PDA

View Full Version : Numbers question

berkschick
10-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

Not quite registered yet, just waiting for my CRB to come through! But I have advertised on Gumtree and had a few emails of interest.

Tonight I have had my first "do I go with my head or heart" phone call from a desperate Mum!

She wants me to have her 13 month old 6 hours a week but she wants me to be flexible with when I have her. It will be anyime between 10 and 2 but it could be any day of the week so this obviously stuffs my chances of filling the place with a 50 hour full timer for the sake of 6 hours! I already have a 16 month old lined up for Tues and Thurs and I have a 16 month old myself so obviously this would make me "full" on 2 days a week before I have even started!

The problem is she was so lovely on the phone and has obviously had problems finding childcare.

My question is this, how likely is it that OFSTED would allow me to mind 4 under 5's for the 6 hours this little one would attend? Obviously I thinking ahead and might not even fill the other place or have the need to ask!

Thanks in advance, I hope I have made sense! I have left it with Mum that she will come vsit in the new year so I have bought myself a few thinking weeks.

Love

Debbie

deeb66
10-12-2007, 10:34 PM
My instinct is to say that I doubt very much that they would allow you to do this.

Ofsted tends to go through different phases but they are being quite strict with minders over their numbers at the moment. At the moment they seem only to be allowing a 'variation' in numbers when sibblings are involved.

Also the fact that you will be a newly registered minder also goes against you.

Having said all the above why not ask them and see what they say - they can only tell you no.

berkschick
11-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi Dee,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to ring OFSTED this morning and see what they say. I meant to say it would just be term time hours too.

Its really hard when you are just registering I think because the thought is, well my thought seems to be anyway!, to fill your places asap and take on whoever rings first! But I dont want to mess this lady around if I get a full timer and have to give her notice and I dont want to leave myself short all for the sake of 6 hours work!

Love

Debbie

lindylou
11-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I would say they would probably say no as all the children in question are very young i think as the other post say they are normally okay with siblings, and maybe if one of the babies was a bit older 3 or 4.
Let us know how you get on
Lindaxx

berkschick
11-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Linda,

I think you are right and that they will say no. I know I would be able to cope, I have 4 children of my own, but there is too much going against me! The ages of the children, the fact I am newly registered, etc. Its worth a call though, will let you know what they say!

Thanks

Debbie

Polly2
11-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi Debbie

Something similar happened to me earlier in the year.

The mum was so desperate that i said i would do it as long as i could.

this meant that once my spaces started filling up there were some days that i could not do.

we wrote this into the contract and said we would continue for as long as i could fit her in.

this worked for us but every one is different you have to do whats right for you.

take care
holly

berkschick
11-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi again,

I have just spoken to OFSTED. First of all, my CRB is now at stage 4 so hopefully it wont be too long before I have that back now!

Regarding the numbers, they advised me to write in to my local office once I am registered and request the variation. He said each case is looked at in its own right and the fact I am newly registered shouldnt affect it.

I think I am going to email Mum back now and say like Holly suggested that I can take her on on a temp basis until I fill my places or OFSTED ok me having her as an extra. How did it work out for you in the end Holly?

Thanks again

Love

Debbie

Polly2
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
hi debbie

It worked out fine I am still looking after baby. Mum is great about it - she gives me dates a month in advance and if I am booked up for any of them she either swaps shift with someone or gets family to help.

We get on really well and she understands the arrangment. I think thats the key really.

Would be even better if you could get the variation though, hope it goes well.

take care
Hollyx

berkschick
11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Holly,

Im glad it all worked out for you and that you still have the little one. Hopefully it will work out ok for me too in the end! I was tossing and turning half the night thinking about this.

Mum has just emailed me back to say she still wants to meet me in the new year with a view to me looking after her daughter even if it only temp so thats really good news! Im really chuffed, all this from a free ad on gumtree!

Thanks for all the help,

Love

Debbie

deeb66
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Debbie

I am glad it is all working out for you.

I would be interested to know what Ofsted say when you put in the formal request so let us know.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that they say yes.

Mollymop
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
HI Debbie X

You have done well getting interest already..and filling spaces!!!:clapping:
Lucky you XXX

Good luck with ofsted.:)
sandra x

Polly2
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
thats brilliant!

well done, glad you sorted.

take care