PDA

View Full Version : any advice quickly please

disney
13-03-2008, 09:32 AM
have a 7 year old come to me this morning she told me her 12 year old brother was picking her up from school tonight , i said that i couldnt let her go as mum has not said anything to me about this . i also only have written permission nan , dad & aunty to pick up . really just wanted to no what do you think i should do when i go down school tonight .if i dont let her go mum will be funny , but what are ofsteds rules about this any one know . what would you do ? x:idea:

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 09:35 AM
What would I do ?

I would still be there to collect this child

I would also try to contact the parent to tell her that I would still be there

Could be that this is untrue anyway you know what kids are like anyway and im sure the parent would have informed you - if she has not then that is very rude of her

If she expects her son to collect her in future tell her you expect to be notified in writing

Maybe you should give this parent a call now ?

Good luck

Angel xx

miffy
13-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree - ring the parent and sort this out

Miffy xx

Splish Splosh
13-03-2008, 09:39 AM
yes give the parent a call as i thought that you were unable to hand over the care to a child under the age of 16, as her brother is only 12 its not right that he is responsible for her. we do get put in some difficult situations at times.

avril
13-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree - ring the parent and sort this out

Miffy xx

Ditto, most definately confirm this with the parent.

Avril x:)

sarah707
13-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Against every safeguarding rule we follow... a 12 year old! :eek:

I would pick the child up if you cannot contact the mother in the meantime.

Blaze
13-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Agree with what's been said above...except i don't hand over care to anyone under 18.
Tasha:)

berkschick
13-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I would call the parent and say that you can not allow the child to be picked up by another child (!) and that you will still be collecting her from school.

disney
13-03-2008, 12:53 PM
i have rang mum , made a fool of myself im afraid . as last week we changed contracts and she said she didnt want me to have her any more after school on thursdays . sorry guys i forgot:blush: so her brother is picking her up and looking after her x

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 12:56 PM
i have rang mum , made a fool of myself im afraid . as last week we changed contracts and she said she didnt want me to have her any more after school on thursdays . sorry guys i forgot:blush: so her brother is picking her up and looking after her x

:eek: :eek: What??? A twelve year old ???:panic:

emler
13-03-2008, 01:26 PM
OMG!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Emler x

disney
13-03-2008, 01:29 PM
yes a 12 year old , idid say that & she said well its only untill 6 pm . and that she didnt come out of school untill 4 pm instead of the usual 3.15 but still i dont think its right , have seen her with him before she never listens to him .

but i dont blame the children , i feel for them mum just makes me feel :angry: iknow over the shcool holidays hes home alone thats one thing but to have this kind of responsabilty is wronge sometimes i say this and she says i need to get with the times . dont think i want to then:rolleyes:

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 01:29 PM
You did not make a fool of yourself at all

I can not believe that someone would allow a 12 year old to collect a young child from school

The 8 year old I mind his brother who is 12 collects him from my door - but I watch them go over to the car and dad waves so we both know he is safe and thats a 30 second walk

Amazing some people are

Angel xx

berkschick
13-03-2008, 01:32 PM
My daughter will be 14 in september and I would not ask her to collect my 7 year old and look after him, I cant believe that! Just to save a few quid.

lizzymoonshine
13-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't believe that! I somtimes think that some parents are from a different planet!

:eek:

disney
13-03-2008, 01:55 PM
i know the thing is i feel awful because i had her in the mornings at my normal rate when i did a new contract i asked for an extra £2 just for 1 unsociable hour each morning costing her an extra £ 8 a week , so she said dont bother with thursdays so the money stays the same . now i feel bad:mad: x

Chimps Childminding
13-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't believe a parent would rather a 12 year old look after their child than pay a childminder a few extra pounds - sometimes I really wonder what some of these parents are thnking of!! :panic:

Blaze
13-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Umm isn't this illegal!
Tasha:rolleyes:

oakie dokie
13-03-2008, 05:37 PM
its not ilegal, but if anything happens to the children then parents are in serious trouble.

hazelx

oakie dokie
13-03-2008, 05:38 PM
sorry spellings. der!

hazelx

tulip0803
13-03-2008, 05:48 PM
its not ilegal, but if anything happens to the children then parents are in serious trouble.

hazelx

Hazel's right there is no legal age for baby-sitting. There is also no law that says that you cannot leave any child alone :eek: . Providing they are safe and have access to food and water ( like a pet!). It is only if it is for a long period or if something happens that the parent can then be charged with abandonment , neglect or child endangerment! This came from police at child protection course:eeeek: .

Michelle M
13-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I had the same situation her brother was 12 and he was looking after her until 9pm when the parents came home from work I was shocked, I am glad she isn’t on my books anymore

elaineg
13-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I dont think the school I pick up from would allow a child to go off with a 12 year old. do they know hes looking after her until 6.

love Elaine XXX

flora
13-03-2008, 08:27 PM

better you made a fool of yourself than didn't check it out. :)

michellethegooner
13-03-2008, 08:45 PM
had something similiar to this a few yrs ago had a girl of 7 who came to me after school, on contract mum had put down older brother (21yrs) herself and older sister (19) to pick up dd, anyway one day the girls 11yr brother turned up to pick up his sister all I had from mum was txt saying she was working late and the girls 'brother' wud b picking her up not which one.

Anyway when I seen this young lad at my door I was furious with mum as I knew the 20 min walk these 2 had ahead of them in the dark through a quiet badly lit walkthrough and I decided it was not worth the risk and then rang mother and 2 emergency contacts no answer on emergency contacts and mums phone went to answerphone, I left a message stating that under no circumstances would I leave either child take the walk home alone and they would stay at my home until she contacted me with a agreed adult to pick them up.

she rang bck not very happy and I explained that I was not allowed to let her daughter leave my premises with any one other than who we agreed and that I would also be applying the late collection charges as I had not agreed to this pick up.

When mum eventually arrived I explained my reasons and used an example stating if something happened i would be held responsable and the child's care and safety is my priority mum accepted this and apolagised I now have it included in my policy that no miners are permitted to collect any mindees.

Michelle x

disney
13-03-2008, 09:21 PM
i agree with all this and no one under 16 will be allowed to pick their child up from me , but mum is not contracted for thursdays so really dont know what i can do . have just started my nspcc child protection course and it says that their is not a legal age when a child can be left & that you are not breaking the law as long as the child is safe and no harm can come to them .

dont know if the school knows he is picking her up , maybe not as school finishes at 3.15 but she stays behind untill 4.15 for dance club :) also he waits for her outside the gates

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 09:32 PM
This reminds me of a few years ago. Wendy and I used to pick up from a nursery at lunchtime and a mum used to park outside and get her five year old to go in to collect her four year old sister!!! One particular day we saw them standing alone at the side of the road with no mum in sight, turns out mum had parked at a different entrance and the five year old had forgotten.
We were really cross with the school for allowing this and let them know in no uncertain terms.
Bl**dy lazy mare !!

tinkerbell_85
14-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I would either ring the parents and ask if this is what is happening becuase sometimes children can get things into their head which aren't the case. do you know what i mean?
Plus if you aren't there and the child isn't going home with her brother, then is the parents going to get funny with you?

Personally i would be there to pick the child home and say that u haven't heard it from an adult so you'll carry on as normal.

Tinkerbell

chelle
14-03-2008, 10:28 PM
OMG there are some right horror stories :eek: cant believe these sort of things happen:mad:
chelle.