PDA

View Full Version : Head up to the Tax section!

Lady Haha
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry, I know this is in the wrong place, but I didn't want anyone to miss it!

There is a thread about school runs and claiming mileage if your own child is in the car and after months of not putting the mileage through, I have now found out that you can. Have a look at the thread for more info.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's the link

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51537

Lady Haha
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Here's the link

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51537

Thanks Debbie, you wizardry wiz you!

nikim
12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
i always have done , you can also include entrance fees/and other costs(food etc) to parks etc for yourself and your own children (when taking mindees) i was told this by a tax inspector

Lady Haha
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
i always have done , you can also include entrance fees/and other costs(food etc) to parks etc for yourself and your own children (when taking mindees) i was told this by a tax inspector

Now you've started a debate!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I knew we could claim for entrance and food etc for ourselves, but I was told we couldn't claim for our own children! Have to admit, I do anyway most of the time, if I have a receipt saying five kids entry, it doesn't say anywhere on it that one of those kids is mine:blush:

oops, now this thread really is in the wrong place! Feel free to move it!!

nikim
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
the tax inspector pointed out to me what would i be doing with my own children whilst out because i cant leave them at home on their own, same as i cant buy food/drinks for mindees and not my own , therfore it is completley justifiable :clapping:

The Juggler
12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
thanks hon:clapping:

helenlc
13-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks - I can put the last 3 months with my after schooler through for mileage!!!:thumbsup: :clapping:

I knew we could claim for OUR entrance fee to soft play and food and drink, but someone said we couldnt claim for our own children. My children and 12 and 9 - bit old for soft play and the farm now, but we go and take mindees. My argument for claiming for my children is that we wouldnt have gone there otherwise. We might have stayed at home and slobbed out or gone to visit friends or family ie things with no cost.

They are too young to leave on their own (odd 5 mins I do but not 2-3 hours I would be at soft play) so they HAVE to come along when I take mindees somewhere. So surely thats the same as being able to claim for MYSELF as I HAVE to be there to get mindees in??

This debate was with some fellow childminders and not anyone from the tax office, but I would be curious to know how it stands with claiming for my children. My rule of thumb for claiming expenses, and this WAS told to me on a tax course is :

If you are buying/paying for something for childminding, and wouldnt otherwise buy/pay it, then claim it.

Well taking my own 2 children to soft play/the farm etc isnt something we would do, except to take mindees along.

Sorry I got carried away:blush: Thanks for the link Debs:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-02-2010, 02:35 PM

My IR inspector said yes to me but no to my own