PDA

View Full Version : Overnight care checks?

Jessicasmummy
09-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I've been doing overnight care for about 6 years now and usually have much older ones, generally over 6yrs.

I've just taken on a new mindee overnight, he is 11 months old. I'm a bit confused on how many checks i should be doing with him through the night, should i be setting my alarm to check on him?

When I had my very first inspection years ago i remember ofsted telling me that i should be checking on sleeping children at least every 15 minutes and recording this. This is not a problem for daytime naps, but what about overnight?

Heaven Scent
09-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I've had 2 kiddies over night i've just put a monitor in the room with them - if they woke I would have turned the monitor off in my room and gone and slept in the room with them - its my job and not DH's but so long as they don't wake then I wouldn't sleep in with them nor would I stay awake all night - Their own parents wouldn't and you'd be a risk to them the next day if you were sleep deprived.

Jessicasmummy
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes i totally agree with you, but will ofsted be happy with this? no sleep checks?

Ripeberry
09-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Use a monitor, what do Ofsted want us to do? Stay awake all night as well?
I did not register for overnight as once I wake in the early morning, I can never get back to sleep :(