PDA

View Full Version : becoming a development officer

julie w
18-02-2010, 01:01 AM
I've been childminding for over 10 years now and I love my job. However to be realistic I know I cant do it forever, and I coming to the stage where I want to do more, and to be honest, get my home back. I like the thought of becoming a development officer, where I could help other chidminders, but where do I start? Can anyone advise me? Thank you.

specks4
18-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi

I applied for the development officer in my area but didnt even get a interview, but later found out it was always going to be offered to another person but never mind.

To find out if there are any vacancies you go to the NCMA website and go to jobs and if there are any vacancies for development officers they will be advertised on there. Then you just complete the application form and write a personal statement covering the job spec and then wait to see if you get a interview.

Here is the link
http://www.*************/about_ncma/work_for_us/vacancies.aspx

Good luck

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 09:14 AM
some local authorities employ directly (i.e. don't use NCMA workers) so contact your local early years dept and ask to speak to the manager.

That's what I'd like to do in a year or so too so let me know how you get on.

Mollymop
18-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I know the Do's in our area have level 4's or more - one of them used to tutor Level 3. I am not sure but I thnk you have to have experience of these kinds of things, but might be wrong

Good luck x

jaja
18-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I applied at my local council and got an interview, i am only level 3 and didnt need level 4. I got through my first interview and needed to do a presentation which i did then i had an answer questions and when i spoke to the interviewer later the reason i didnt get the job was because i didnt know any informtaion about the first start/sure start thing( still dont know what she ment now, lol lol ) and another lady did, but my presentation was better than hers, they advised me to try for the next post and just read up on the first start/sure start thing and i would of got the job. I never did, my confidence had taken a big knock and i couldnt face it again when another job came up.

I found the job on the council website.

good luck xx

julie w
18-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I thought I would have to have a degree, (which I havent), so I will definitely look into it more. I think I'll have chat to my DO next time I see her.

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I thought I would have to have a degree, (which I havent), so I will definitely look into it more. I think I'll have chat to my DO next time I see her.

that might happen in the future with the graduate leader initiative. If there has to be a graduate in each setting they might use the D.O. route to provide that guidance to minders?

They might fund your degree for you then !