my home was theirs for the taking lol.

manjay
18-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I certainly would not put up with this. Even my very youngest mindees soon learn which cupboard they are allowed in and this is the one with the plates and cups they use.

Mouse
18-02-2010, 12:52 PM
You are not being too hard and I don't agree with moving things out of their sight why should you? Just tell them no, they can't have and they are not to root throught your cupboards for food, they have to wait for lunch or snack times.
My own children don't go through my cupboards for food without asking first so I wouldnt allow anyone else too.

I completely agree. I wouldn't move food out of sight, they have to learn not to go where you tell them not to.

Be firm. Just because you're being paid to have them in your home doesn't mean they can do what they want.

I think it does children good to learn from an early age that they can't always have what they want and that there are different rules for different places (ie. what might be OK at home, isn't OK at your house).

Gizmo
18-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I have locks on kitchen cupboards but not on fridge and one of my mindees is always trying to open the fridge and it drives me mad I keep telling her no but I think she is allowed to help herself at home, my own family has to ask first so im not letting others take what they fancy

jojane
18-02-2010, 02:10 PM
we got a fridge lock from ikea that you cut to length - would work on a side by side, is flexible and even though they may be able to open the door a couple of inces woulddnt be able to actually get into the fridge.

i am going to make weekly menus including snacks so that everyone knows what they are having plus means i can stick to a planned menu.

claireLouise
18-02-2010, 02:16 PM
For safety I have a child gate and the children only go in the kitchen to do baking.

Kind Regards

miffy
18-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't allow children to help themselves from the cupboards or the fridge - I'd be shocked if they did!

Thankfully it's never been an issue.

Miffy xx