PDA

View Full Version : Quick advice needed PLEASE

Adiamond
16-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I have a little boy just started with me at 11am this morning (19 months) he has really bad seperation anxiety and as I have had him on my knee I have noticed he is riddled with headlice real life crawlers!!! OMG what shall I do???
Please anyone??????

Chatterbox Childcare
16-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Call the parents and ask to collect

katickles
16-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Yep - call mum or dad :)

Blaze
16-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Do you have a head lice policy...mine excludes - you need to follow whatever yours says...if you don't then I'm afraid you need to create one & give a copy to parents on collection - If you pm me your email address I'll send you mine if that helps...apart from that you'll just have to take measures to prevent them spreading today or ask parents to collect & treat. Do you have any other mindees today? You can cite infection control measures if you have! You will also need to let other parents know there has been a case of headlice in your setting & to check their own LO's. (Be careful not to break confidentiality though - no names) HTH:)

Andrea08
16-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Do you have a head lice policy...mine excludes - you need to follow whatever yours says...if you don't then I'm afraid you need to create one & give a copy to parents on collection - If you pm me your email address I'll send you mine if that helps...apart from that you'll just have to take measures to prevent them spreading today or ask parents to collect & treat. Do you have any other mindees today? You can cite infection control measures if you have! You will also need to let other parents know there has been a case of headlice in your setting & to check their own LO's. (Be careful not to break confidentiality though - no names) HTH:)

Blaze has said it all just what i was going to say...if you dont have a policy make one and also a letter to all parents that it has been noticed in the setting.. please read and take action ...

good luck hun

WibbleWobble
16-02-2010, 12:44 PM
oh heck...i have started itching just reading this..:panic:

aly
16-02-2010, 12:46 PM
oh heck...i have started itching just reading this..:panic:

Tell me about it...eeek

Blaze
16-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Me too!:rolleyes: :laughing:

Andrea08
16-02-2010, 12:48 PM
:blush: and me

Adiamond
16-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Thank you everyone I am going to get him collected... I can't believe I am having to do this on his 1st day :(
I have 1 other mindee here plus my own 2.
And yes I am itching too!!!!!
Oh heck!!!! x x x

Maguiresmonkeys
16-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Im itching too!
Fancy the parents not noticing the crawlers :rolleyes:

LisaMcNally09
16-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Did they pick up ok??

I would be so embarrassed if that would have happened to me on my childs first day at a new childminders.

Adiamond
16-02-2010, 01:56 PM
He is still here :angry: due to be picked up at 2pm I reckon she waiting for normal pick up time grrrrrrr x x x

Blaze
16-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Hope LO's been collected now!

It's a small world
16-02-2010, 02:52 PM
my worst nightmare..can cope with anything but that :eek: surely parent would have noticed this morning or you'd think. To be honest I have't got a policy for this..Guess what Im doing tonight.!!!!!

Whats the exclusion policy everyone has for this situation ???

Adiamond
16-02-2010, 03:01 PM
He was picked up at 2.00pm (normal collection time) :eek:
She never said a word and certainly wasn't embarrassed!!!! nothing !!!!!! maybe she sees it as being normal to have crawlers???
To be honest I am not 100% sure about working with this family, we will see how it goes!! I will probably be asking you all what you would do later :blush:
I don't know some people!!!
x x x

The Juggler
16-02-2010, 06:52 PM
He was picked up at 2.00pm (normal collection time) :eek:
She never said a word and certainly wasn't embarrassed!!!! nothing !!!!!! maybe she sees it as being normal to have crawlers???
To be honest I am not 100% sure about working with this family, we will see how it goes!! I will probably be asking you all what you would do later :blush:
I don't know some people!!!
x x x

that's terrible! well just make sure she knows if it's not treated that you'll be sending him home again, if he comes with them. Also, the emergency pick up/contact they provide has to be able to come within 2 hours or so is my understanding.

Hats
16-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Poor you... and the poor LO... they must have been really annoying for him!! Maybe you should get the the t tree shampoo and conditioner out for you and your own children just in case!!

Hope the parents did listen and have gone straight home to treat LO!!

Lady Haha
16-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Do you all exclude for headlice?? If I did that I'd never have any kids here! They get them all the bloomin time at school!

I follow the school's example. If a mindee has headlice, I tell the parent at collection and ask for it to be treated. I also tell other parents collecting that there has been a case of head lice so it might be wise to treat their child.

I comb my son's hair through with conditioner two or three times a week to check and more often than not there will be one little pest in there! Luckily, they don't seem to like my hair!

I must admit, I would be really annoyed if the school rang me to collect every time they spotted one on my son! The school would be empty too if they did that!

Hopefully this mum will take it seriously and treat her child, but if not, then I would be annoyed!

Tina O
16-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I have been advised to treat headlice as I would any other infectious illness and have headlice mentioned in the illness policy. The parents come and collect!! ;)

Lady Haha
16-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I have been advised to treat headlice as I would any other infectious illness and have headlice mentioned in the illness policy. The parents come and collect!! ;)

Why don't schools do this then? They follow the 48 hour rule on D & V, but just send home letters for headlice at the end of the day!

Tina O
16-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Why don't schools do this then? They follow the 48 hour rule on D & V, but just send home letters for headlice at the end of the day!

I would never send my kids to school with lice, it's horrible....... glad I have boys with 'short' hair....! I don't know why school don't do thhis but then I'm not a school.... ?

Adiamond
19-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Good morning everyone, my mindee with headlice is due to arrive at mine again at 12pm today, I haven't heard anything from mum since she left on Tuesday!!!!
Guess what I will be checking for as soon as he gets here???? and if his visitors are still there he will be sent STRAIGHT home!!!
I will let u all know :)
And I am itching writing this :rolleyes: x x x