PDA

View Full Version : Car air bag question

Amaranth
11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi,

One of my mindees sits in the front of his mum's car in a high back booster. He is nearly 3. She has a passenger airbag that can be turned off (and is off at the moment) but was asking me if I knew if an airbag could be left switched on for a forward facing child?

Personally, I think if I had to sit a child of that age in the front I would leave it turned off but wondered what everyone else thought?

sarak31
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd do the same - always turn it off. I'm not sure if this is right but I was told that it wasn't about suffocation risk but the danger actually is in the force the airbag comes out and the risk to the children that they get broken bones and other such damage being so little at that age.

babs
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Child Passengers

•Always ensure that your child is in an appropriate child restraint that is suitable for the car and seat on which it is being used, and that it is securely fitted. Make sure the child is securely held by the child seat harness or seat belt.
•Make sure that children travel in the rear of the car, if possible - it is safer.
•Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.
•Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat.
•If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.
•If there are other types of airbag in the car, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far they come out as they deploy and whether it is safe to use a child seat near the airbag...

u can read the rest here: http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/airbags.htm

Amaranth
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd do the same - always turn it off. I'm not sure if this is right but I was told that it wasn't about suffocation risk but the danger actually is in the force the airbag comes out and the risk to the children that they get broken bones and other such damage being so little at that age.

Yes, I would be worried about that too. I would also be worried about the explosives used in the detonation of the airbag as they cause burns.

That's a great list of points Babs. I think I might print that off to give to her. The points were what I thought and what I would do personally but it is better to have it in writing to give to her. She will know it is not just my opinion then :thumbsup:

I've only just started to let my dd sit in the front and she is eight and a half.

aly
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
don't forget to check with insurers too as turning off could invalidate the insurance.