PDA

View Full Version : I D cards ( again ) !!!

Twinkles
14-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I am redoing my childrens ID cards to include ; a photo , initial and surname of child , D.O.B, Gp's name, address and phone number. On the back I have a small permission slip to seek medical help/advice in an emergency.

So after much discussion and consultation with parents we have decided this is the best format we can come up with............one exception *sigh* there's one parent ( there's always one isn't there ? ) who doesn't want her daughters D.O.B on the card despite my assurances I will be vigilant in keeping the cards out of reach of anyone who shouldn't have them.
She says it's a data protection issue http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif......is it ??

I'm doubting the safety of the format now but could the emergency services access the childs records without their D.O.B ??

Fabby
14-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I would of thought they would be able to yeah. I am not sure where u could find the correct answer to for this unless you know someone in the emergancy services you could ask ;)

sarah707
14-02-2010, 02:46 PM
You need Dob for 2 main reasons -

1. If you have 2 children with the same or similar names... as I have

2. So that emergency services can work out who is who if you cannot speak for the children.

If you have photos on the cards, no 2 is ok, but no 1 might still be an issue, now or in the future.

All you can really do is put ... Dob - withheld by parent or something similar.

Hth :D

Mcgons
14-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry posted 2x by mistake!

Mcgons
14-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Do we need these cards? I've just received the ones from NCMA which just say that the children with me may or may not be my own and leave space for an emergency contact who will have all the details. I don't carry round ID for my own kids so if anything was to happen the emergency services wouldn't have this info for them. Also would they actually look for parent permission before treating a child in an emergency? Just wondering what I'm actually supposed to have.

patevans
14-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Do we need these cards? I've just received the ones from NCMA which just say that the children with me may or may not be my own and leave space for an emergency contact who will have all the details. I don't carry round ID for my own kids so if anything was to happen the emergency services wouldn't have this info for them. Also would they actually look for parent permission before treating a child in an emergency? Just wondering what I'm actually supposed to have.

I dont have this on mine as I was told if they needed emergency treatment then the emegency services would give it anyway but I am not sure :huh:

sarah707
14-02-2010, 03:12 PM

You do not need child record cards...

What you do need is stated in the Eyfs -

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings, for example, contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing, first aid kit, a mobile phone.

It is also a requirement to take emergency information and permission with you on outings...

A lot of childminders use cards to evidence this requirement :D

huggableshelly
14-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I carry mine without photographs as cant take pics of one of my mindees.
If you were in an accident of any form the D cards would be useful to attending adults so they can:

contact parents
see if any child may have an allergy
gain instant access to medical records
consult imediate Dr if needed

The signature acts as your consent to seek medical help but in a serious emergancy the hospital will make the decissions but still need agreement from a consenting adult. you have the parents signature to make the decission with the hospital if unable to get hold of a parent.

No its not absolutly essential, you can carry your form around with you that is in the front of your accident book containing signatures and names but its up to you.

NCMA had premade cards to buy for ease and i presume other insurance companies will have similar.

patevans
14-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Also would they actually look for parent permission before treating a child in an emergency?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=fluffyemma22;640219]I dont have this on mine as I was told if they needed emergency treatment then the emegency services would give it anyway but I am not sure :huh:

So do I need to carry this permission form with me?

huggableshelly
14-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Also would they actually look for parent permission before treating a child in an emergency?

So do I need to carry this permission form with me?

yes you do need to carry it to meet the requirements

Blaze
14-02-2010, 03:44 PM
If the parent still point blank refuses DOB - how about just putting the age - might be a good compromise:thumbsup:

patevans
14-02-2010, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=fluffyemma22;640225]

yes you do need to carry it to meet the requirements

Twinkles
14-02-2010, 03:48 PM
If the parent still point blank refuses DOB - how about just putting the age - might be a good compromise:thumbsup:

:clapping: Blinkin' genius :thumbsup:

Blaze
14-02-2010, 03:49 PM
:clapping: Blinkin' genius :thumbsup:

LOL :blush:

Mcgons
14-02-2010, 04:18 PM
You do not need child record cards...

What you do need is stated in the Eyfs -

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings, for example, contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing, first aid kit, a mobile phone.

It is also a requirement to take emergency information and permission with you on outings...
A lot of childminders use cards to evidence this requirement :D

I can't see anything in the requirements that says I have to take permission for emergency treatment on outings, just that I have to have it when the child starts and also permission to go on outings. I have parent contact numbers, mobile phone & first aid kit. Have I missed something?

dlissaman
14-02-2010, 05:23 PM
What a can of worms

I currently carry emergency contact details of my 'back-up', my husband, childminder colleague and one other, the contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing a first aid kit and a mobile phone.

However once my pogo arrives i will make i.d. cards and detail the childrens information on the back.

Every little bit of information, informs, as and when is required.

sarah707
14-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't see anything in the requirements that says I have to take permission for emergency treatment on outings, just that I have to have it when the child starts and also permission to go on outings. I have parent contact numbers, mobile phone & first aid kit. Have I missed something?

The statutory requirements for outings state -

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings.

The statutory requirements for records which must be kept about children (in documentation) state -

Providers must record the following information for each child in their care:
■■ full name;
■■ date of birth;
■■ the name and address of every parent and carer who is known to the provider;
■■ which of these parents or carers the child normally lives with;
■■ emergency contact details of the parents and carers.

Therefore by my reckoning these details are considered essential and must be taken on outings...

Twinks this answers your problem as well... I hadn't thought before... sorry!! :o

Reading it this way, you do not have a choice but to have DOB with you on outings! :D

sarak31
14-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I love this site! - this is a great idea, I'd never thought of making these cards and always just held emergency contact details on my phone. I didn't realise these rules under EYFS!! So thanks everyone!!

sandy64
14-02-2010, 07:11 PM
has anyone got a blank id card you could share with me please :) thanks sarah for making it clear to us all again. i do always carry id when out but its on paper so the id cards sound much better do we need one for us?

Twinkles
14-02-2010, 07:17 PM
has anyone got a blank id card you could share with me please :) thanks sarah for making it clear to us all again. i do always carry id when out but its on paper so the id cards sound much better do we need one for us?

pm me your email address and I'll send mine. I have one for myself and the outside card just says I.C.E.

sandy64
14-02-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks twinkle ive sent it to you:)

Cazz
14-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I currently have on each of mine a photo, d.o.b., emergency contact details and a photocopy of the medical section on the ncma contract stapled to the back which gives signed permission from the parent for medical treatment and also the doctor's name and address, plus any allergies etc.

My dw suggested I re-do them as I have several contact numbers for each child and have listed what each one is. I.E. Mum mobile - xxxxxx, Mum work - xxxxx etc. She said that I shouldn't put what each number is as it is a confidentiality issue!

I currently don't have a name on there - just the date of birth. At first she wasn't sure about the d.o.b. but I pointed out that surely it's better if they know the exact age of a child immediately to get the dosage right of any medication they may need. She then agreed and said that also the child's medical notes could be obtained from the d.o.b. so it was a good idea :rolleyes:

I still can't decide whether to put the child's name on though. My 4 year old mindee is terribly shy and probably wouldn't speak to anyone so on the one hand it may calm her a bit if the medical staff could use her name BUT on the other hand it has crossed my mind that in the event of an accident where I couldn't talk, there is the slight risk of abduction as a stranger could see what the child was called and convince them that mummy and daddy told them to come and collect them. I know I'm probably taking things to extremes and you would hope only kind people would geniunely help but in this day and age you can't be too careful.

babydayz
14-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I used to work in a hospital and you could search for patients on the database using their name and gp so they should be able to find them on there, they can also look up the names of parents that are linked to the children :)

Twinkles
14-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I currently have on each of mine a photo, d.o.b., emergency contact details and a photocopy of the medical section on the ncma contract stapled to the back which gives signed permission from the parent for medical treatment and also the doctor's name and address, plus any allergies etc.

My dw suggested I re-do them as I have several contact numbers for each child and have listed what each one is. I.E. Mum mobile - xxxxxx, Mum work - xxxxx etc. She said that I shouldn't put what each number is as it is a confidentiality issue!

I currently don't have a name on there - just the date of birth. At first she wasn't sure about the d.o.b. but I pointed out that surely it's better if they know the exact age of a child immediately to get the dosage right of any medication they may need. She then agreed and said that also the child's medical notes could be obtained from the d.o.b. so it was a good idea :rolleyes:

I still can't decide whether to put the child's name on though. My 4 year old mindee is terribly shy and probably wouldn't speak to anyone so on the one hand it may calm her a bit if the medical staff could use her name BUT on the other hand it has crossed my mind that in the event of an accident where I couldn't talk, there is the slight risk of abduction as a stranger could see what the child was called and convince them that mummy and daddy told them to come and collect them. I know I'm probably taking things to extremes and you would hope only kind people would geniunely help but in this day and age you can't be too careful.

I know this is the bit where I have been going round in circles with for ages. It's hard to know what to do for the best :panic:

Trouble
14-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I think if medical staff knew the names and ages they could look at the age to see if this was the child or say the name for a response:D

nokidshere
15-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I have a card in my purse with the childrens first names, the parents first name and contact number. If I am injured all they have to do is call the parent, and if the child is injured then I can speak for them giving them the information they might need.

But then I don't have children who can't/won't speak.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
15-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I do ID cards and my ofsted inspector wasn't even bothered that I had them didn't even mention it.

xx

Minstrel
15-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a card in my purse with the childrens first names, the parents first name and contact number. If I am injured all they have to do is call the parent, and if the child is injured then I can speak for them giving them the information they might need.

But then I don't have children who can't/won't speak.

And what if you are all injured / unconscious?