PDA

View Full Version : playing up for mum

messyplay
10-02-2010, 11:32 AM
just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on how to handle unwanted behaviour. I care for brothers 4yrs and 2 1/2 yrs I have youngest one 4 hours every day but older one only once a week spends rest of week with grandma. youngest good as gold when mum not there soon as arrives kicks off empties toy box throws it, wont get ready to go. I feel really sorry for mum as i tell her what a good boy he has been for me. grandma doesnt have both boys together only when mum present so sees unruly behaviour, calls him evil. both boy are has bad as each other when mum pick up but older one knows how to wind his brother up. grandma thinks sun shines from older one. mum threatens but not always follows through, bribes older one by offering to buy things if hes good. they both say that mum cries when they naughty. can anyone suggest anything to help. I ve told mum she has to follow through if she threatens to take away privilages

cuffleygirl
10-02-2010, 01:06 PM
It doesn't take long for a child to learn what buttons to press to get mum's attention and sadly the quickest way is the naughty route! Can you get them ready, suited and booted ready for mum to be on her way, so you minimise the time available for this behaviour?

Can't really suggest anything else, only to say its quite a common thing for the child to play up in front of mum!

messyplay
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
have tried this but mum seems to still linger also tried rewards chart but mum gives stickers out like sweets for older one (who knows hes being a pain) but makes the other work really hard just for one. we talk about how we should behave and how it makes people feel. i just want to help mum