PDA

View Full Version : First Ofsted inspection

Melissa
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Just thought I'd share my first inspection experience! I'd read lots of horror stories and was really dreading it, just anticipating I'd do something silly/wrong and put my foot in it. I think the worst thing was having read on here that they usually stay 3-4 hours!

In the end it was *fine*. She arrived just after 9am and stayed til nearly half 11, less than 2 and a half hours, not too bad at all! I only had my own 14 month old daughter and 12 month mindee (it was her birthday the day of inspection, bless her). The inspector was really friendly and easy-going (my pre-reg inspector had seemed really scary and strict!) I hadn't properly filled in my SEF or sent it off, but I had bullet-pointed a few notes for most questions so I wonder if that helped speed it up. When dad dropped mindee off she asked him lots of questions, I think he was more nervous than me! She just sat with her laptop and didn't really look around (I expected her to go upstairs and check bathroom but she didn't) though my house is small and openplan so maybe she felt she could see everything. She noticed I forgot to wipe the babies' hands before snacktime, oops!

In the end I got an overall "good", yay! with satisfactory in a few areas :
- should get more diversity resources
- should get more toys in natural materials eg treasure baskets (I knew I lacked in both these areas and said so)
- patnership with other providers - I haven't yet had the opportunity to show I can do well in this area so she could only give me satisfactory.

I'm very pleased, I was just praying I hadn't missed something and wouldn't get inadequate, so a good is brilliant for me - have only been minding 2 months!

xxx

Merry-Minder
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Well done! It looks like you did really good.

Luckily I think most peoples inspections are positive, but it dosent stop the nerves builing up!

Melissa
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Also want to add, I was fairly self-critical, but in a good way - I pointed out that so far I haven't been doing any short-term planning (my mindee seems too young) but that I was about to start planning the odd actvities as she is getting older and has a more structured day, more settled etc, and I think free-playing is best at that age. Anything she asked that I seemed lacking, I admitted it and said I had thought about it and explained why I hadn't implemented it yet, or what problems I was having. This seemed to work really well as then it seemed as though we were just having a friendly professional chat about how it was all going. I think the best thing if they identify any weaknesses is to say you have considered it and talk about it. Inspectors seem more concerned when you haven't put the thought in, rather than whether you are actually *doing* something or not.

xxx

Melissa
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Thank you! I think it is the knowledge that the grading may stay with you for the next 3 years. Just thought of something I do regret, and that is that although I actually do have a few diversity books and toys, I just told her this, I didn't actually get them out and directly show her them. I wish I had as I felt I could have impressed her a bit more...ah well, more stuff to add to my wish list!

xxx

geordiebunny
13-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you for this my friend had her inspection on friday it lasted 3 hours and I had a message asking if I could have mine this week so reading this has helped.

Cazz
13-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Well done on your good :clapping:

That's a really positive thread about the Ofsted inspection which is very welcome as I've got mine anytime now!

By the way, the things you got satisfactory for - I will probably get the same then as I'm lacking in those areas as well. Like you, I have put in my sef that I don't do/have them and that I intend to introduce them. Just hope I get a good overall as well.