PDA

View Full Version : Question on numbers

tomthumb
13-03-2008, 01:37 PM
hurray I am now officially a childminder!!! It has all happened so quickly and now I keep on having demands which is great. I started minding on tuesday and she is just adorable and soooo good! Anyway back to my question. I am registered to care for 4 children, of these no more than 2 can be under 5 and none under one.
A mum wants me to mind her 2 boys of 4 yo and 20 months on thursdays and fridays. The 4 yo goes to nursery school and will be going to reception class in September. As off october 1st I will also have a one year old. Will the 4yo count as 5 and over as he will be in full time education? But I will have him during school holidays so will he then be considered as a 4yo??? Do I make`sense??:eek:
Also wanted to say thank you to everyone on the forum for being so brilliant and helpful. I feel less of a fraud now that I am minding and will hopefully be able to contribute more!!:)

Elodie

crazybones
13-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I asked this of my inspector yesterday and she said if a 4 year old is in 10 early years settings per week - ie am and pm reception classes then they are classed as 5. I said what about holidays - she said they are still classed as 5. Hope this helps.

Annie x

littlestar
13-03-2008, 01:40 PM
sorry elodie im confused and dont understand just wanted to say congrats on completing and becoming a childminder sorry i cant help further.

Kelly
13-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Elodie

Congratulations and well done for getting up and going do quickly :thumbsup: As Annie said providing the LO is in 10 sessions a week, you can class him as a 5 year old. The problem with reception children is they sometimes get staggered starts, and they do not actually start full time until after Xmas, so you would need to wait until he actually started full time to class him as a 5 year old.

Good Luck

Kelly

sarah707
13-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I asked this of my inspector yesterday and she said if a 4 year old is in 10 early years settings per week - ie am and pm reception classes then they are classed as 5. I said what about holidays - she said they are still classed as 5. Hope this helps.

Annie x

This is my understanding of the ages...

I would suggest you speak to Ofsted if you are still unsure - 08456 404040 :D

tomthumb
13-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, well I did speak to ofsted and I have to write to them!!! This is getting a bit complicated for a simple question...
I believe if I call them tomorrow and speak to someone else, they will give me a different advice....argghh. I liked Ofsted up till now....:(

Rubybubbles
13-03-2008, 07:36 PM
yes he'll count as a rising 5

I had to write to ofsted for this back in 2006, to which when I chased up the letter, they said well if you read your standard you'll see that a 4 yr old in 10 + sessions is a rising 5:censored: was my responce!!

miffy
13-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with the others if he is in school 10 sessions a week (that's every morning and afternoon) he will be counted in your 5 to 8 year olds both term time and in holidays

Miffy xx

deeb66
13-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Your question has already been answered

I just wanted to say congratulations on becoming registered and I am glad that you are enjoying it.

miss muffit
13-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi I have a little girl who started school last september 2007 she isnt 5 till this june 2008 and she is counted in my over 5's does that help you, :) :) :)

Lou
13-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Elodie,

Congrats on becoming registered!!!!!:clapping: :clapping:

Havent forgotton it is our turn to write!!!! will get on to it soon i promise xxx

emler
13-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Congratulations on becoming registered Elodie :clapping:

Emler x

tomthumb
13-03-2008, 08:45 PM
hi all thank you very much for your answers. This is good news!!
I have been registered for a while but did not start advertising or spreading the word before January so I am very fortunate that this is all happening so quickly. I now have a one year old doing three days, a little girl starting in October full time who will be one as well and maybe the 2 boys (4yo and 20 months) doing 2 days from end of April!! This is madness as I already have my 6 year old and my baby!!!! :panic:
Well I will be needing you more than ever!!!!
Elodie

michellethegooner
13-03-2008, 09:05 PM
yes they are classed as being over 5 as I had this b4 and Ofsted said they are treated as over 5

Good luck

Michelle

childminder54
14-03-2008, 03:35 PM
good look with childminding know all the hard work begins..

veronicaxxx