PDA

View Full Version : Refuse Bins

Mum2be
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know if we qualify for a larger refuse bin when childminding, or do we have to approach the council and pay for a larger bin? I only thought about it yesterday when I'd filled my own bin up, that I may need a larger one with all the nappies and extra rubbish I may produce from being at home all day?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me??

Thanks

Mollymop
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I would like to know the answer to this too - my bins are overflowing since I started CMing.
I bet we will have to pay extra though:rolleyes:

twinkle3005
11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I rang my local council and got a larger bin delivered the same week. Just explain you're a childminder and how many children are on your books and they should send you one as you;re a business.

miffy
11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I rang my local council and got a larger bin delivered the same week. Just explain you're a childminder and how many children are on your books and they should send you one as you;re a business.

I'd be worried they were going to charge me extra.

Miffy xx

Amaranth
11-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I would be really careful about telling them you are a business as they may turn round and tell you that they will no longer collect your rubbish and that you have to have business waste collections. You have to pay for these and they cost a fortune! I know that is what my local council do. Also don't tell them it is because of nappies because if they are anything like my council they will say it is hazardous waste and will not collect that either! :rolleyes:

My friend (who was also childminding at the time) just rang them and said she had a big family and that her bin was always full before the collection day. They sent her a large wheelie bin within a few days. :thumbsup:

cabby
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM

same here, i got one free:clapping:

i rang the council, they sent me a form to fill in about how much recycling i do and which recycling centre i used, and a load of other questions, before i had a chance to fill it in, they rang to say it was being delivered the next day!

sarah707
11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Be careful!

My council tried to charge me extra for collection and business rates in return for a bigger bin! :panic:

I decided to keep my little one and go to the tip more often :D

ORKSIE
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Be careful!

My council tried to charge me extra for collection and business rates in return for a bigger bin! :panic:

I decided to keep my little one and go to the tip more often :D

I have heard of this too Sarah, I was gonna ask council for a larger bin, someone warned me they may charge me to collect it:(

tashaleee
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
We needed new bins as ours had split - tried to get a bigger one but the council wouldnt allow us one. Again Im not wishing to tell them because its the amount of nappies etc as Im sure they would be wanting to charge me a lot or even refuse to collect as im a business :panic:

Ripeberry
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I have an log and coal burner so I do qualify for a larger bin, but my husband likes to squeeze as much as he can into the black bin anyway and says we don't needa bigger bin.
And anyway, my mindee in nappies uses cloth ones anyway :)
We also have our own food waste disposal units....chickens! Great for clearing up peelings and pasta. Anything else goes in the compost bin and meat is given to the cat and the bones are the only things that go in the bin.
Best way to cut down on waste is to get things with the least packaging in the first place.:thumbsup:

Bananabrain
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I asked when I first started childminding.
The answer was a big fat 'NO'

cabby
11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
ive had mine about 2 years, im on my 2nd one now because my first one split:clapping:

beccas
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
i have 2 bins anyway cos i have 5 members in my family but when i asked about a bin cos i am a childminder they said just cos your a childminder doesnt mean you should have extra waste:eek: nappies, etc....... i think she was been a bit off with me, but she said i could have a business bin and pay higher rates i said no thankyou.

PixiePetal
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
We don't have bins :blush:

Have our own to keep rubbish in then put it out in black bags by the side of the road on bin day

TheBTeam
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Same here our council said you can apply for a bigger bin but they may choose to view you as a business and charge you for it, it was up to me to decide if i wanted to take the risk, so I decided not to.

Chimps Childminding
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
we could have a larger one if there were 6 or more people living in the house, or if you had a child in nappies - yes on both counts, just didn't tell them that it wasn't my children in nappies :laughing:

sillysausage
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I've got a normal sized wheelie bin and only fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 full each week despite having two mindees in nappies.
We do have a seperate bin for paper recycling which has an insert for glass and cans. We also recycle cardboard and plastic bottles at the tip (our council won't accept any other plastics so yoghurt pots, food trays etc all have to go in the normal bin).
I'm always surprised at how little waste we produce.:littleangel:

singlewiththree
11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
We don't have bins :blush:

Have our own to keep rubbish in then put it out in black bags by the side of the road on bin day

Same here and they have to be in clear bags not black so they can check we are recycling :angry: I'm lucky in my neighbours didn't want their recycle bins so I have two for card/paper and two for glass/plastic :clapping:

nikim
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I have an log and coal burner so I do qualify for a larger bin, :

why is that we have a coal/log burner and havent heard of this, i would be interested to know the answer my council will charge me for an extra bin as im a childminder

LOOPYLISA
11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Im not a cm but we needed a bigger bin, there is only 3 of us :clapping:

Oh and one went walkies and they replaced that one too :clapping:

wendywu
11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I got one but i had to buy it, i just put it through my accounts. Its all a load of rubbish really :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I got one but i had to buy it, i just put it through my accounts. Its all a load of rubbish really :laughing: :laughing:

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Heaven Scent
12-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Oh the size of my rubbish bin isn't a problem and we have fortnightly collections, its the silly bags they have given us for recycling - at the moment I'm using 3 and that is still not enough. Everything we recycle except glass goes into them (we have a small box with a lid for that. We recycle cardboard, drinks cartons and cups, plastics including food packaging, paper tins (steel and aluminium) all bottle lids. the only food packaging I don't put out is the stuff that we reheat ready meals in (I don't often have much of those - It was on the list of don't in the past but not sure - now that the councils have merged we may be supposed to be recycling them :huh:

I'm sick to death of our Council its new and is an amalgamation of a few Old Borough councils within a couple of County & District Councils that were all in the County - Now its 2 Councils one each for the East and West of the County plus they have some shared services. Our side of the county have spent an absolute fortune on signage, stationary and new uniforms for the staff so now they have no money for gritting roads (my bug bear since we crashed in the snow), providing proper recycling bins to those in the area who were in Councils who had weekly collections for refuse and recycling and didn't need them before the merger to help them cope with the fortnightly collections. Honestly there is recycling all over my garage - its awful.

I have 2 more bug bears and 1 is washing up my rubbish before I throw it in the bin - I got a dish washer to save me having to stand over a sink for hours washing up - now the dishes go in the dishwasher and I stand for hours washing up the rubbish :angry:

The second one is that there is no recycling and washing up of rubbish done at the Childrens Centre Milk cartons, yoghurt pots, paper, packaging and organic waste (bananna skins & stalks on bunches of grapes) all go in the refuse bins at the Childminder drop in and there isn't anyone standing there like a twit washing up the rubbish before they sling it out, BUT when ofsted come to visit us they check that we are recycling & making children aware of the importance of recycling.:angry: - Oh dear the auld soap box appears to have poped up out of nowhere again. Tut!!!!

bec123
12-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I approached my local council with regard to getting another black bin. They told me NO. Because I work as a childminder then any rubbish is commercial waste because I'm being paid to look after the children and the rubbish they produce is classed as this. I did say that I'd got 2 in nappies but they didn't want to know. :mad:

Mum2be
12-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I think the only way you can get one is if you say that there is now 5 of you in your household. I may have to try that one and see where it gets me!? I currently recycle everything.

Thanks for your help everyone! xxx

mama2three
12-02-2010, 09:54 AM
there are 5 of us - plus mindees. am going to look at council website and see if i can find out more....

mama2three
12-02-2010, 09:57 AM
newark and sherwood say households of 6 or more :(

bexcee
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I also have a large refuse bin and also a large recylcing bin. Getting the recycling bin was no problem but to get the large black bin took a bit of persuading! I told them that as a family of five we had a lot of waste especially as I had two little ones in nappies at the time. They told me to use cloth nappies so I told them I couldn't as they had sensitive skin. In fact we were using cloth nappies already but as I was about to start childminding I knew I would need a larger bin and after about three months of arguing we got one!

bexcee
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Just another thought....

I have a friend who is also a childminder and she has three little ones in nappies and the council collect her nappies each week (for no extra charge) as it is classed as clinical waste. Not sure why this applies to childminders and not households but there you go, might be worth a call to the council if you have a lot of nappies sitting in your bin for up to two weeks.