PDA

View Full Version : Strange Phone Call

Zoomie
15-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Enquiries seem to be like buses at the moment.

I had a phone call this afternoon from a man, with shall I guess, an eastern European accent, saying he had a 10m daughter and looking for care for certain days from April.

I explained that I didn't have vacancies for those days and said the days I did have, but he said he still wanted to come and see me. I asked when and he said today or tomorrow.

Anyhows, I asked for his name and he gave me a surname that just didn't gel with his accent and when I asked for his tel number, he said he didn't know what it was. He asked me for me house number, as somehow he knew my street name and I bascially said I wouldn't give my house number unless he gave me his full name and telephone number. He then said something about having emailed me and his details were on there, so I said I would check my email later and call him from there.

Well no emailsand I am so glad I didn't give out my full address (I spoke to local FIS and they confirmed they gave me details to a similar sounding name and it includes my street name, though not the no - apparently they have informed me of this, but are going to resend it to me so that I can review the situation).

But what really worries me is that if this had been a woman phoning, I might not have been as much on my guard.

What other advice do you think I or other childminders should take when taking potential enquiries ????

Fabby
15-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Blimin ek, scarey, good post, i will be interested to see what people reply here seen as i am yet to start minding x

Lainey Lou
15-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi there, sorry no advice but I'm interested to see what others say, but you defo did the right thing not giving out your house number. Its abit scary really isn't it as you don't know who you are dealing with at times, it might have been totally innocent and probably was but you really can't be too careful these days. Sorry no help whatsoever, but understand totally as would feel exactly the same xx

jojane
15-02-2010, 10:09 PM
i havnt started yet but i would not give details such as my address, details of my routine (ie when not at home etc), details of any kids i have, until i knew more about the caller.

jelly15
15-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Good job you were on the ball, how scarey.

tashaleee
15-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I would definitely want a name and contact number before I gave out my address to arrange a meeting. I also like to do initial meetings with the least amount of minded children, particularly if I think there 'may' be 'communication' issues....

I definitely think you handled the situation in the right way and I would have done the same :thumbsup:

The Juggler
16-02-2010, 07:31 AM
might be he is staying in temp housing or a hostel (perhaps a refugee?) but has work???

I would def. be wanting payment up front though.:(

Tatjana
16-02-2010, 08:50 AM
It's possible he only has a mobile phone and doesn't know the no. off by heart, lots of people don't. I so rarely give out my home number that sometimes i forget that too!:blush:

xx

green puppy
16-02-2010, 02:26 PM
A couple of cms I know have had odd calls from a male wanting to know how many children, ages, times etc..... I never give out this information anyway and even first meetings are done when I have no mindees present.