PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a 4mth old has D&V??

LeanneC
10-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Hiya

Sorry to bring this subject up at lunch time BUT I have a 4 mth old mindee who this morning mum texts me at 8am after grandad drops him off at 7 30am and i had changed him as he had a major messy nappy but not runny, she says he had been sick twice this morning so had a bit of a mare! I replied asking if this was sick sick or milk sick in which she says milk sick bless him. Well at group today he had his milk a little later than usual at 10.30am as he had slept all morning which is not normal usually has milk at 9am. Anyway he was sick again all down my back :mad: It was a bit milky so didnt think anything of it. Just had his milk now again late as its normally 12 not 1.30pm but only just woke again. He hasnt been sick so far but has just had the messiest poo and very watery too (SORRY) im getting a little concerend as one of my other mindees and his whole family last week had D&V all week but he's back now all ok. Mindee seems fine apart from the sleeping lots mind you he has just started fussing now so who knows. Thing is just how do you tell if its a poorly poo and not just milk sick etc in a 4 month old???

Any advice would be greatful ladies thanks xx

madredann
10-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Not sure about that one but is the lo usually milk sick (that is usually a small amount) sounds to me like a bug especially as they are sleeping alot anything that is not normal for the lo would point to a bug. The poo would be based on how often as well as consistancy and again if it is out of character for the lo.

christine e
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Think I would be ringing for baby to be collected now - sounds to me like baby is ill.

Cx

LeanneC
10-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi ladies

thanks for that,

It was confirmed by baby being sick just as i was bending down to pick him ujp to give afternoon bottle and this was proper sick :( poor little thing, gave him a bit of milk as he was crying as he was hungry and out it came both ends this time so i text dad no reply, text mum she text back to say dad was on his way, he arrived at usual time 5pm i text at 4pm. I Just gave him cooled boiled water to sip to keep hydrated but he was fine all smiles when dad turned up apart from smelling of sick :rolleyes:
Dad said i dont know what to do... i said well take him to docs if your worried but its prob just a bug as most of the wee ones are dropping like flies just lately. He said i will speak to the mrs and see in the morning how he is to bring him :eek: i said unfortunatley its a 48hr exclusion here....he didnt seem impressed and went really quiet. What are we to do eh :angry: top it all I dont feel great this afternoon to be honest now my stomach has been bubbling :blush: hope i dont get it. Sorry to go on but aaaghhh

LeanneC
10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
:angry:

Aggghhh just had a text off mum now asking if i can have baby thurs and fri as they are struggling for childcare and cant afford to be off as dont get sickpay!!!! :eek: LIKE I DO I told her i will call after 6pm

madredann
10-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Parents really annoy me when they dont arrive quickly. When I used a childminder I was there straight away. The mother should be apologising to you for sending lo in the first place plus it could of been passed on at group and to your family. I think it shows lack of responsibility to the child and lack of respect to us. I think you knew something was wrong but didnt trust your instinct plus it is hard to ring parents when they are at work in case they think you are wasting their time.
Next time trust your instinct you are good at what you do, you care about the children you look after and I hope you dont cop for it.

madredann
10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Do not have the child! This will set a pattern for the future. Do you have a policy for sickness?

LeanneC
10-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi

yes i have a policy, D&V is exclusion for 48hrs and has to be clear of anything in that time...im calling them at 6.30pm but i just cant believe she has asked me to have him thurs and fri!!

madredann
10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Some parents do not see past the end of their nose. Again I think you know what to do it just isnt easy when talking to parents is it. I hate it when these things happen I worry about how I will inconvenience the parents but we have to put our health first you could be off next week with it and she would have to find child care again.
I cant believe she asked you.....mmmmm yes I can.
If my child was ill I wouldnt want them going to anybody else-so young too. Nurseries would be the same though and most childminders follow the 48 hour rule
let me know how the conversation goes and good luck

LeanneC
10-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Well I spoke to her...
she seemed really understanding thankfully, think she had time to think about it. She had called the doctor and was waiting for them to call back. She did say he had been sick lastnight at bath time too and had not had milk...then said he wasnt sick this morning although she had told me in a text this morning that he had - he had been twice!! i corrected her on that and she said oh yes :rolleyes:

I explained i wouldnt get paid either as im self employed and she said oh yes i understand, my work just dont understand as no-one has children in my team. When i was working and my lo went off ill, i said *** work im off to get my baby home.

Anyway he isnt back with me now until Monday, so hopefully the poor little thing will be better. He is a sicky baby anyway but to sleep all day and miss his feeds :panic: No that boy is poorly me thinks.

Thanks for your support ladies - you know this forum was the first place i turned to today as I just didnt know what to do. THANKYOU xx :thumbsup:

christine e
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Glad its all sorted out. Hopefully little one will be fully recovered by the time you have him/her again on Monday. Hope you are feeling ok now and don't come down with it!

Cx

Maguiresmonkeys
10-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I am absolutely sick of parents sending their children to me poorly :panic: Ive sent home two this week...AGAIN! We have had D&V bug 3 times in past two months now and my own children have been really poorly with it :( Ive have been shut for a total of 14 days in the past two months because of it and I really cant afford to be off again.
Sorry Ive not been much help with you, I just needed to vent :blush:
I hope you all dont get it and hope little one is better soon x

Rubybubbles
10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
glad it got sorted and little one is where they should be:)

4 months old is very young to be getting d&V I know the parent in me would drop anything makes me:mad:

LeanneC
11-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks ladies :thumbsup: