View Full Version : Grr why can't people make up thier minds

Jelly Baby
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
(Longish sorry)..Ok going back quite a few months one of my mums said to me she was thinking ahead to when her dd turned 3 and her free nursery places. She asked if i could have her instead as didnt want to use a nursery to which i said i didnt think so but she should ring round and find out. She decided a few weeks after that, that she didnt want to move her and she would be staying with me..great i was happy with that.

A few more months pass and come Jan i get back off holiday to have the origional conversation with her about nursery etc..i said again i was sure unless i was accredited that she would have to send her to nursery..on it went!

Last week especially i nagged as she is my only week child apart from a thursday and i wanted to know what was going on..she said she would fine out..

This morning i have had an assesment with a lady who i asked about it all..to cut short she said i can still keep the child if mum decides she doesnt want to send her..so that was good and when mum arrived a little while ago and said 'ill deff sort this nursery business out later' i jumped in saying well unless you have changed your mind..and explained what ide just been told.

Now you would think after all this time she had made her mind up but no..now she is saying she really wants to leave her with me still BUT have some of the nursery used..she thinks..she doesnt want to unsettle her though and has had 2 bad experiences with local nurseries so wasnt overly keen yet still wont give me a yes or no..grr..i have said i will look for a day job if she leaves as have no other kids so PLEASE make a decision!!

What would you do as will be around April time now she 'thinks'! do they not realsie this is our job and we need to know what is going on?!


08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
well, i know it is annoying, but i suppose she only has to give you 4 weeks notice if she wants to leave.

There is not much you can do about it, I suppose. Sorry

Jelly Baby
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah i guess not its just she is going to be lucky to get a space at this rate at the nursery (her prob i know) and im going to start looking aroud soon just incase! Ide much rather have her dd but hey!

08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I know it is frustrating. Especially when parents pick you up and drop you.
She does only have to give you 4 weeks notice and equally you to her. Maybe you should consider a new placement ( if that is viable) or telling Mum that you have had an enquiry so you need to know what she is doing.
The fact that she cannot make her mind up is a clear sign that you are doing a great job.
Make her realise how important you are. I would jusy stay professional but at the same time try and force the decision because its unfair to leave you hanging in the balance.
i know thats easy for me to say as its not my income potentially decreasing

Hope it goes well

Good Luck

08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
perhaps she is waiting for her child to be able to have the nursery grant. Is the child 3 yet what month is their birthday? As my child will be 3 in April but will not get grant until September/October.

08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I was also going to ask when child actually turns 3 as funding only becomes available the term after they turn 3. So if birthday in Feb / March, funding will be in the summer term (after easter), but if birthday is April onwards, then funding will only be in the autumn term (after sept).

doesn't help the mum with the decision but it will give you a timeframe of what may happen when .....

Chimps Childminding
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Its really annoying when they keep you guessing or they mention something like sending the child to nursery, forgetting that it actually affects you.

One of my mums mentioned the other day that as her ds will be 3 in June she was looking at putting him into nursery in September as he will be entitled to the funding. what she hasn't told me is whether he will be going on the 2 days I have him (g/parents look after him rest of the week) and if so whether or not I loose him altogether or whether I will be taking/picking up! It makes perfect sense to me for him to go on my days (and not use me) as it would save her money, but she hasn't said either way.

As said they only have to give 4 weeks notice, so I may find out in August :laughing: It would just be nice to know whether I need to fill his space :(

Jelly Baby
10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi thanks for the replys. Well this morning the parents boss rung and said his wife had been rushed into hospital (works for a couple who are ill) again due to a possible second stroke so the mum said i do care but i may lose my job and thats the nursery place sorted..asked after her this afternoon and no news so hope she is ok..i guess now it's just a case of waiting to see if she is ok or not..poor woman.