PDA

View Full Version : Parents viewing learning journals

16-02-2010, 07:13 PM
How often do you encourage parents to look at their children's learning journals and how do you go about it? Do you have a type of parents evening like a school for example???

Shar
16-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I send mine home for the weekend every 2 weeks for the parents to make comments on their child's learning and development.:thumbsup:

miss mopple
16-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a meeting every 3 months with parents where they go through it with me and then take it away for the weekend to look at in more detail and add comments

sarah707
16-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a meeting with parents every 6 months and try to get them to comment... they don't always manage the meetings though :(

I ask for verbal comments which I write in as well :D

Daisy1956
16-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I try to send it home every three months or whenever parents want to see it. went home this weekend hope it comes back after the hols.

Chimps Childminding
16-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I usually send mine home every 2/3 months (depending on how much I have put in it :blush:) I let them have it for a week or so, so that grandparents, aunties and uncles etc get chance to have a look if they wish.
I have also told parents they are welcome to borrow it at any time say if they have relatives visiting.

I have put a sheet in the front asking for comments, some parents bother, some don't :( .

sophiestars
16-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I send mine home at the end of every term, so 3 times a year. There is a sheet in there for them to sign and make comments about next steps etc and another sheet for them to add their own photos, comments about what their child does at home etc.
I know in an ideal world we should meet with them but to be honest a couple of mine have 3 and 4 children respectively and are very busy, rushing off to pick up the others straight after me and sometimes it's all I can do to briefly tell them things they need to know at pick up time let alone a longer chat. A couple of the others do usually stay for a longer chat at pick up which is enough i think. Compared to what most nurseries put in their learning journals I put about 30 times as much in mine so there is enough info in there for them to see and they know they can talk to me if they had any concerns etc or just wanted to chat about what's in there. And if they don't want to chat, they can put their comments on the forms inside.

Mollymop
17-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I send them home at the end of each school term

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 06:37 PM
i couldnt possibly send mine home with them they would NEVER come back again. I TRY :rolleyes: to arrange a meeting with the parents to view it have only managed to do it with one parent though as the other is always running late or in a big rush. Neither are really interested when i do show them !!

singingcactus
25-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I periodically shove the photo book into their hands and say - look at this now!! Then if they are at least being polite they say oh how lovely and make various comments - or if they are rude and offensive they say wow you are soo lazy, there is nothing in it for this month (even though this month is still happening so pics are not developed).
The one with just writing and obs/planning in I offer to let them read but none are ever interested cos it is meaningless to them.
To be fair, every parent I have ever had has loved the photo books I always do, except that one who is a princess and now G O N E!!!!

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 07:23 PM
perhaps mine are too boring lol :laughing:

mama2three
25-02-2010, 07:34 PM
mine are out in the hall at collection time so if they wanted to they could look at any time. not that they do - one parent gets nagged by her older child to see what hes put in his scrapbook , so she feels she has to look at his siblings file as well! i did let one parent take it for the weekend to show her parents , and got some lovely comments from the grandma too.

huggableshelly
25-02-2010, 07:54 PM
1 family takes it home every school half term and return it on the next booked in day which might be a monday or a wk later.

1 parent sits in my home looking through it and offers verbal feedback which is documented

1 parent has no time to meet, look through or offer any verbal feedback other than informing me that she is late for the pub or she cant pay me till next wk blah blah

Trust your instincts, if you send it home be 100% sure that you will get it all back, if unsure then book a time for parents to sit and look through in your home.

monkey62
09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I will send home every other month, or even often if requested by parents.
I will have a more official meeting with parents at 6 months. Some parents never attend a meeting but at least I have tried.....

CHUNKY MONKEY
03-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I agree, know your parents. If you don't get it back you know Ofsted will turn up as they do with there good timing!!! :rolleyes: CM

SandCastles
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I scan each childs learning journal each month (just the pages that I had added this month or didn't scan last month) and send it home with parents with a learning journal questionaire. So far none of them have been late returning them, but just incase I have a scanned backup on my p.c as I would be heartbroken if it got lost.

v 1461
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I give them the learning journal every 3 or 4 months . I am lucky as they always write some comments and give me lovely feedback.
v

Toothfairy
11-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I send mine home at the end of every school term.
I send with it a parents questionaire for them to fill in about what they thought of the folder and their comments.