PDA

View Full Version : Shrove Tuesday

pinklady
14-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Do you all make pancakes for Shrove Tuesday? Allergies/cultures permitting obviously.

My children aren't really into pancakes and my mindees are only 16months so I'm thinking I might not even bother. Only one of my mindees stays for tea and it will be rushed for the other one after tea.

Maybe I should try them for lunch? What are you all doing?

sarah707
14-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Some of the mindees have never tried them which I think is really sad.

We have them quite often with fruit rolled inside them for after tea.

On Pancake Day we have them with ice cream as a special treat :D

PixiePetal
14-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I sometime make them with older mindees. Got much younger ones now and one is allergic to eggs and dairy so it's a no go anyway.

My teens will want them though :rolleyes:

I cut out felt 'pancakes' last year for the toy food box. :thumbsup:

patevans
14-02-2010, 03:03 PM
We will be having pancakes well the children will because I dont like them :( we did role play pacake making last year, was great fun watching the children toss the pancakes :laughing:

Cammie Doodle
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes we will be having them . Inc Scottish ones, my kids love them :D

Hebs
14-02-2010, 03:57 PM
my kids love scotch pancakes :thumbsup:

nannysue
14-02-2010, 03:58 PM
As its half term i'll have more older ones as well so will let them make their own batter and choose some different fillings , tuna is nice for savoury ones ,

Being really good with my dieting this year , i'm not so sure i will be having any myself :( didn't realise just how bad they were !!!!!!!!! ......... bad but sooooooo yummy , so maybe just 1 teeny tiny one !

kindredspirits
14-02-2010, 04:16 PM
mmmmm yes i will be making pancakes at lunch time :thumbsup:

greanan
14-02-2010, 05:11 PM
my oldest mindee is 3, so will atempt to make them this year. not sure how we will get on but going to give it a go

It's a small world
14-02-2010, 05:16 PM
my dh usually makes them but he's away Tuesday so Im making them :eek: . I have no mindees Tuesday so just me and my ds's ,might do them with ice cream and fruit mmmmmmmm we are also making chocolate truffles Tuesday too so a busy day baking and spending quality time with my boys which I havent had for awhile.:clapping:

TheBTeam
14-02-2010, 05:22 PM
We are going to have them but we have too many mindees and some very young to be making them from scratch so I have bought some ready made and some scotch ones, and got real lemons and strawberry and chocolate sources for them to use, and for when they have gone I have my black cherry and cream ones!

Pudding Girl
14-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I had mine today - homemade American fluffy pancakes with homemade chocolate pouring sauce and chopped bananas. Have saved some of it all for tomorrow's mindees and will make proper flat ones for Tuesdays mindees.

LOVE the idea of making play pancakes for them to flip - the £shop have wee frying pans in which would be ideal for this and a flat sponge wipe would be good for a pancake - what a shame I've no time to go to the shops till Wednesday though!

Chimps Childminding
14-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes we will be having them . Inc Scottish ones, my kids love them :D

So do mine!!!!!! I am hoping you send some round, save me having the mess my kitchen :laughing:

Better still .......................... send my kids (big and little) round to you, have all the mess in your house :clapping: :clapping: :D

dlissaman
14-02-2010, 05:32 PM
We have them for breakfast and then for dessert after our evening meal. My boys are now adults but still expect me to carry on with the family tradition. Our pancakes are eaten with the juices from freshly squeezed lemons and oranges.

The mindies that arrive first thing join us to have one, regardless of whether or not they have just had breakfast at home.

Yum Yum my mouth is watering.

Alibali
14-02-2010, 05:59 PM
We make them most weeks, so easy and everyone loves them - nothing too unhealthy either (unless you include the chocolate spread or maple syrup my own kids like:) )

My favourite topping? chocolate spread and banana - yum:D

Cammie Doodle
14-02-2010, 06:04 PM
So do mine!!!!!! I am hoping you send some round, save me having the mess my kitchen :laughing:

Better still .......................... send my kids (big and little) round to you, have all the mess in your house :clapping: :clapping: :D

Ok No prob as long as I don't need to keep them :D

avril
14-02-2010, 06:37 PM
We did pancakes last tuesday as my mindees are term time only.
They are only 2yrs so I bought the mix in the bottle that you just add milk to they enjoyed shaking the bottle up and down then jumping up and down with it too!!
We had fruit in them and even tried fresh lemon and sugar on them, the lemon caused some really funny faces :laughing:

We even tried a pancake race with a paper circle on the floor that they waft along with rolled up paper, great fun and lots of laughing!

loocyloo
14-02-2010, 08:35 PM
saw a super pancake recipe today ... make the pancake, and whilst still hot roll a flake inside it !!! then eat !!! won't be making them for mindees like that, but i might just have to try it !!!

we'll have pancakes for breakfast, lunch & tea on tuesday !!! ;)

xx

amanda1309
14-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not working on tuesday so I think i will make them on wednesday instead when i'm back at work.
We all love them, DD gets them every sunday morning when she stays at nannas. Don't know if she stays to see nanna or get pancakes for breakfast.:laughing:

Tam's Tribe
15-02-2010, 06:56 AM
We love Pancake Day . . . we are armed with loads of fillings (all sweet :eek: but we also have fruit fillings) but we are having it for breakfast . . . the kids love it and get all sticky . . . but I cheated this year and got Aunty Bessies ready made ones (delicious) as I can make them quick enough for the hungry mouths!!

ENJOY!!!! :D

mushpea
15-02-2010, 07:04 AM
my kids love em but are at their grand parents till thursday and i have no mindees tuesday so might not bother , we are doing lots of other cooking and chinese new year on the other days so will probably give the pancakes a miss.

estrelas
15-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I am possibly the worlds worsed pancake maker :laughing: :laughing:
So i probably wont be doing it with the children :laughing:

LittleAcorns
15-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I cant wait, I'll ahve 7 kiddies here tomorrow (including my 2) Ive bought ready made ones and we'll just cover them in fruit and syrup and scoff mmmmm

christine e
15-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Normally have them but only have 1 child tomorrow and he is leaving early to go to his grandma's for tea to have pancakes so don't think I will be bothering.

Cx

PS We had them on Saturday when DS came over