PDA

View Full Version : head bumps???

Sharon-Marie
18-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I am a parent of 3 and have experience in childcare - schools, nurseries etc but am new to childminding, anyway, my 22 month old mindee was colouring in at the dining table with me yesterday, however, as 22 month olds do, quickly decided she'd had enough and went to get up but as she did, took a mahoosive tumble and landed head first on my hard wooden flooring...well, initially, I didn't realise she had bumped her head, cos in my experience, they usually don't cos they tend to land on knees or hands...anyway, I gave her a big cuddle on my shoulder then when I turned her face towards me, realised she had a bump the size of an egg on her forehead!!! I got the ice pack straight away, asked one of my own kids to note the time and get me the accident book. Then I freaked...(inwardly of course) Obviously when you work in a school or nursery they all have their own procedures which you follow, but I just kept thinking what else do I need to do??? It was an hour before mum was due to pick up so I just hugged her and kept applying the ice pack for as long as she would let me...after about 15 mins she was beginning to come back to her normal self and the swelling subsided, albeit only very slightly...I managed to write all details down and when mum came I apologised (Should you apologise???) and asked her to sign the book, and bumbled something about did she want her to go to casualty and that I would mind her older daughter if she wanted to get her checked out. Mum was great, and agreed toddlers do this knd of thing all the time, but she did ask if I had tried to call her??? I'm not sure if that was because she thought I should have or just because she thought I might have??? Personally, I would not think it neccessary to call a parent for a head bump...or am I wrong??? It all just got me thinking...am I doing things right??? The thing is, in my rational head, I think I did alll I needed to do, but childminding is a whole different ball game, and I know that hosp would have just said keep an eye on her, observe any changes in behaviour, whatch out for signs of concussion etc but I just felt as if maybe I hadn't covered everything...Would be really grateful to hear how you guys re-act and what you do in these seemingly minor incident/accident situations please???

Desi-101
18-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Ouch it must have been sore, but little ones bump all the time. As it was an hour before home time I'm sure it was ok not to call mum straight off as by the time you had comforted her etc mum would have been there. My only question is was she sat at the dining table in the chair only? being small I would have put her in a booster seat strapped in, as a dining chair is a bit high for toddlers to fall off, or when they get bored they tend to try climb on the table which could be an even harder fall at that height. Tomorrow when you are more calm explain to mum that you didn't call her as she was due back and you didn't want to panic her.

I would have done my accident form as you did and asked mum to keep observing her when at home also offering to mind the older daughter if she felt the need for A&E etc..

I'm sure you are more in shock than what mindee was and she is ok, so don't worry too much. Big hugs xx

Cazz
18-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I've got a daughter who is exactly the same age and I think her head must be made of metal! She is forever falling and banging her head and only 2 weeks ago did the exact thing you mentioned your mindee did :rolleyes: I normally put her in a booster seat to draw etc but when her big sister is sitting at the table she insists on copying her and sitting on the big chair - needs to perfect her getting of it though!

The first couple of times she banged her head I panicked and phoned the out of hours doctor (always happens when surgery is closed :rolleyes: ) and it seems they're only really immediately concerned if the child loses consciousness, otherwise just keep an eye on them and look out for the things you mentioned.

I think you handled the situation well. I think personally I would still have phoned the mum even though she was due in an hour. Purely because it was a head injury and she would then have the option of coming earlier and taking care of the little one. That's probably me just being over-cautious though!

I'm sure your mindee will be fine and unfortunately have several more bumps - it's all part of being a toddler!

singingcactus
18-02-2010, 07:30 AM
It is helpful to give mum a head injury advice sheet. You can find plenty of info online and just write one up. An example of one is:
http://www.tenchi-ryu.co.uk/Downloads/head_injury_advice_sheet_2010.pdf

TheBTeam
18-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I dont tend to text or phone mums unless the bump/mark etc will shock them when they come to pick up. If it will shock them then i will often send a text just to say all is okay but x did so and so and has a bump etc just to let you know.

jaja
18-02-2010, 02:50 PM
depends on the bump, i had one girl, second day wiht me, pushed the swing into her face and had a nose bleed, i rang mum at work and told her, yet i have a 15month old who fell on her knees and i texted mum at work as not to distube her, i thnk i would of phoned or texted just to keep them updated, but then thats my practice, others might not, trust your instinct....

hope your lo is ok now xx

miffy
18-02-2010, 05:58 PM
It is helpful to give mum a head injury advice sheet. You can find plenty of info online and just write one up. An example of one is:
http://www.tenchi-ryu.co.uk/Downloads/head_injury_advice_sheet_2010.pdf

I usually give out a "head bump" letter too - that's a good one, thanks.

Miffy xx

Sharon-Marie
18-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all your advice, it would seem that I did all I should really, I guess I could have had her in a booster but this little girl is (usually) so mature, confident and steady, and, as in case mentioned above, she has a big sis, who she would like to copy, it would have seemed strange to strap her into a booster...still, mayb I will try that next time! Some useful lttle hints...thanks ladies!