PDA

View Full Version : please help??

hollyoaksmad
17-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Just recently registered very nervous about it all

iv put my leaflets in shops and doctors any otha ideas where? which is free?
can you put them through letter boxes?

what do i say when someone phones arr scary??

then when they come to visit do i show them round the house 1st or talk contracts what do i do please help?

then payments i need to sort tax out etc do they pay by cheque or cash or in bank?

hollyoaksmad
17-02-2010, 09:53 AM
sorri 4 all the questions

Andrea08
17-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Just recently registered very nervous about it all

iv put my leaflets in shops and doctors any otha ideas where? which is free?
can you put them through letter boxes? Yes

what do i say when someone phones arr scary??

then when they come to visit do i show them round the house 1st or talk contracts what do i do please help?

then payments i need to sort tax out etc do they pay by cheque or cash or in bank?

ok have a list of questions and your fees and info next to the phone when some1 rings answer friendly but not too ""POsh" if you know what i mean,,, let the parent talk and then answer to the point and if parent wants more info fees etc suggest a meeting...have your diary ready and book them in but REMEMBER TO TAKE THEIR TEL NO... so if late you can ring them or if you have to cancel etc

time for the visit ,,,try and stay how you are what they see is what they will get... show your certificcates and experiances,, talk about the service you will offer and times etc listen and think about what they need and watch the child...if you dont think they will FIT IN with your famil tell them to go away and think about it and you will ring on..... if you dont want to take them on rem you dont have to just say that you have had another enquirey and think the times will suit you better..

any more questions have a good look round the forum or just ask thats why we are ere good luck hun xxxxx

Mouse
17-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I have had a lot of enquiries through Netmums. It's free to place an ad & you can also look to see if anyone's posted that they're looking for a childminder.
I've also had a fair bit of interest through childcare.co.uk, though you may have to pay to contact the people who look at your advert.

If you have a local childminding group, get yourself known there as well. A lot of work comes through word of mouth, so you need to let them know who you are.

And find out if you have a local vacancy co-ordinator. They should keep a list of cm's with vacancies so they can pass on the details to parents. Obviously you need to be on their list if you want them to pass on your name.

When parents first phone, they usually ask if you've got vacancies & how much you charge. Keep a pen & pad by the phone so you can jot down what they want to know & the answers you give them. I always ask how they got my number (it's useful to know whether it's through an advert, recommended by someone else etc) and I always take their contact details.
I ask what hours they're looking for, age of the child, have they used childcare before etc and I tell them a bit about myself & how I work. You find some parents know exactly what they're looking for, whereas some are very vague & haven't really got much of an idea. Ones like that prefer you to take the lead & tell them how it works.

If they're interested and I have the space, I invite them round for an initial visit. This is usually an evening or my day off as I don't have them round when I have other mindees here. I have toys set out for the child (so it's imortant you know what age the child is). I introduce myself, then play with the child while parents look through my portfolio. I'll then offer them a drink & go to make one while they carry on reading or looking at photos. It also gives them a few minutes alone to have a chat among themselves (hopefully saying good things!) I then ask if they have any questions & tell them about myself, what our day's like etc. I talk about payment, hours, conditions etc. I mention contracts, paperwork etc, but don't go into detail at this time.
I show them round the house after that, but only the rooms used for childminding & the garden.

You just tend to go with the flow and each visit is different. I try to get an email address from them & send an email the next day confirming what we've talked about and including anything I forgot to tell them.

I does get easier & don't forget, these parents are often as nervous as you are!

hollyoaksmad
17-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank u both for taking the time to help and it has helped me alot thank u :)

angiemog
17-02-2010, 11:56 AM
As has already been said each visit is different. When someone calls they usually want to know if you have a vacancy, then they want to make an appointment. I have never really been asked anything else. Just the very basics. First visits are always made when I don't have any other children here. I show them around briefly and point to my certificates on the wall. I engage with child.... this depends on age here what I do. I ask the parents first if they have any qu or if they are happy for me to chat. I tell them about myself, how long I've been childminding, other childrens ages I look after, types of activities we do during the day. While I'm saying this I interact with the child whether it is bouncing a baby on my knee, doing a puzzle, craft........Once I start chatting they usually jump in with their comments and flows very easily. I very briefly go into my policies but not too much. I just say the types of policies that childminders do. I also introduce them very briefly to EYFS and say that we follow the same as nurseries.
On a second visit I then go in to policies and other paperwork. As each form is signed I tell them about it in more detail. All my parents have always called within a week. I have had 6 visits and all 6 children I now look after.
One thing that surprised me with one of my first visits is how nervous the parents were. The mum emailed me later that day and said they were so nervous. I knew I was but didn't think that they would be. Anyway what I was getting to was to take a phone number if they don't get back to you at least you can call and find out so then you are not left waiting. This hasn't been a problem for me but I know it has been for some. Hope this is helpful.
x

Ripeberry
17-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Once you have interviewed your first parents then the rest is easy. I registered in Jan 09 and did not get my first interviews until June 09 and I had two in one day :eek:
I found that if they really wanted you, then they would come back for a second meeting to do the contracts and look at policies.
I was a bit naive the first time as I gave both famillies a booklet of my policies with a letter asking them to return it if they went somewhere else as it cost a lot to put together.
And the one family that did not need me because they needed a CM nearer their home and not the workplace, returned my booklet, even though it was 3 months later.
Just find out as much info as you can on the phone or e-mail you get and make sure you get a phone number, ask them the age of the child, what times and days they need and then arrange the first meeting.
If you have children of your own and you think they won't play up too much, then make sure they are there with you, especially if the prospective mindee will be with them during the day.
Show them round the house, you don't have to show every room, just where the mindee will sleep, where the loo is, what is on offer in the garden, just talk about your daily routine and how often you will use the car (one set of parents did not want me to drive on the day I would have had their baby!)
Then ask them if they have any questions, give them a question list if their minds go blank ;) And then give them a couple of weeks to think about it and follow up....Good luck :thumbsup: