PDA

View Full Version : Please, please, please cut your blind cords!!!!!!!!

janiefear
13-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi there

Not a happy post for a Saturday morning but a vital one, may I refer you to the following website

www.harrisonslaw.co.uk (sorry links are beyond me)

This has happened 3 times in the last 5 years in our relatively small town and could so easily be prevented. I had shortened all my blind cords, I like to think that as a Childminder I'm very aware of safety in the home, this little boy climbed onto the window sill and managed - somehow, to become entangled in a shortened blind cord - I've cut the loops on all of my cords now!

Please spread the word, there is a petition and a facebook page aimed and making every parent and carer aware of this danger.

Thanks for your help

Jane

Hebs
13-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Theyve been saying this for years x

janiefear
13-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I know they have,but it's still happening, 2 children have died this week in our County - I don't think we'll ever get them banned but if parents and carers are aware then maybe, just maybe, we can prevent these awful accidents.

Love Jane

Hebs
13-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Poor kid x

jumpinjen
13-02-2010, 11:53 AM
strangulation is my pet phobia.... I can't stand toy nets in children's rooms, you know the hammock style ones for holding cudly toys??

I'm so antsy about it, I contact companies and tell them about the dangers when I see them advertising them for sale as a good storage solution for children's rooms.... i read a case a couple of years ago about a four year old girls who died in a few minutes in her room getting tangled in one of them.

It's so easy to forget things like this too!

jenni:(

sandy64
13-02-2010, 01:00 PM
how tragic my heart goes out to the family. and yes somethink does need to be done asap

mum2two
13-02-2010, 01:48 PM
It's awful. :( I have the one for my roman blind all tied up, behind the blind, so kids can't see it to touch it, (or untie it) and for my venitian blind, I have the cord the window side of the blind - again, the kids can't get to it.

xx

Hats
13-02-2010, 01:53 PM
It is just such a horrible thought!! LO near to where I live was looking out at the snow and same happened to him!

Dont think it hurts for us all to be reminded of the dangers.

Blaze
13-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I bought these for my blinds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cord-Chain-Tidy-Child-safety-blinds-window_W0QQitemZ260552091248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Baby_Baby_Safety_ET?hash=item3caa1d6670

...you put the cord in it & then screw it to the wall (no slack) ...that way the blind is still operable but no risk of hanging.:thumbsup:

Carpet Monkeys
13-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I've always had a pet hate of cords on blinds, so I've opted for the sliding blinds from Ikea!

Jelly Baby
13-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh not nice no. We have them on our blinds but the kids cant get to them, the one on our back door is always tied up above it because of the kids but also becasue our cats would have a field day jumping up at it all the time and chewing it!

youarewhatyoueat
13-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm quite surprised that this can happen, when I first registered nearly 3 years ago we were told to buy hooks and attach them high up and wrap the cords around them, this was even demonstrated in the room we were in, when ofsted did the first visit she also checked that they would be out of the way and children were unable to climb up onto window sills to access them. I thought at the time they were being over cautious, how glad I did as I was asked.

coxeypea
11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Morning all can anyone suggest a safety product for the cord from my wooden blinds.Something practical that does not involve drilling holes into walls & doesn't look like an eye sore:)

Tazmin68
11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I bought my secure cord plastic protectors from eBay. Instead of drilling I used double sided pads. They have been fine for the last 4 years.

MessybutHappy
11-03-2013, 02:01 PM
A friend drops hers into an old net bag used in washing machines to dispense the powder and then puts this on top of the blind...