PDA

View Full Version : Turning new parents away

singlewiththree
17-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Don't you hate it when you have to say no to new parents. I had an enquiry for a 7mth old girl full time and the money would have been great but I've decided to only work term time for my sanity and my children but oh how tempting as I already have an 11mth girl so by the time the baby started she would have been 1 and it would have been lovely for them to play together. Oh well.

Tily Bud
17-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I know I hate turning people away too x

I find it strange how I have enquiries when Im full but yet when I have spaces I dont seem to get enquiries lol x

That would be lovely to work term-time only, I wish :rolleyes: xx

Roseolivia
17-02-2010, 09:01 AM
It is a shame when you have to turn parents away but you have to think of your family first. I keep Monday and Tuesdays free, apart from before/after schoolies (until Rose starts nursery Sept) to do things with Rose and have had to turn a few parents away. I enjoy this though as we go swimming and go out with her aunt and cousin.

patevans
17-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I have turned so many full time enquiries away and have been told today that I am losing a full timer - whats the betting I get no calls now :rolleyes:

michellethegooner
17-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I too hate turning parents away, I am currently full tues-fri but have no 1 interested in mon apart from b4 & after schoolers although I must say I like having the long wkend :blush:

Don't get as many enquiries when I have spaces though :rolleyes: always the way

The Juggler
17-02-2010, 09:47 AM
as long as you can, do it hon. Time with your kids is precious. I've just had a nightmare vacancy to fill (Mon, Wed Fri). At the mo I work 2 days/week in the holidays as most of my children are term-time only and I have 3 whole days with my kids. Unfortunately the new baby in my Mon, Wed Fri slot needs all year round care so I'm back to working 4 days/week in the hols. It's not what I want but I feel for me to find someone Mon, Wed and Fri AND term-time only would be impossible and actually she is completely adorable.

I'm trying to persuade new baby's parents not to bring little one on Mondays in the hols so they have a payment free day. fingers crossed.

Daftbat
17-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Its always been the hardest part of the job in my opinion. sometimes i dread the phone ringing! To try and soften the blow i try to have to hand an alternative minders number who i think may have vacancies - better to end on a positive note.

Andrea08
17-02-2010, 10:08 AM
could you not do an arrangement with another cm who has space just for the holidays and share the contract between you..so that way you get your term time only and the other cm fills her place for the holidays??? it would have suited me lol

Alibali
17-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Good for you for doing it, i'd probably have said yes even if I didn't want to do it:blush:

Desi-101
17-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Wish you could send them my way!:)

angeldelight
18-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Glad to hear you are busy

Angel xx