PDA

View Full Version : mirror writing

mama2three
11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
i have a 3 year old with fairly advanced writing skills , can form the majority of letters etc and writes his name very clearly. only now it is just as clear but backwards! I know its a stage of development but nothing further...anyone know more or has experience of it? Should i mention it is backwards or treat it as emergent writing and leave it? He doesnt know its backwards ( well doesnt seem to) If i ask him which letter is at the beginning he says the first letter of his name , which is actually now at the end! Not even sure that made sense , any advice / experiences and knowledge out there will be very welcome. Thankyou!!:)

Hebs
11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
is he left handed??

my son used to do this, writing was perfect but backwards :eek:

i was told it was due to him being left handed

he's able to write ok now, but still reverses some numbers

sandy64
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
hi i agree with hebs my daughter was same still does a few back to front now, Hes very young so would observe,mention to parents but not do anythink.

AliceK
11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
My DS still does this occasionally now, he was doing it quite a lot up to about 4 months ago. I mentioned it to his teacher as I was slightly concerned but she assured me it is quite common and nothing to worry about. He's 5 by the way and right handed.

xxxxxx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
My sister used to do this and my mum paid to have some tests done (not sure what the correct name is for the tests!) but the found out that she was dislexic.

Hebs
11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
My sister used to do this and my mum paid to have some tests done (not sure what the correct name is for the tests!) but the found out that she was dislexic.

mark is dyslexic too :thumbsup:

Johanna
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
A girl I use to look after as a nanny use to do mirror writing. She stop long before she went to school and then on her first day of school when she was ask to write her name she did it again in mirror writing. It's just a phase they go through and there could be lots of reasons why at that moment they write like that. First day at school she was clearly nervous. The teacher was very impressed:) Use to take the paper to the mirror and show her the reflection of what she has written on the paper. It's good to remind them which are the correct way to write but be careful not to make to big deal out of it.

Hebs
11-02-2010, 01:15 PM
It's good to remind them which are the correct way to write but be careful not to make to big deal out of it.

i was told NOT to correct them as it can make them feel nervous of writing.

mama2three
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
his letters are the right way round , just the order of them is reversed. Not worried as he is otherwise very bright, just interested in it really.

AliceK
11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
his letters are the right way round , just the order of them is reversed. Not worried as he is otherwise very bright, just interested in it really.

When my DS does it his letters are the wrong way around as well so you can literally read it in a mirror. The reason I asked his teacher about it was because I was worried it might be a sign of dyslexia but she assured me he is most def not dyslexic and as I say she said it was quite common. When he does it I do tell him but obviously not in a nasty way. I'm quite impressed actually, there's no way I could write like that :laughing:

xxxxx