PDA

View Full Version : Childminding at someone else's house

IamJen
13-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Does anyone do this? I'm newly registered, and planned to seek some mindees before the summer, but there's a possibility that I could get my one of my nanny charges' house registered and mind children there. It's huge, and located fairly centrally in Oxford, so there are all sorts of advantages, but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing something simillar.

aly
13-02-2010, 07:24 PM
wouldnt you need to check with ofsted etc? as your registration stated your home address?

venus89
13-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Isn't it nannying if it's in somebody elses house.......?

IamJen
14-02-2010, 12:00 AM
wouldnt you need to check with ofsted etc? as your registration stated your home address?
Yep. That's why I said "but there's a possibility that I could get my one of my nanny charges' house registered and mind children there".

I am a nanny now, but there are three families for whom I take care of children. If I have them all at the house at the same time, I have to register as a childminder it seems. (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/About-us/How-we-inspect/Home-childcarers/(language)/eng-GB) The girls all get along great and I could have them there at the same time with no trouble for me, but I'd have to register their house! :)

jojane
14-02-2010, 12:52 AM
i remember watching a programme where a woman got registered at her parents house. only thing is how would you gaurantee house is always safe, visiotrs to the house etcetc. would probably work fine in real life but may not look good 'on paper' which is what you need to get registered. everyone that lives in the house would need to be crb checked etc etc

Blackhorse
14-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I would be worried that if owner of the house where I would mind from should change their mind then I am left with nowhere to work....
you probably also couldnt claim a lot of expenses like wear and tear, gas and electricity etc as it is not your house/expense.
the home owner might also have to change their home insurance depending if the current insurer would let them run a cm business from there.
not sure how that would work with liability insurance.

would the home owner be ok with requested alterations to their home in case ofsted needed something (like a new fence to make garden secure etc)

in all cases I would discuss with ofsted!
good luck

IamJen
15-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah. The Mom had suggested it before I began registering my own home, that I could register their house, but it does seem a bit complicated. I think the parents would both have CRB checks already, but there is a teenaged sister, and not sure if their housekeeper (who is wonderful, and has her own kids and loves the girls terribly) would need one too. I don't think there would be too many changes to the house, but some would be annoying for them, I suspect (like locking up medicine, or not being able to leave a knife on the counter, etc.

Yeah...I don't know. :D

Nadine Beazley
15-02-2010, 03:36 PM
me and two other childminders looked into pooling together in one house. You can't claim council tax etc if it's not your home and you would need insurance at the address that your minding at. I don't think you can use someone else's house if they are not a registered childminder, that is still nannying. Could one of the parents whose house it is get registered in their own right? This may make it more do-able.