PDA

View Full Version : Nappy changes, where in your home?

Ben10mad
15-02-2010, 03:51 PM
As above really...........
I have always changed the children on a wiper-able changing mat in my living room i have wooden flooring so i can easily wipe over with detol.
Any way i would love to hear some other comments as i had a new cm come over the other day being nosey as they do lol and she said "you shouldn't change children in the living room, you should use the back part your kitchen''
omg

It's a small world
15-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I to use the lounge and turn my back on other children in the room to put a little bit of privacy between child being changed and the others playing. this way i am in the room with everyone, changing mat is at floor level so if i did need to move quickly to help another child it is safe to do so as the child being changed can not falll anywhere

do it where you and the child feel safe

like you wipeable mat in the living room...dont have the space in the kitchen so wouldnt be very hygenic ...

sorry I didnt go into detail but I do the same as above

huggableshelly
15-02-2010, 03:59 PM
in the ideal world I would use my downstairs bathroom but its too small to do it safely

I to use the lounge and turn my back on other children in the room to put a little bit of privacy between child being changed and the others playing. this way i am in the room with everyone, changing mat is at floor level so if i did need to move quickly to help another child it is safe to do so as the child being changed can not falll anywhere

do it where you and the child feel safe

Mcgons
15-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I use wipeable mat in downstairs loo - just enough room for mat, I'm through the doorway.

I think the lounge is better than in the kitchen, and think it states in the food hygiene pack not to nappy change near food prep areas.

Mouse
15-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I change nappies on the dining table in the room where we're playing :eek: ...not as bad as it sounds!!

I have a washable plastic cloth that goes down first, then the changing mat. On the table I have all the nappies, baby wipes, cloths, antibac wipes, hand gel, nappy sacks etc set out.

I set it up in the morning, pack it away at night & give the table a good clean (though nothing could actually get onto the table.) It's basically a changing station!

The little ones don't use that table in the day as they have their own child sized tables. I used to change nappies on the mat on the floor, but as I tend to look after mainly babies, I was changing lots of nappies during the day & had horrible back ache. Changing them at the table means I'm not bending as much.
And it means I have everything set out for nappy changing, out of the way of little ones, so can do nappy changes quickly & easily.

sillysausage
15-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I use wipeable mat in downstairs loo - just enough room for mat, I'm through the doorway.

oooh, I do this too. All my nappy changing things are in individual stackable boxes (small ones) on a shelf in my downstairs bathroom. Each child in nappies has their own wipe clean travel change mat (poundland).
I definitely agree that changing nappies in a kitchen should be a no no. Before we had our downstairs loo put in I used to change nappies in the corner of the lounge in a space between the sofa and the wall. It gave a degree of privacy for the child and stopped other mindees getting in the way (trying to clamber over etc)

little chickee
15-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I live in a bungalow and always change nappies in the bathroom.

sarah707
15-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I change children on a big wipe-able mat using the sofa as my base...

Everything is collected first and brought over to the sofa and spread around me so I never have to leave the child unattended.

The sofa has a waterproof cover in case of wee accidents.

I was finding that my back hurt when I bent over and my knees hurt when I knelt down :rolleyes:

I think I am getting old :o :D

caz3007
15-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I am the same as Sarah, I change my mindies on a changing mat on the sofa. I dont do floors as struggle to get up (poor knees and back).

If I have the after schoolies, I take the changing mat and bits into my own lounge, to give them all privacy....giggles, sounds like I change the after schoolies nappies :) :) :)

ajs
15-02-2010, 04:45 PM
since the dr told me to stop kneeling i use the top of the trofast unit as a changing station.
i wouldn't use my kitchen, i have tiled floor and it's freezing on the floor in there

Winnie
15-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I change them on a changing mat just outside my downstairs loo which is off the playroom, i can maintain privacy as its around the corner- if you know what i mean :p When i've finished i can put the nappy in the nappy bin in the loo, everything else is packed away in there too, the changer hangs on the back of the door, then i wash my hands.
I kneel, bit of a struggle to get up sometimes :D but i manage. I'm interested to know how you manage on the sofa because it would kill my back to twist round :(

sweets
15-02-2010, 05:08 PM
i change them on the kitchen sink so its easy to wash my hands afterwards!;) ;) ;)

Ripeberry
15-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I change my mindee in the hallway (big square) on a wipeable mat. Sometimes he is very wriggly, so I might change him in the living room where he can see the TV and that keeps him still long enough to do up the nippas (he uses real nappies).
They are a pain and the mum did say she was going to use disposables, but has not happened yet :rolleyes:

jelly15
15-02-2010, 05:21 PM
i change them on the kitchen sink so its easy to wash my hands afterwards!;) ;) ;)

:laughing: :laughing:

Downstairs bathroom is next to playroom and I use changing mat on the floor. I have baskets for each child in airing cupbaord so everything to hand.

caz3007
15-02-2010, 05:38 PM

:) :) :) :) Amongst all the clean dishes that are airdrying

Twinkles
15-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a utility room that has a large worktop. I change them in there as it's next to the loo. I can't do floor cos of me poor old back :panic: Each child in nappies has their own mat ( travel ones ) and their bags are kept out there for ease.

Daftbat
15-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I use a changing mat on the lounge floor. I too struggle with my knees and back at times but couldn't manage on the sofa. A friend of mine manages it on her knee as she has back problems but i am not that talented:laughing:

miss mopple
15-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I use the floor or the sofa too.

For those suffering back problems my physio advised that the sofa was the best place :thumbsup:

He almost had a fit when I told him what I do for a living as in his eyes from a professional point of view this job is the work of the devil :laughing: Between the buggies, the car seats, lifting kids etc etc he wasnt remotely surprised I suffer :blush:

Oh, that and using the laptop too much is also bad for us :laughing:

helenlc
15-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I change them in the hallway and they are screened by the stairs - private for them but I can also hear the others and see them if they are playing just inside the front room.

Generally, they all line up at the front room door to have a nose - so I can see them all anyway!!!:laughing:

singingcactus
15-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I change them wherever they want to be changed, in the lounge or in the hallway. I pop a mat under them and get on. I have a very small house so am always near the bathroom sink for hand-washing and nappy disposal.
I would not change them in the back, front or middle of my kitchen though...although thinking about it this is probably just a wind up post anyway since no one would change a nappy in a kitchen!

PixiePetal
15-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I have my DDs old changing station in the playroom. It's a chest of drawers with edges round 3 sides of the top where mat fits perfectly :thumbsup:

I use the drawers to store all the nappies etc.

Then wash my hands in kitchen sink :eek: after putting nappy outside back door to go in dustbin when I can get it there

sandy64
15-02-2010, 07:22 PM
i change lo on a mat on my knee:( and older ones on settee on a mat. i wouldnt ever think of kitchen:eek:

ORKSIE
15-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I change children on a big wipe-able mat using the sofa as my base...

I was finding that my back hurt when I bent over and my knees hurt when I knelt down :rolleyes:

I think I am getting old :o :D

Can I join your club Sarah?
My poor knees and back cant cope anymore either:laughing:

sweets
15-02-2010, 07:51 PM

ive a horrible feeling that people think i am serious:laughing: :laughing:

i really do them on a mat on the floor in the corner of the lounge:laughing:

TheBTeam
15-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I do them on a mat in the living room or conservatory, whereever the most privacy can be had from the action going on.

sonia ann
15-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I change them on a changing mat on the lounge floor......I have to sit as I can't kneel anymore and getting up off the floor is a sight to be seen:laughing: ...or maybe not:blush: . The really little ones I change on my lap........just as I was taught at college.....35yrs ago:eek:

mum2two
15-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I too do it in the lounge, as we have underfloor heating, so warmer for the lo's and I can see the rest of them playing in the playroom.

xx

The Juggler
15-02-2010, 09:31 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: yes you could use the dishcloth to wipe their bums too!!!!

sweets
15-02-2010, 09:35 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: yes you could use the dishcloth to wipe their bums too!!!!

of course, no point wasting wet wipes! i ALWAYS give it a quick rinse though before i use it to wash the pots :blush:

:D

dlissaman
15-02-2010, 09:51 PM
On occasions when there have been older children present or an adult guest, i have used the other end of my very large lounge diner to give the child privacy (changing mat on the floor).

However I mainly use the sofa (with a changing mat) and am so happy to hear that others also use this practice.

Heaven Scent
15-02-2010, 10:02 PM
of course, no point wasting wet wipes! i ALWAYS give it a quick rinse though before i use it to wash the pots :blush:

:D

Why bother - thats a waste of water -
Having said that I do mine on floor of cloak room next to DS loo can hear all others from there just need to crane my neck round the doorway to see them.

Blackhorse
16-02-2010, 08:25 AM
haha I know this has nothing to do with the thread but reminded me

the dad of an ex boyfriend would put all his dishes into the bath tub....then have a shower (which was in the bathtub iyswim) and wash the dishes at the same time!! :eek: :laughing:

I have a mat where I change the childrens nappies on. I usually have it on the floor...sometimes on the sofa...

Chatterbox Childcare
16-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I change mine whereever I am with a nappy mat on the ground first.

Does it matter as long as it is hygenic and you don't leave anyone in danger.

Carol M
16-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I used some of my grant to buy a fab unit for changing, like the ones u get in shops or restaurants that fold down. Dh fixed it to wall in my downstairs loo, so have nappy bin and wash basin right by.
Before I got this I made a changing station out of a B&Q potting bench and put it in hall by downstairs loo!
Carol:)

ORKSIE
16-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Owwww Now youve gone and spoilt it PMSL:laughing: :laughing:

Daisy1956
16-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I change my grandson on my knee but was told that ofsted didn't approve so I change mindees in the downstairs loo on a changing mat but it kills my knees.

upadaisy
17-02-2010, 12:12 AM
hi there,
i get all i need for change then i sit down and put child on my knee, this way you have more control if its a messy one: eek: bag all up put in nappy bin wash hands etc job done :clapping:

singingcactus
17-02-2010, 07:30 AM

:laughing: I don't think anyone on this forum is silly enough to imagine you or anyone else changes nappies in the kitchen.
Fingers crossed my nappy changing days are over (for a few months) apart from one child who's mummy thinks it would traumatise princess to suggest at 3 she really can use the toilet or potty - but I only have her a few more times.

janminder
17-02-2010, 08:31 AM
on living room floor on a wipe clean changing mat, find it easier than sofa or knees

michellethegooner
17-02-2010, 09:46 AM
our bathroom downstairs on a changing mat, have all supplies in there leave door open as bathroom is next to living area so can hear & c other children