PDA

View Full Version : help with a 4 year old

terrydoo73
10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I have had a little 4 year old since she was 9 months old. In September of last year she started to attend nursery for 2 1/2 hours every morning and her granny brings her to me after this. On 2 mornings Monday and Tuesday she has extended play time which is an extra 3/4 hour. Up until now I have also had her little brother but he is leaving me this weekend to go to private nursery. She will stay until the end of June as mum and dad are both teachers and then she will herself go to school and after school in September. I have had problems with the brother not settling well especially when she is not here in the mornings and just sitting about not playing so mums resolution was to take him to a nursery to get him integrating with children his own age - her solution not mine!

Anyway I have been thinking of what will happen from the week after next (not here because of half term next week). How will I keep her amused on her own on the 2 days she is here without any children. She does play ok on her own at times but a good proportion of the time could be spent staring at me without movement, following me around if I am doing anything in the kitchen or playroom without actually engaging in conversation or play. Also I am thinking of how she will cope on her own without her brother. What would you suggest? She will be coming in and within the first hour will have lunch but then there is a whole 3 hours before mum comes to collect and I am panicking that she might not be happy with the whole set. How can I allay my own fears - I know she will pick up on these if I don't convince myself that everything will be alright!

Chell
10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I look forward to seeing the replies. I am going to be minding a little boy once I am registered. Similar circumstances, hours, etc except it will be five days. He is my friends little boy so he has been with me before as a favour. He is very much as you describe, he doesn't play very much and follows me around. He says very little (under speech therapist).

cuffleygirl
10-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Cookery is always a good ice breaker as well as being good fun, you have conversation/instructions buts is not too in the child's face ie. forcing an un-natural conversation iyswim? Cakes is good 'cos you can make them and later ice them!

The park is another one, weather permitting, could you arrange to meet a friend there, plus lo will have swing pusher all to herself as well.

sillysausage
10-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I was going to suggest cookery too! Time to make her feel special and do lots of activities that are difficult when a younger child is there....so in addition to cookery, how about Hama beads/aquabeads, simple jewellery making (paper beads etc), simple science activities, gardening and growing plants, puppet making, puppet theatre, board games.
Having an older preschooler one on one is quite hard because they do seem to prefer the company of their peers and often seem a bit 'lost' without anyone to play with.....because lets face it, we as adults often feel uncomfortable playing the games they want to play.

angiemog
10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I would maybe offer her a few choices of what she would like to do. The library if you have one close by is great. Have a look and see if you have any free activities happening near you. Hama beads as someone already mentioned is great for that age. Cooking is great. Depending on funds maybe an afternoon snack in a cafe.....or make cakes before lunch. Have lunch decorate cakes...... then park, library, walk....... We did the 3 little pigs not too long ago. We collected some straw like stuff, twigs and cut bricks out of red paper and made the houses for a display. I just drew very basic houses on card and the littlies decorated them. I think you'll find the time will go quick... x