PDA

View Full Version : does anyone use a cleaner?

estrelas
09-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I just can't find the time to organise clothes, clean uopstairs etc I work till 9.30. 4 nights a week

Just wondered if anyone uses one?

Tink
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
My mum cleans for me bless her.

I just don't seem to have the time:eek:

Tatjana
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
No, but have thought about it alot.

Thing is, not sure when i'd ask them to come in and what to do, because I need to clean everyday really but couldn't afford that!

Was thinking of getting someone in monthly or forthnightly to do a deep clean,including things like bathroom tiles, skirting boards etc and then I could keep on top of it easier and maybe some ironing too as it's not good for my back.

xx

sarak31
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I've got a lovely lady that I found through advertising in a newsagents window - she's helped me out on and off for 3 years now. I've tried using cleaning companies but they won't tidy - only clean - which doesn't help if you are drowing under housework and can't keep on top of it (which is my life) as it tends to all be messy then too! Having someone casual means you don't have to sign a contract and can use them when you need them too - as long as you don't leave them alone with the children I think it's fine. My lady had been cleaning for 20 years so had lots of references I could talk to. I think you can claim it as taxable expense I think as well maybe?

estrelas
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
No, but have thought about it alot.

Thing is, not sure when i'd ask them to come in and what to do, because I need to clean everyday really but couldn't afford that!

Was thinking of getting someone in monthly or forthnightly to do a deep clean,including things like bathroom tiles, skirting boards etc and then I could keep on top of it easier and maybe some ironing too as it's not good for my back.

xx

This was what I was thinking, maybe a couple of hours on a friday
Skirting boards etc
Upstairs bathroom etc
Then would only need minimum in the week

carol cameron
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, I do and it's wonderful!,. She is a friend of mine who used to work in childcare so is crb checked .I put half the cost through my books as she also cleans upstairs which I don't use for childminding and she does 4 hours on a friday morning. I would recommend it as it really takes the pressure off spending the entire weekend doing household chores.Cx

amanda1309
09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I have one.
Only been coming a couple of weeks but its the best money I've spent.
They do all stuff that i don't like doing.
I just keep on top of the downstairs through the week.

estrelas
09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, I do and it's wonderful!,. She is a friend of mine who used to work in childcare so is crb checked .I put half the cost through my books as she also cleans upstairs which I don't use for childminding and she does 4 hours on a friday morning. I would recommend it as it really takes the pressure off spending the entire weekend doing household chores.Cx

stupid question but do they put clothes away in drawers etc?
This is my main prob, I wash and dry then they get stacked and don't generally make it to anyones drawers so they is always clothes everywhere:blush:

atmkids
09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I have one that comes in for 2 hours on a Thursday afternoon when I'm not working and it's made such a difference to my life. It's amazing how much she does in 2 hours. She does mainly upstairs, cleans the bathrooms, hoovers all rooms, cleans mirrored wardrobes, skirting boards, door frames etc and even has time to do a bit downstairs as well!

I usually do the ironing at the same time and this enables me to relax with the kids more at the weekend.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Twinkles
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I have had cleaners in the past. I don't know if it's me but they didn't stay long :panic: I think it's because we are so untidy :D

The last one I had to let go when DH didn't have much work on. The average charge round here is £10 per hour !!! :eek:

MrsT333
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
i'v been thinking about this for awhile, for the same reasons, it seems as everyone else, weekends are just catch up to housework,
will they have to be CRB checked? would we have to pay for that?
how much do they charge???
thanks,
i'll be following this post!

Jessicasmummy
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I have a cleaner, just for 3 hours on a friday, its difficult to find the time when i seem to have mindees so much, makes all the difference :D

Chatterbox Childcare
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I have a cleaner once a week for 2.5 hours and a window cleaner that comes in once or twice a year to clean of excess hand prints

PixiePetal
09-02-2010, 01:19 PM
one of my best friends does 2 hrs a week for me. It's a big house so can't do everything in that time but keeps it all under control - she is so good at it too - her house is spotless:rolleyes:

Mainly upstairs and a bit down. I keep to the playroom when she is downstairs although she is CRB by her dd school, we were nannys at the same time 20+ years ago :)

Keeps my teens in order - they have to have tidy room so she can clean them or do it themselves!

I love it when I go out and come back to a clean home :thumbsup:

Worth every penny. DD said she would rather have Clare come and clean than get pocket money when money was a bit tight. :laughing:

Gizmo
09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I would love a cleaner but i'm really pernickity (think Monica Geller) so will probably stick with doing it myself :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
09-02-2010, 01:23 PM
I have a window cleaner :thumbsup:

Too fussy to have a cleaner, i would end up going behind them when they went :D :blush:

carol cameron
09-02-2010, 01:31 PM
No she doesn't put things away- well clothes etc but I find I try and tidy a little before she arrives and then she can get more cleaning done.Sometimes I end up with piles of stuff but as long as she can clean round it I am happy. She does stuff like hoover, wash paintwork, clean windows, wash floors etc and she really is a treasure. Carolx

marian
09-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I would love a cleaner but i'm really pernickity (think Monica Geller) so will probably stick with doing it myself :laughing:

I know exactly where you are coming from!:laughing: - Me too!!!:rolleyes:

Marian x

The Juggler
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
No, but I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

estrelas
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
No, but I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

i've just booked one, coming for inital visit week after half term :thumbsup:

The Juggler
09-02-2010, 02:33 PM
i've just booked one, coming for inital visit week after half term :thumbsup:

can you see how green I am............wish I could have one:(

estrelas
09-02-2010, 02:38 PM
can you see how green I am............wish I could have one:(

I can't afford it either, but the mess is driving me mad :laughing:

ChocolateChip
09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I have one- my friend's sister comes and does 2hrs a week for me, it's fab!
She does my bathroom, a good dust and hoover through the landing, stairs, hallway and lounge (they're none of them huge, lol!) and she does a good clean round my kitchen, surfaces, cupboard fronts and floor and even does any leftover dishes for me and also does the bins and takes the rubbish out.
She comes on a Thursday which means I can keep it nice for the weekend without having to do too much, and then keep on top of it through the rest of the week.
I'd recommend it :D

PixiePetal
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I can't afford it either, but the mess is driving me mad :laughing:

I couldn't really afford it for a while when my work dried up, but my family think it is worth it to keep me sane and free from nagging for help from them so much!! :laughing:

grindal
09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I have a cleaner too! She comes for 3 hrs a week on a thurs morning. She does not put clothes away for me, but cos she does so many other things I find time to keep clothes organised now. I would recommend one too :clapping:

Bushpig
09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I have a cleaner on a Friday... she comes for 4 hours and is a godsend :thumbsup:

She does both bathrooms, landing, skirtings, kitchen (not deep cleaning - that we do as and when needed), all hoovering... and whatever ironing we have for that week. Focussed on CM areas used by the kids most as those need more cleaning... places like my own bedroom/study she does every second week as that needs minimal cleaning as no little tykes go in there :laughing:

ajs
09-02-2010, 04:14 PM
i have one too, she's not the worlds best cleaner but she does do the jobs that i hate doing and never seem to find the time for anyway.
i am happy to do a deeper clean when i have time if i don't have to do the everyday jobs like the toilets and the kitchen floor

she comes on a thursday which is good for me as it means wednesday night is spent tidying all of the toys and clothes so that she can get to the floors

i also pay one of my mum's to iron hubbies shirts as i hate ironing and she loves it

Tired
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I keep thinking about it, but they are so expensive.

I know that 2 or 3 hours a week wont cost too much in total, but I would resent having her here cleaning for an hour and earning about 2.5 times more than I am in the same time!

sandy64
09-02-2010, 06:00 PM
bliss would love a cleaner but cant afford one shame tho, but after reading this maybe i should change jobs and be a cleaner id earn more i could come to your houses you could keep me in buisness.:clapping: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing:

Playmate
09-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I have had 2 in the past, but just don't clean to my standards :blush:
I desperately need to find one that does!

ajs
09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I have had 2 in the past, but just don't clean to my standards :blush:
I desperately need to find one that does!

no none of mine have ever either but i just don't have the time or the inclination to clean toilets and they do a good enough job to keep me happy

Mrs Book
09-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a cleaner & a cook. A person who does the weekly food shop, washing & all my ironing. She is fab & her name is ME!!!!

Oh how I wish I could afford a a cleaner. Do have a window cleaner who comes once a month. Just wish he did inside as well.

Do try and shove a load of washing in before mindee comes. But emptying the washer and putting it on the rack is one of her fav jobs. Do try to do a lot of my cleaning on a Friday afternoon as don't work Friday. But rest is fitted in as and when.

Bedrooms are the rooms I do find hard to keep on top off. The one I use for sleep isn't too bad but the other two are a mess. My registered rooms and bathroom are vaccumed and kitchen & bathroom floor cleaned daily. So not too bad.

Think it is routine & just keeping on top of it all.

Also have week off with mindee over halfterm so have told my two we are staying in one day so I can do a huge pile of cleaning.

MacFi
09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Would love one but as I earn £6.25 an hour and a cleaner is £10.00 doesnt make sense. Feel like I have two jobs, childminder and lackey for the rest of the family too!

miffy
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
No, have never had one or wanted one - you have to tidy up first :eek: :eek: :laughing:

Miffy xx

Lou
09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I used to have one when i was childminding, it was fab, she used to come on a friday morning. I would take the mindees out to soft play so she could crack on. She would do the whole house, and it would be spotless. I would take packed lunch for mindees and feed them in the cafe at soft play, and then they would all nap in the afternoon.

It was so lovely having the house all nice for the weekend.

Now i work out of the house, I cant really justify it, We are all out of the house all day, so no mess is being made, I get up at 6.30am and get organised, and leave the house tidy, so its still like that when i get in, and as i dont have the paperwork etc to do on top, i dont mind too much cleaning the bathrooms at the weekend.

My mum does do some ironing for me sometimes if i leave it in an obvious place!!!!!:blush:

cas2805
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I have just started paying my Mum to do a couple of hours a week as I have just taken on two PT babies! So no time to clean when I have a baby of my own.

Thought this was safer than having a stranger around and my parents know her already.

Can we really claim something?

Desi-101
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I have had cleaners in the past. I don't know if it's me but they didn't stay long :panic: I think it's because we are so untidy :D

The last one I had to let go when DH didn't have much work on. The average charge round here is £10 per hour !!! :eek:

Ha ha, I should give up childminding and become a cleaner in your area!!

Merry-Minder
10-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Pernickity! - I thought it was just me that used that word - lol!:laughing:

dobby
10-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I have one coming round on Friday for the first time to talk about what I need etc - I am panicking in case she takes one look and decides NO WAY!!:panic:

To those of you that have cleaners, how did you decide wether they were any good? How do you "interview" them? I mean I am just grateful I dont have to do it to be honest?! I am thinking I should have higher standards than that but not sure what to ask?? :panic:

PixiePetal
10-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I have one coming round on Friday for the first time to talk about what I need etc - I am panicking in case she takes one look and decides NO WAY!!:panic:

To those of you that have cleaners, how did you decide wether they were any good? How do you "interview" them? I mean I am just grateful I dont have to do it to be honest?! I am thinking I should have higher standards than that but not sure what to ask?? :panic:

Mine is one of my best friends so no problems with 'interview' - I know she is a clean-a-holic and she knows I am a mess!! :laughing:

Make a quick list of jobs you would like doing, find out what she will be able to get done in the time. Mine does not change beds and I need to tidy so she can clean. Work out the areas you need done most - bathroom and bedrooms for me :rolleyes: this means I don't hoover or dust upstairs at all :thumbsup:

Thank goodness for Clare :clapping:

I had someone else once before who was faintly useless but something was better than nothing and I was working flat out at the time. When my work load cut down, I had to stop the cleaner.:blush:

dobby
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks Pixiepetal. I am going to make a list tomorrow,have an extra day off as one mindee left last week and another is starting next week. There seems to be 2 types of cleaner from my investigations - the agency ones who come with referances,insurance and a stand in provided if usual one away, and the ladies (or gents, no sexism here :) ) who do it cash in hand for an additional income, no insurance but highly recommended by friends/contacts etc.

Cost seems to be no indicator of quality from speaking to folks I have found out have cleaners (nobody seems to admit it around here like a dirty secret lol :D ) just a case of finding the person that clicks withwhat you want - bit like finding perfect childminder then :rolleyes:

Woman coming on Friday is retired, recommended by someone on netmums. She is very reasonable and sounded lovely on the phone, but I need someone who can sort out the dust in the crannys and cobwebs in me nooks - so hope shes alright for bending and stretching!!!

Rubybubbles
10-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't but if I was to be working full time with the childminding yes i would:thumbsup: I looked into it before, then some mindies left me:laughing:

Mollymop
11-02-2010, 08:08 AM
I could never employ a cleaner I am too much of a private person to have someone going through my drawers!:laughing: Plus I would fine myself polishing and hooving up before she came:rolleyes:

nokidshere
11-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a cleaner who comes once a week on a Friday morning and I wouldn't giver her up for anything!

Its bliss having the house clean and tidy for the weekends :D

We tidy up on thursday night and she cleans the whole house on Fridays. And she doesn't sneak around, or look in my drawers or anything else - she just cleans lol

go for it - it will change your life :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I could never employ a cleaner I am too much of a private person to have someone going through my drawers!:laughing: Plus I would fine myself polishing and hooving up before she came:rolleyes:

I love it that mine is one of my best mates - nothing to hide from her but I trust her completely. We know all each others little secrets anyway :blush: (nothing too bad, honest!)

dobby
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Funnily enough, have been going round the house thinking "must tidy that up before cleaner comes tomorrow! :blush: :D

Not worried about cleaner going through draws etc as I will be here all the time cleaner is around as Friday morning is when I catch up on paperwork - well aside from when DH is getting "little jobs" for me to do :angry:

But as he told me yesterday, hiring and management of cleaner is my responsibility then I cannot possible do his errands as I will be "managing" wont i?:rolleyes:

Mind you as my method of tidying often involves shoving stuff in drawers/behind doors etc god help them if they did:eek:

Mcgons
11-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Me too, and would stress even more if they didn't do it to my standard so not worth it for me!

Beckieboo
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
This is something that i have been thinking about and i just wondered what you pay per hour? I know my sister in law would love the extra cash and would be helping me out but just wondered what a fair rate would be???

mumx3
11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a cleaner, couldnt be without her. I pay her cash in hand though. I think this means I cannot claim anything as expenses...does anyone know if I can or cant?

dobby
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Best way of finding rates is to ask on your local netmums and also google your area + cleaner. Price seems no promise of quality though from what i have been told.