PDA

View Full Version : Holidays - a silly question maybe?

Vezz
13-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi. I didn't even know this forum existed, so I'm very excited!

Does anyone have a template for a holiday form? All my minded children have different holidays this Easter, and I've booked a holiday to coincide with my son's break, so need to tell 2 parents I'll be away.

As an aside, how do you take your holidays? I generally don't mind during school holidays, as I only do school pick-ups/drop-offs, but I still get paid as I feel the parents can still bring their children to me if they want, plus if they're claiming CTC they'll still be paid....is that right?

Many thanks in advance.

sarah707
13-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello and welcome!

Don't forget to pop into say hello... and introduce yourself.

I take unpaid holiday and I inform parents in my newsletter.

I'll move this to the fees section where you might get more replies :D

angeldelight
14-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Hello and welcome

I also take unpaid holidays

Parents pay when they are on holiday

Not a silly question though at all

Angel xx

Vezz
14-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Thank you both for your replies.

So, even though I'm taking my holiday during my son's school holiday I shouldn't be paid?

What do you charge during school holidays?

KIMWY
14-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I take between 4 and 5 weeks holiday a year, dates to suit me, some term time and some school holiday time.

I charge half fee for my holidays and half fee for the parents if their holidays are different to mine. Oh and full fee for bank holidays.

I always try to give parents as much notice as possible of my holidays.

I've been minding for 12 years and its worked well for me.

Kim

Spangles
14-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I take 4 weeks holiday and don't charge for it.

I tell them when my holiday is and pop a typed up reminder in with their invoice and I will remind them again nearer to the time. I gave them 6 weeks notice this time but have put it in my contract that I will give them at least 4 weeks notice at all times of my intention to have a holiday.

miffy
14-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't charge for my holidays but I do for parents holidays

I also have in contracts that I expect to ave two weeks paid holiday a year this stops parents taking all their holidays at the same time as me and not having to pay

Miffy xx

allinatiz
14-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi. I do the same as Lorri. I give at least 4 weeks notice and tell them verbally and also put it on the end of my invoice (I think I got that idea from someone else on here who said they did that?) as soon as I know my holiday dates.

HilaryT
15-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi

I take around 3 weeks holiday a year and I don't charge when I am away. I usually give about 6 months notice. Many of my parents go away when I do, as it's easier for them.

My parents are allowed to take 2 weeks in a calendar year at half fees, thereafter they pay full fees for the rest of the year, regardless of whether they come in the holidays are not.

Everyone has a different policy, so just think about what you want, what other childminders do in your area and stick to that.

Hilary

deeb66
15-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi

I do not charge for my holidays butparents pay full fee for theirs.

As Hilary says it is up to you.

wendywu
15-03-2008, 04:18 PM
The only thing you have to remember is if a minder charges for their holiday and the parents want to use other child care to cover the dates because they still have to work, they will end up having to pay twice.:(

Also we are self employed and i dont know any other self employed professions who get paid holidays. I use the rule of thumb that if i am available for work then i get paid.

I think it depends on the area of the country you live in. Reading between the lines on this forum down south and near London we charge a much higher rate and have a lot more work to pick and choose from. If you are in a area where competition for mindees is greater, then charging for your holiday might be the deciding factor between you and another minder:panic:

Vezz
15-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I have put into my contracts that I'm to take 2 weeks (paid) holiday per year. However, what has confused me is if I take my holidays during school holidays.

For example, I was away at Christmas for a week (26 Dec to 2 Jan), but no parents wanted me those weeks anyway, and I was paid as normal.

This time I'm away for 2 weeks, with the bulk of my parents sharing the same holiday, and not requiring me to mind as they've made other arrangements. Should I still claim it as holiday? With the other two parents I've completed holiday forms as there'll be an overlap, but am I being fair?

Much easier when I was in the workplace!!

miffy
15-03-2008, 08:20 PM
If you have said in the contracts that you will have two weeks paid holiday a year (did you say calendar year) then you could use these two weeks as your paid leave

If you then have time off in the summer you should take it as unpaid leave

Miffy xx

Vezz
17-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, I decided to speak to my parents individually, and let them know I'm taking my Easter holiday as my leave.

Another quandary...what to do during the summer holidays? I'll be available for work, but I've already got one parent saying she might enrol her child in a holiday playscheme!:panic:

I've thought about terminating the contracts as of 31 July until the new school year, or charging a half-fee retainer if I'm not used....what do you do?

ruby
17-03-2008, 10:01 PM
if we are contracted for the school holidays and the child does not come then we charge 1/2 fee

cathy