PDA

View Full Version : car seat expiry update !!!

nikim
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
i contacted britax and with regards to their seats they say as long as the seat has not been damaged in any way and meets ECE R44-04 regulations then it is safe to use :clapping: , on the downside Maxi-cosi uk say that they consider their own seats unsafe after 5 years from purchase date :( ,

TheBTeam
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Does this apply to RCE44.03 too, cos these I think are the seats that are starting to get older!

nikim
12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
yes sorry thats what i meant Rce44-03 ,

Alibali
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeay! Mine are britax:D Really can't afford any more.

miffy
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
on the downside Maxi-cosi uk say that they consider their own seats unsafe after 5 years from purchase date :( ,

Did they say why?

Miffy xx

sweets
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Did they say why?

Miffy xx

they are probably just saying so that people dont pass them on and so have to buy more which means more profit for the company:angry:

nikim
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
because the plastic shell begins to detriorate and they cant guarantee that it wont break up in a crash, i think though they are probably just covering ther backs although i dont think we will be covered in an accident if the seat is deemed out of date iyswim, im sticking to britax from now on although i do have a maxi-cosi rodi which is 6yrs old was supposed to last from 3-12 yrs i did think that was abit of a con have emailed to ask them why they make seats like this if we can only use them for 5yrs:angry:

Pudding Girl
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Purely a money making exercise imho, the companies would go bust if nobody bought any new seats! As I said previously (on here maybe? can't recall now) if it takes a 100 and more years for a simple plastic bag to decompose, then think about that....

margaret
13-02-2010, 11:16 AM
i think the cost of car seats is ridiculous ,but if thats what we have to pay to keep kids safe we havent much choice.Car seats are taken in and out of cars n stored in garage ,loft etc,dropped when you take them out,kids will then try and play in them ,how do you know theres not a flaw in them when you put back in car,you cant put a price on a kids life ,in my opinion new car seats,buggies ,cots (big items) should be replaced 5 yearly in your wear & tear policy ,far more important than loads of toys that kids dont always play with and in our business we should be thinking about safety of kids ,putting money away on regular basis to cover costs of these items.I personally think ofsted should look at our buggies ,car seats etc when they ofsted us.

The Juggler
13-02-2010, 11:19 AM
they are probably just saying so that people dont pass them on and so have to buy more which means more profit for the company:angry:

my thoughts exactly!:cool: