PDA

View Full Version : Assessment System

clorogue
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
When you assess the child where they are at - eg colours, number recognition, shapes etc. Do you have one form you fill in with all the information or do you have a different system? Would be so interested in what you all dlo - thanks!!!!!

sarah707
08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Assessment is an ongoing thing.

When a child first comes you need to talk to parents and get information from them, which you can put against the Eyfs 6 areas of Learning and development.

Then as you go along, you will get more ideas of what the child knows... I think of them as I CAN moments...

You suddenly realise the child can do something!!

Then as you build up your observations, assessments and individual planning you will see a pattern forming of what the child can do.

It's a simple matter then of thinking about what to do next to help the child progress.

Hth :D

clorogue
08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks Sarah, I know I am assessing all the time and doing written observations and planning, but I just wondered whether there was a 'tick chart' sheet - to simplify things even more - I am just getting a bit confused as to how to record it all.

Thanks again

sarah707
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
These might help!

Don't use them as tick sheets though! Use them to check you have met all the areas of L & D for each child. :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50153&highlight=grids

clorogue
08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Thank you Sarah for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to put a copy in each of the children's learning journals and possibly highlight them when they are achieved, do you think this is the best way? Thank you so much again.

sarah707
08-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Thank you Sarah for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to put a copy in each of the children's learning journals and possibly highlight them when they are achieved, do you think this is the best way? Thank you so much again.

You are very welcome!

So long as you have evidence of the child reaching the goal then that's fine... and very much what i do.

What we must never do is use them on their own as tick lists :eek:

Everything must have evidence - obs, photo, piece of child's work, parent comment, child comment, other setting info etc :D

clorogue
09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Thank you so much Sarah. But is there a chart out there for example that you can tick eg

Regognising Capital Letters, Regonising Lower Case Letters, Saying the Alphabet, Writing Lower Case letters etc

Then the same with shapes, numbers etc. I hope you understand what I mean and could this be put at the back the learning journey? I just want to cover everything if you see what I mean!

sarah707
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
No there isn't and the Eyfs says it must not be used like that.

Teachers have charts for reception age children but we must just show a progression of learning and development through play, meeting children's interests etc.

Hth :D

clorogue
10-02-2010, 07:12 PM
That has helped me enormously Sarah!!! Then to have all the observations etc in a learning journey is OK and their progression - I think I was trying to be too organised - THANKS AGAIN!