PDA

View Full Version : Reining in the 4 yr olds

Helen Dempster
16-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Hello. Do any of you use child restraints for children that are soon to be 4 years? My own ds in particular is a nightmare for running off on the pavement. I don't mind him walking independently, as long as it's a close enough distance to me, but time and again, I lecture him or walk along clutching his hand really tightly while he shouts and screams for me to let go while all the other adults in close proximity seem to be tut tutting (I think this is just paranoia on my side LOL) but you know what I mean.... I think he's a bit old for reins/restraints, but was just wondering what you all do? I saw another mum walking along with a closed umbrella that her children were holding on to, and they were walking really nicely behind her.

Any suggestions?

SimplyLucy
16-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I use a wrist strap on a child who will be 4 in April.

She has been in full time nursery since the age of 6 months and doesn't have a clue on the dangers of roads or strangers! :panic:

AliceK
16-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi
I think personally that you know your child best and if you don't feel he's safe without some kind of restraining then that's what you should do and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Rather that than he run out into the road. I've seen those backpack things with reins on them,maybe he would like one of those? My DD although only two and a half is so bad she has no choice but to have a wrist strap on and yet I see other children her age walking really nicely (makes me feel really bad) but I'd rather she was safe and I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. Safety First :)

xxxxxx

mushpea
16-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I only use a restraint if i have too, when i feel they are old enough and trust them enough to know they will stop at the side of the road or stop at certain points to wait for me then i dont bother with restraints.
If they dont wait or run off after i ask them to stop then i make them hold the buggy and if this dosent work then i will put a wrist strap on them and i do this with the older ones too.
most of mine from about 3yrs onwards are trusted to walk, you get to know the ones who will run off, they all have to walk either beside me or in front of me so i can see them, otherwise while i turn to look at the ones behind the ones in front play up and it cuts down on the,'he pushed me' thing cause i can see whats happening.

sillysausage
16-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I always have a set of reins in the pushchair, just in case the older 3 and 4 yr olds (in nursery) decide to ignore me or refuse to walk at the side of the pushchair. Usually I only have to threaten with the reins, but occasionally I use them. When my 6 yr old mindee decided to start playing up on the school runs I dug out the wrist strap. He had a mega strop but I only had to use it once!
Most of my mindees have been very good at walking next to the pushchair and holding hands etc. I do drill them all the time on the green cross code. Even if I've just got one child in a pushchair I'm always talking about how to cross safely etc.

jaytravis
16-02-2010, 04:17 PM
for my own kids they wanted to walk on their own but i was worried they would run off /near the road
so i spoke to them and they could run /walk ahead to the next lamp post stop and wait for me then they could go to the next one makes them feel like u trust them and gives them a bit of responabilty(sp) try it on a quiet road first

The Juggler
16-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I have my 4 y olds holding the buggy when walkign near the roads. I would carry the wrist strap as a deterrent as others have said. Tell him first time he runs off/doesn't listen it's wrist strap or your hand the rest of the way. Hopefully, he'll get the picture pretty quickly

Daddy Day Care
16-02-2010, 06:51 PM
It all depends on the child, you know the child and will know if the child needs them.

My daughter wlaked with restriants at age 2, she was so good, my son is 3 in july and I wouldnt dream of letting him walk without a restraint, and to be hoenst cant see that changing any time soon.

Gareth
xx