PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your child is ill ?

Mel09
09-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi there,

My little boy came down with a viral infection over the weekend, he had a rash and his eye was all swollen. The rash has nearly gone, but his eye still looks sore but the doc says it is contagious so need to wait til it is back to normal.

If your child has something like this how do you work it, if it has just about gone do you say to your mindees it is up to you, I will keep everything clean etc...... but there is a chance they might get it, or do you wait until it is completely gone. I know the lady I work for is lovely and said it was fine, but she can’t take too much time off, so can I just put the ball in her court ?

I don't care about not being paid, I am just worried she will think I am unreliable but she knows me well and knows I would only ever do this if there was a risk to her kids. She said she totally understands. Thanks :)

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I know how you feel, i have one parent who thinks it the end of the world when my children are ill and i have to close, and then in have another one whos very understanding.

The understanding parent - looks at it as if my daughter is ill then her son probably will have caught it already and she till sends him- which i can understand as they go to nursery together then spend another 4 hours togther at my house.

The Other parent who is not at all understanding doesnt send her child.

However Last week my daughter was really unwell and thankfully my husband was off work for the week and spent all his time looking after her until she ended up in hospital and then i closed for that day and the rest of the week.

I think it all depends on the parents and what is wrong with the child, also what you have written in your policy and procedures.

Not really sure if this is helpful or not !!!!!!!!

miss mopple
09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I always put the ball in their couurt if I feel I am able to work still. Usually they take the risk :rolleyes: I make it VERY clear that if their LO gets it they will need to stay at home though!

singingcactus
09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
If my little boy is sick then I close. I want to look after my own child and ensure he is as comfortable as possible. I don't put it in the parents court at all, if my kid is sick then they keep their kids away until my boy is better. If their kid is sick they keep their kids away until their kid is better so they don't make my kid sick.
If my teens are ill then they hide out upstairs to stay away from my little one anyway so other kids still come - unless my big kids are sick in a way that makes them need me.

Or if you are like one of my parents, you mask your little kids symptoms and send a really sick kid to daycare and make your providers kid sick. Oh yeah, and then you get a letter sent home terminating the contract.

sandy64
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
hi if its d.v i would always do 48hrs closure as it spreads so fast but thinks like chickenpox i will ask parents i think for you its how your son feels and how infectious it is, sorry cant be more help hope your son is better soon:)

sarahw
16-02-2010, 10:38 PM
If my little boy is sick then I close. I want to look after my own child and ensure he is as comfortable as possible. I don't put it in the parents court at all, if my kid is sick then they keep their kids away until my boy is better. If their kid is sick they keep their kids away until their kid is better so they don't make my kid sick.
If my teens are ill then they hide out upstairs to stay away from my little one anyway so other kids still come - unless my big kids are sick in a way that makes them need me.

Or if you are like one of my parents, you mask your little kids symptoms and send a really sick kid to daycare and make your providers kid sick. Oh yeah, and then you get a letter sent home terminating the contract.

Oh to be able to afford to do this! My little girl and my mindee are at pre-school together and as such come home with bugs all the time. I have a younger one too, who tends to pick up the bugs from the older two so I have a house of ill quite often. If I closed for each illness I am unsure if I'd ever work. Instead I go with the same "exclusions" as the pre-school. Having said this some illnesses are best mixed - such as chicken pox - to get out of the way! It's a difficult one, depends on how many in the setting and how much you need the money! I believe its still possible to look after your ill children whilst minding, I make up a sick bed on the sofa for my little one and make sure that the other children don't harass or wind her up too much!